Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnny Football

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I don't mind the NIL money. I think that being able to freely transfer without sitting out a year is doing more harm than the money aspect.
    I ageee 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe NIL has been around for awhile. It just wasn't as "structured" as it is today. "Incentives" have been offered to certain athletes for a long time. Those snot noses were enabled. I'm sure boosters mention the fine academics said school offers to the young lad. Isn't the bookstores profiting directly off individuals by offering only certain jersey numbers? Probably just randomly selected ones.

Todd Gurley sitting out because he got paid to sign his name. AJ Green sat out because he sold his bowl jersey. All the while, Bama's athlete parking lot looks like a sports car expo. It was just paid for with money the family saved because of the scholarship.

Scam Newton was better than both of them. Sadly.

It's hard for me to say anything negative about anything he did. I wouldn't have ever been caught making the money he did the way he was doing it...I was too chickens*t to do something like that back in the day...too honest to do it now. That said, had I been in his shoes, you wouldn't have been able to tell me a damn thing, and I would have been dead or in prison before I hit 21.

I fully realize that I fell in the extreme left fringes of the maturity bell curve when I was 18-20 years old, but I still think that we are going to see some horrifically tragic situations play out now that NIL is making a bunch of 18-21 year olds think that they are "F-U rich." Hopefully the universities and coaches actually care enough to have great money management programs in place to help these kids not screw up their lives with the money they are getting.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I haven't paid attention to most of this NIL money deal, but are these kids getting NIL money and scholarship money? If so that seems excessive. They should be able to get one or the other I would think

I think scholarship money is what it is...it would have to be the same as always, because NIL deals (amounts and start dates etc) are going to vary from player to player and year to year. The whole thing seems to be just a mismanaged cluster put together to be able to claim that the schools aren't actually paying players for their services.

It would be great to think that the free market system would work here, and that players would be paid according to their market worth by businesses to endorse their products etc, but it was certainly known that in college athletics...football particularly...this would have little to do with paying players for endorsements vs outbidding the competition. It was and is stupid.

The major conferences need to take this bull by the balls, vote to allow the schools to pay players any way they wish up to some agreed upon overall limit, agree that each sport gets the same limit (free market will take care of itself in all the sports other than FB and MBB), make the process ultra transparent, and make it where every player gets some pre-determined minimum piece of the pie as a baseline.

The individual contracts should be annual so that they can be adjusted according to the players' worth to the team they are on, and the renegotiation period should be complete two weeks prior to the first transfer portal opening. There should be reasonable guidelines in place that allow the player to earn or fail to earn the money agreed to in the annual contract that protects the player (in case of injury etc) and protects the school (in case the player breaks team rules etc). Payment should be made bi-weekly or bi-monthly and be subject to fulfillment of specified obligations.

Players would damn sure be competing their asses off to earn better contracts the next year regardless of transfer portal, and the overall "salary cap" would go a long way toward preventing a situation where a handful of schools sit back and snipe desired players to enhance their teams and snipe other players to simply hurt their competitors...think Bear Bryant at AL with no scholarship limitations.

Seems pretty damn simple so long as you don't want to pretend that it's all about name, image, and likeness endorsements.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 02-29-2024 at 02:09 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!