View Poll Results: Should there be a state wide ban on the use of these loud mufflers during duck season

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

71 66.98%
  • no

35 33.02%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mud motors

Default Mud motors

I have been asked to get your opinion on this topic. It is not my idea nor have I formed an opinion.

We all know mud motors are loud and contribute to a waterfowl disturbance problem.

This question goes a step further. Apparently there is a trend to install aftermarket "performance mufflers" that have a small improvement in horsepower but a large increase in engine noise. Some have removable baffles that are removed to call attention to the boater.

The poll question is: Should there be a state wide ban on the use of these loud mufflers during duck season?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

They also have aftermarket performance mufflers to quiet them down, I own one. Its a noticeable difference, when I got my new motor the first thing that hit me was I have got to get this muffler switched out ASAP.
    Good to talk, see you out there!

We don’t need more rules. We need more common sense.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    Haven't seen a positive trend in that category in a while.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

i'm still not sure who the hell invited BSD
    that's all I got
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You can wish In one hand and crap in the other, and see which fills up first.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I have a 13hp long tail with a header. Welded on a muffler from a 500cc ninja motor cycle. So much quieter.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

We had enough sense to ban airboats ……
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

How about a state wide ban on loud mufflers on everything. Cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, the works.

I voted yes.

The public benefit outweighs the private "right" to annoy the F*** out of the rest of us and disturb the whole dang lake/river. Since common sense has obviously not prevailed , i see limited options except for implementing a restriction.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    We had enough sense to ban airboats ……
    This. There is no place for all that noise during times when migratory birds are present.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    How about a state wide ban on loud mufflers on everything. Cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, the works.
    I can get behind this. Some of those squatted trucks are so loud I'm sure those guys will be deaf by 50.

The only ban on airboats is from upper santee river to 95 on marion, you can run them anywhere else during the season besides below the salt/freshwater line.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I can get behind this. Some of those squatted trucks are so loud I'm sure those guys will be deaf by 50.
    It's awful. Trucks, yes. Now we have these japanese "drifters" rolling around in glorified roller skates makin' racket too. Donorcycles used to be the majority of it but it's spreading like crazy to other "hey look at me" groups.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.D. View Post
    They also have aftermarket performance mufflers to quiet them down, I own one. Its a noticeable difference, when I got my new motor the first thing that hit me was I have got to get this muffler switched out ASAP.
    Good on you. A real issue would be expecting law enforcement to recognize louder or softer because of the part change.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

so if it is a stock muffler is that ok? what about those outboard with drilled out exhaust? or are we banning all mud motors?
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Well, we all know that ain't happening, so I say ban not only the mufflers, but the motors as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I don't like mud motors. I owned a long tail years ago, I've been in an outboard ever since. A mm would make my life much easier hunting wise, but I hate hearing it.

I also don't like the government telling me what I can/can't own or use though.

If I had to make a rule, it would be to not allow them over a certain decibel, but that seems nit picky and a bitch to regulate.

A quiet mud motor can still tear across a backwater shallow flat and spook birds into the next county

Reckon we should ban Apache Helicopters from flying over the swamp too????