Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Football

Default Johnny Football

Just got done watching his interview with Shannon Sharpe. He actually seems to be a very bright dude who just made some really bad decisions. He seems to have owned it and has made some major changes in his life. I'll have to admit, it would be hard to watch your school make $45 million in jersey sales and not see a penny of it.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-29-2024 at 08:17 AM.

Jonathan Football > Tim Tebow. Not even close.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

oh no you didn't...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Again, not even close. Tebow was maintenance for a ridiculously talented team. Pretty sure all the skill guys he played with ended up being Sunday guys. I could've won a *natty with them guys. You too, Toof.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Need to watch the Untold: Johnny Football on Netflix.
    Good to talk, see you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Again, not even close. Tebow was maintenance for a ridiculously talented team. Pretty sure all the skill guys he played with ended up being Sunday guys. I could've won a *natty with them guys. You too, Toof.
    a lot of the guys he played with ended up in prison as well. Pretty sure that Florida team was stacked with inmates

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.D. View Post
    Need to watch the Untold: Johnny Football on Netflix.
    I believe I watched it when it came out. I will give him credit, he owns his mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    a lot of the guys he played with ended up in prison as well. Pretty sure that Florida team was stacked with inmates
    Tony Joiner killed his baby mama

The one on Netflix….I can’t even watch all of it. Hard to believe somebody could be that dumb
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

you been on the tickety tok? instaface?
    there's a lot of data there on the levels of dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Just got done watching his interview with Shannon Sharpe. He actually seems to be a very bright dude who just made some really bad decisions. He seems to have owned it and has made some major changes in his life. I'll have to admit, it would be hard to watch your school make $45 million in jersey sales and not see a penny of it.
    Yeah I’m gonna have to disagree with you there on the jersey sales. Every athlete pre NIL knows that going in. I’m already tired of 18 year olds thinking they’re worth 4-5 million dollars of NIL money or they won’t sign with a college team. Pre NIL every D1 football player was getting a stipend, free college, free room and board, free health care at a minimum. If people, those athletes included, don’t think they’re getting paid, they should write a check for all of the above. Additionally, they’re all playing on a platform where if they’re good enough they have a chance through the combine to leverage their experience into an NFL offer and possible millions of dollars of generational money that they have to EARN. NIL ship has sailed but I’m just tired of hearing people say oh he should get some jersey sales revenue from the school....BULLSHIT. every other major corporation, your work product belongs to the company. You invent something while working at a company like 3m or a drug co, company owns it. I’m sick of telling athletes they’re special from the rest of the world. That’s how we got to NIL to begin with.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Yeah I’m gonna have to disagree with you there on the jersey sales. Every athlete pre NIL knows that going in. I’m already tired of 18 year olds thinking they’re worth 4-5 million dollars of NIL money or they won’t sign with a college team. Pre NIL every D1 football player was getting a stipend, free college, free room and board, free health care at a minimum. If people, those athletes included, don’t think they’re getting paid, they should write a check for all of the above. Additionally, they’re all playing on a platform where if they’re good enough they have a chance through the combine to leverage their experience into an NFL offer and possible millions of dollars of generational money that they have to EARN. NIL ship has sailed but I’m just tired of hearing people say oh he should get some jersey sales revenue from the school....BULLSHIT. every other major corporation, your work product belongs to the company. You invent something while working at a company like 3m or a drug co, company owns it. I’m sick of telling athletes they’re special from the rest of the world. That’s how we got to NIL to begin with.
    That’s very easy to say sitting on this side of the table. If you’re 18 in his shoes, I GUARANTEE it wouldn’t sit well with you.

I hate the state of college football but I absolutely believe in capitalism. It’s not NIL that I dislike as much as the transfer portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the ultimate hypocrite thing for me. College football is ruined to me. I believe in capitalism. It is amazing that the University sells a few jersey numbers at any given time. Not like you can go and buy 0-99. I find it silly that grown men wear jerseys. There is a reason why certain jersey numbers sell.
    Manziel was fun to watch. His last college game, look what he did in the bowl game against Duke.

We do not have a true capitalist economy in America.
    DILLIGAF

I don't mind the NIL money. I think that being able to freely transfer without sitting out a year is doing more harm than the money aspect.

i am hoping coach saban fixes some of this. he said something to the effect of "the term student athlete isn't true anymore."

i believe in capitalism too. But i dont give a rats ass what my 18yr old employee thinks. its absurd to think the player should benefit from all aspects of the business.

sorry, b35w. its not about the 18 yr olds "feelings."

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i am hoping coach saban fixes some of this. he said something to the effect of "the term student athlete isn't true anymore."

i believe in capitalism too. But i dont give a rats ass what my 18yr old employee thinks. its absurd to think the player should benefit from all aspects of the business.

sorry, b35w. its not about the 18 yr olds "feelings."
    So you don’t think an 18 year old should be able to go to an apparel manufacturer and strike his own deal and profit from said deal? I’m not arguing the university owes him anything but if someone else is capitalizing on my NIL, why shouldn’t I?

bc you're a snot nosed little 18yr old that cant even wipe himself well enough.

so, No, I dont think an 18yr old on scholarship to attend an undergraduate university should be able to benefit from what was given to them in the first place. an opportunity to play football. this is not a new concept. the "new" part is that we are raising a whiny ass generation that THINKS they are worth tons of money and will bitch and moan and instagram themselves into a pickle if they dont watch out. grown-ups still need to be grown ups and 18yr olds need to shut up and listen instead of spouting off like they are important. so, that's pretty much my basis for my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I don't mind the NIL money. I think that being able to freely transfer without sitting out a year is doing more harm than the money aspect.
    Absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bc you're a snot nosed little 18yr old that cant even wipe himself well enough.

so, No, I dont think an 18yr old on scholarship to attend an undergraduate university should be able to benefit from what was given to them in the first place. an opportunity to play football. this is not a new concept. the "new" part is that we are raising a whiny ass generation that THINKS they are worth tons of money and will bitch and moan and instagram themselves into a pickle if they dont watch out. grown-ups still need to be grown ups and 18yr olds need to shut up and listen instead of spouting off like they are important. so, that's pretty much my basis for my opinion.
    You’re worth what someone is willing to pay. If someone is willing to pony up then they are worth the money. Again, back to the silly argument that some degree from an institution makes you worthy of compensation is silly.

I dont think the university owes him anything but an athlete should absolutely be able to negotiate their own “deal” outside the university.