View Poll Results: Should there be a state wide ban on the use of these loud mufflers during duck season

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

71 66.98%
  • no

35 33.02%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mud motors

Arkansas found you can't regulate stock exhaust and are looking to ban them on WMAs again. I think the state should ban them. In the hands of the right people, they are a great tool. However, there are a lot more people who abuse their power and destroy habitat and send waterfowl elsewhere. It's only a partial solution to the problem but a step in the right direction. I did just fine this season without one, just required more walking. Most waterways in SC do not need a mud motor to be successful and by eliminating them would allow waterfowl areas to rest on public ground.
    For the ducks

Seen plenty of 4stroke outboards scare off birds.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Seen plenty of 4stroke outboards scare off birds.
    Anything can spook birds but does it send them to another pocket or another state? One body of water I hunt was covered up with birds 2 weeks before the season. Fishermen running everywhere in outboards and the birds didn't care. You could see 1000+ from the ramp. The weekend before the season all the mud boat idiots show up and I didn't see 50 the next week. People can argue all they want but they exponentially affect waterfowl because the idiots that run them have no common sense. Common sense will not return so therefore something must be done to slow the bleeding.
    For the ducks

"Should there be a STATEWIDE ban on the use of SURFACE DRIVE mud motors on public waterways 2 weeks before and during duck / goose season" YES

If not, why don't we open all State WMA properties to 4 wheeler access? It's a "tool" right? "It's the operator, not the motor" that causes disturbance...............right? LOL
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Texas limited the size props on mud motors on state property when I was stationed down there, not sure if they still do that but it had an effect for sure. I'd like to see a minimum distance between hunting parties here. Sucks when you set up on your spot on public ground hour and a half before shooting light just to have someone drop in and set up 75 yards from you 10 minutes before first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Anything can spook birds but does it send them to another pocket or another state? One body of water I hunt was covered up with birds 2 weeks before the season. Fishermen running everywhere in outboards and the birds didn't care. You could see 1000+ from the ramp. The weekend before the season all the mud boat idiots show up and I didn't see 50 the next week. People can argue all they want but they exponentially affect waterfowl because the idiots that run them have no common sense. Common sense will not return so therefore something must be done to slow the bleeding.
    But you’re leaving out a lot of variables. How many times a day do people ride through the birds two weeks prior to season verse the two weeks leading up to the season? How many impoundments are dry or low level two weeks prior up to the season verse two weeks leading up to season? How many people shot the weekend before for youth and veterans weekend? If birds were left alone they would be fine doesn’t matter if it’s an outboard or a mud motor. Go to any other state that has birds look at limited access areas verse open public. Where has more birds?

The only way a mud motor has anymore effect on birds rhan an outboard is getting into back water. I have owned a mud motor for 20 years and I am all for limited access areas, but to outlaw a mud motor or muffler is stupid.
    Last edited by 12341234; 02-28-2024 at 03:08 PM.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Some of y’all missed your calling as president of the HOA….

I think some of yall should just stop bitching about everything I swear yall live a miserable life. Always got to find something to complain about when things don’t go your way. They could ban every tool and y’all would still bitch and cry. Oh…And I own a mud motor and don’t worry mid motor companies are already working on building them like a outboard but they still perform like a mud motor.
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-28-2024 at 03:45 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    But you’re leaving out a lot of variables. How many times a day do people ride through the birds two weeks prior to season verse the two weeks leading up to the season? How many impoundments are dry or low level two weeks prior up to the season verse two weeks leading up to season? How many people shot the weekend before for youth and veterans weekend? If birds were left alone they would be fine doesn’t matter if it’s an outboard or a mud motor. Go to any other state that has birds look at limited access areas verse open public. Where has more birds?

The only way a mud motor has anymore effect on birds rhan an outboard is getting into back water. I have owned a mud motor for 20 years and I am all for limited access areas, but to outlaw a mud motor or muffler is stupid.
    I'm not talking SC, I'm talking Arkansas on what I've seen. Youth hunt isn't until December. There are very few private holes in this area, all are still dry when the season starts, and primarily only public. The Saturday before the season when mud motors are everywhere versus the massive amount of fishermen out in the weeks prior. Only thing that changes is adding mud motors. After they start riding, you see very few birds except in the rest area. They do make a difference because people are lazy. If people can't ride all the way in to them you have a lot fewer hunters pressuring them.
    For the ducks

What if everything outside the channel was a no wake zone
    2 weeks before to 2 weeks after duck season?

While we’re at it, let’s ban bright ass headlights on our roads. My night vision went to hell a few years ago but those lights are a nuisance and dangerous. I get an overwhelming urge to practice my marksmanship skills when driving at night. As for the mud motors, we need to bring back spanking children and teaching them respect. As for the adults with no respect , a good ass whooping at the ramp should curb some of it. I like the idea of anything outside of the main channel or big water being a no wake zone and that’s the ONLY government “help” with the problem that is needed. From an enforcement standpoint (and yes I’m qualified to speak on that subject) a no wake zone is easy enough to enforce if witnessed by an officer. Banning a “tool” that many have because a few misuse it is way too close to mirroring another agenda that wants to ban “tools” that many of us have and use responsibly. Now get off my lawn.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 02-28-2024 at 06:36 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Yes to a ban on non stock mufflers. I'd much prefer a total ban on mud motors. I've seen how bad they push birds off public water in quite a few states. Some people would rather not break a sweat when hunting and those don't care about keeping the waterfowl. Pretty selfish in my opinion.
    No mud motors and a 30 and 3 season ending Jan. 15th would do wonders for duck hunting not only in SC but in the whole country.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    ..... a 30 and 3 season ending Jan. 15th would do wonders for duck hunting not only in SC but in the whole country.
    Lol maybe the eastern half of the country. But I don't think you're gonna convince the western half to drop to 30 and 3.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Lol maybe the eastern half of the country. But I don't think you're gonna convince the western half to drop to 30 and 3.
    I spent a lot of time out there over the winter and most hunters and all the biologists want a shorter season and reduced limits.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I spent a lot of time out there over the winter and most hunters and all the biologists want a shorter season and reduced limits.
    If the bag limit is 6, ya gotta keep going further
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

You’re an idiot if you argue that 4strokes are as detrimental as mud motors.

Don’t ban them, this is America, a man should be able to own whatever motor he wants. Ban loud exhaust, muffler mods and set a decimal limit on all motors used while hunting waterfowl.

might as well ban 4x4 trucks, makes it too easy to get said boats to remote areas........i for one am tired of restrictions. kill them all stomp the eggs

Mud motors or aftermarket mud motor mufflers?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    What if everything outside the channel was a no wake zone
    2 weeks before to 2 weeks after duck season?
    Nobody pays attention to no wake zones. During duck season or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

No to banning mud motors. Decibel limit would be a great idea. Maybe a ban of aftermarket mufflers or muffler mods. I completely agree they are loud and add disturbance to birds but people need to be grown up and responsible. There are laws on the books regarding rallying waterfowl. How about that be enforced on anyone riding through groups of birds while “scouting”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk