View Poll Results: Should there be a state wide ban on the use of these loud mufflers during duck season

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

71 66.98%
  • no

35 33.02%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mud motors

Quote Originally Posted by DuvnDux View Post
    While we’re at it, let’s ban bright ass headlights on our roads. My night vision went to hell a few years ago but those lights are a nuisance and dangerous. I get an overwhelming urge to practice my marksmanship skills when driving at night. As for the mud motors, we need to bring back spanking children and teaching them respect. As for the adults with no respect , a good ass whooping at the ramp should curb some of it. I like the idea of anything outside of the main channel or big water being a no wake zone and that’s the ONLY government “help” with the problem that is needed. From an enforcement standpoint (and yes I’m qualified to speak on that subject) a no wake zone is easy enough to enforce if witnessed by an officer. Banning a “tool” that many have because a few misuse it is way too close to mirroring another agenda that wants to ban “tools” that many of us have and use responsibly. Now get off my lawn.
    Windshield tint will help with the bright headlights.

Also they tried the ass whippin on a guy out here this year and got arrested for it. Kid deserved it too.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I spent a lot of time out there over the winter and most hunters and all the biologists want a shorter season and reduced limits.
    The only people out here fighting this are selfish assholes that don’t care if they see the population hit zero as long as they get theirs. A lot of discussions are still going strong about moving towards this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Nobody pays attention to no wake zones. During duck season or not.
    That is correct. Several places I hunt supposedly stopped the boat race but we still ran every morning I hunted. Started right at the no wake signs.No wake without policing will never work and there aren’t enough wardens to enforce that. Anything other than a ban is just like a “25” at the bayou. There are plenty of worked 40s that don’t get questioned with 25 stickers. With the exhaust ban I saw just as many bored 2 stroked and voodoo mud motors as any year prior.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    We had enough sense to ban airboats ……
    No way to make them quieter where a muffler change on a mm makes a huge difference
    80-20 Genaration

"I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    No way to make them quieter where a muffler change on a mm makes a huge difference
    Huge difference? Come on Bo….

If there was a Perimeter ditch around your entire club in Arkansas, would you let me run a mudmotor in it with the muffler of your choice?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Have you put in at Packs, 601, Low Falls, etc. recently? How many have changed their muffler to a quieter one?

What’s the trend nowadays? Louder, bigger, bored out, bigger exhaust.

I know you know the two lakes like the back of your hand, but surely you aren’t that ignorant to say that quieter muffler changes are becoming the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Have you put in at Packs, 601, Low Falls, etc. recently? How many have changed their muffler to a quieter one?

I know you know the two lakes like the back of your hand, but surely you aren’t that ignorant to say that quieter muffler changes are becoming the trend.
    I think he’s saying you can’t make an air boat quieter but you can make a mud boat quieter. Never got anything from this stating it’s a trend?

They are gasoline engines.

Why can't the factory make mudmotors quiet?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Drilled exhaust on a 2 smoke is no where near as loud as a mud motor. I agree they are a problem. Was crappie fishing Sunday and here comes one by on lake standing up while driving thinking he's hot shit in daddy's money's boat. I think they should all have a muffler that is quiet. Or atleast as quiet at a stock fourwheeler exhaust
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Arkansas found you can't regulate stock exhaust and are looking to ban them on WMAs again. I think the state should ban them. In the hands of the right people, they are a great tool. However, there are a lot more people who abuse their power and destroy habitat and send waterfowl elsewhere. It's only a partial solution to the problem but a step in the right direction. I did just fine this season without one, just required more walking. Most waterways in SC do not need a mud motor to be successful and by eliminating them would allow waterfowl areas to rest on public ground.
    Ducks aren’t going to rest on public because people won’t allow it. That’s a fact. Ban mm ain’t fixing shit and banning 3” shells ain’t stopping skybusting.
    80-20 Genaration

Don’t allow mud motors two weeks prior and during duck season. Other types of fishing are not allowed during certain seasons. Certain methods or baits are not allowed on some waters. Seems simple enough. All this muffler shit isn’t really enforceable.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post

That was aimed at Bog about airboats. And yes most these days want louder bigger bored out and faster
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Huge difference? Come on Bo….

If there was a Perimeter ditch around your entire club in Arkansas, would you let me run a mudmotor in it with the muffler of your choice?
    With the right muffler it’s no different than a 4 wheeler.
    80-20 Genaration

Back in the 70's, 80's and even the first half of the 90's, you didn't see most ducks jumping several hundred yards away due to an outboard going by. You could still finish ducks with an outboard idling by at 300 yards. Now, even if it's a half mile away and the mud motor is at the landing, you can give up on working ducks. You see ducks jumping on the far side of a lake if a mm is running. I've often seen mallards jumping out the timber from a mm just running up a river. Outboards rarely cause that. All my hunting is on public land so it may be different on private.
    Last edited by skrimp; 02-29-2024 at 06:11 AM.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

y’all worried about mud motors?

i’d be more concerned with the corn pond dorks that are paying for farm raised ducks.
    Tamie’s have and are ruining the resources.
    Windows Down!

DT,

You are welcome to ride with me up to the 601 sandbar this spring/summer and do some “field research” if you want to!

i just read three pages of people bitching about stuff and all you really needed to do was send DT and email and *poof* everything is fixed.

sounds like we just need to ban people.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

With the right muffler it’s no different than a 4 wheeler.
    Why aren't 4 wheelers allowed on State and Federal lands in SC for deer and turkey hunting? What would be the impact on public deer and turkey hunting be if 4 wheelers were allowed 24/7?

What invention since 2003 has given public duck hunters the ease of operation of an outboard and the access to remote areas in the marsh similar to an airboat?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

This is dumb ass shit! When does it stop? I'm no fan but to each his own!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    This is dumb ass shit! When does it stop? I'm no fan but to each his own!
    Exactly… like I said they live miserable life’s they always have to find something wrong with something or someone
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-29-2024 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i just read three pages of people bitching about stuff and all you really needed to do was send DT and email and *poof* everything is fixed.

sounds like we just need to ban people.
    hear! hear!