Thread: Robot Vacuums

Default Robot Vacuums

Too many things in our world come described as a panacea. I remember that ten years ago, we were told all TVs would be 3D in five years; now, they are almost non-existent in the consumer space. Having two dogs, I thought that the idea of a vacuum that would clean my house while I was away and suck up dog hair was a cruel joke, if not an outright fantasy. I waited a few years, and after testimonials from friends, I bought a relatively cheap one (~$150) to see how it worked. Not only did it work well, it amazed me how it found its way back to its base to charge daily.

My only issue was that the collection bin required me to empty it daily. Also, it regularly filled up before its charge was used, resulting in uncleaned areas. So I broke bad and bought one that empties itself in its base. So it this an excuse to be lazy? Well, yes, but it does a better job than I could or would do and does it DAILY. It goes under beds, tables, and sweeps and sucks up particles so fine that it is like powder. It also has dog poo detection and will not run over or get snagged on cords. This model works with Alexa; however, I just have it set on a schedule each day from Monday-Friday. Having teenage boys in my house, it is nice to know that something is doing what is told while I am at work. I have the Roomba J7+ and got it as a return from Amazon for $299. Check back if it is out of stock as they refresh this as they get them in from returns. Comes with a full warranty. MG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CK7FC9KD...roduct_details
    Dum Spiro Spero

They’re great. I don’t look at it as lazy, I look at it as efficient. There are definitely still areas that will require normal vacuuming every so often but if you have dogs it really helps with the day to day hair accumulation.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

They leave marks on baseboards and furniture is my only gripe.
    Low country redneck who moved north

If ours is running I swear it knows which room to find me in, just so it can bump shit and annoy me. Also, if you have a puppy or an untrained dog.. they will make a mess out of some dog poop.

Have one, turned it off. Bought a nice broom and cordless vacuum.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I drop kick ours every time it wanders into my office and gets 'lost'. Drives me nuts.

I don't know if it works well or not, we have a cleaner come in once a week and she uses the vacuum for at least an hour so it can't be that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    We did the same. I found that all of them start messing up after a year or so. They're awesome when they work, but don't expect it to be a long term fix. I also couldn't stand to hear it run. I'd rather vacuum the house myself then hear that thing run for hours.
    Last edited by Remy; 02-29-2024 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    If ours is running I swear it knows which room to find me in, just so it can bump shit and annoy me. Also, if you have a puppy or an untrained dog.. they will make a mess out of some dog poop.
    I schedule mine when I am at work and none on the weekends for that reason. This model guarantees it will not run over poop, and if it does, they will replace the entire unit. All kinds of funny YouTube videos of them testing it. Luckily, I am still a few years away from puppy life again. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

My wife's first one hit a glob.. she thought at first she could clean it, then she got me. I automatically told her to toss it, and I'd order another one.

i teach my dog to shit outside.

wish I could teach em to shed outside, too
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

You could teach yourself to put the dogs outside and you would have taught them how to shed outside.
    DILLIGAF

Wife just upgraded to one that mops as well as vacuums.

It does better than I imagined but still have to pull the mop bucket out and hit a few spots.

I'm shocked ours still works, since I've kicked it no less than 50 times since it follows me around. I also dont play soccer so that might explain things. We have moved it out of the house and into the guest area to clean down there so I don't have to listen to it anymore. They are tough machines though between my kicking and my son sitting on it and pushing it around and its still going

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    You could teach yourself to put the dogs outside and you would have taught them how to shed outside.
    true.
    i'll let you tell my wife.
    TIA
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I got one I will sell you. It's been used once. It will not climb over the lip of the rug. It's basically trash.

We bought a Eufy.

Wife loves it. It runs when I am not there. It mops also. She mops the house once a week now. It does a good job of keeping up.

Pretty sure if I bought one it would learn how to say "F-off; I quit!" and would escape out the front door within a week.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

My robo vacuum never hits dog poop.

I also taught Barkley to shed outside......because that's where he lives. I do let him sleep in the garage.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Y'all don't have wives?
    Carolina Counsel