Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody freelanced Venice For Tuna?

Been to Venice 3 times, offshore twice, they didn't want to fish the third time because it was 4x6 blowing 20kts.

November, March and Sept.

Probably a learning curve to it and like other areas charter guys won't respond well to you following them to their rigs and areas.

Go for it, and enjoy

Personally I'd rather go somewhere to watch a pack of yft eat 7 out of 8 baits trolling but I had fun. Cut a whiffle ball bat, chunk baits and live/chunk chum.

If you can find fish here, use the same knowledge and look in the gulf. I bet somebody on THT probably has a chip that will set you up with what you need if you look in the gulf/classifiedsl

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Personally I'd rather go somewhere to watch a pack of yft eat 7 out of 8 baits trolling but I had fun. Cut a whiffle ball bat, chunk baits and live/chunk chum.

If you can find fish here, use the same knowledge and look in the gulf. I bet somebody on THT probably has a chip that will set you up with what you need if you look in the gulf/classifiedsl
    Mars and Ursa for us. Tons of life all over those rigs when we were there. But if it’s not there you can burn a lot of gas bumping around rig to rig with 3,000 of them out there. Crazy thing was the green and brown water 15-20 miles out and 300-400’ deep. They catch wahoo, tuna, dolphin, marlin etc. in water you’d catch Spanish or kings in close here. I’d love to go back in a few years.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 03-02-2024 at 04:47 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm heading down March 10 we're fishing with Brett Ryan

Have a 27ft Seahunt with radar. Thanks for all the info and PM's sent. Will be 3 guys maybe 4.
    It's going to take a bunch of stars to align for this to happen.
    Low country redneck who moved north

When I lived down there I learned pretty quick that the gulf forecast and what we’re used to is very different. 4’ stacked seas down there are no joke especially when you need to run 100 miles to get home. Weather can change quickly and you don’t want to FAFO running any of the smaller passes if you don’t know what you’re doing. All the spots mentioned- lump, Mars, etc will generally hold fish- use your radar and see where the boats are congregated and start there. Good suggestions on here for tackle and technique- bit of a learning curve when chunking but you will figure it out if the fish are biting. Don’t discount trolling!

** edit to add- don’t leave the dock in the fog!
    Last edited by bitesize; 03-02-2024 at 02:11 PM.

VERY cool video. My kind of fishermen

SEA PRO rules

Not sure if this helps you at all but out in my neck of the woods "people" use MarineTraffic to get a general idea of where the bite might be happening.

Doesn't really help much if the boats in the area are Not using AIS though.