Thread: 'Maters

Default 'Maters

i start stuff from seed every year because i'm bored.
    i actually read the directions this year and bought them little jiffy pot thingies and little wafers of dirt that expand.
    it says to put two or three seeds in every hole. So, I did.
    Now, I have 2 or 3 tomatoes growing in each one.
    That seems silly. Am I supposed to kill all but one?
    I dont get it. I know its likely simple but i need validation for my organic decision that putting more than one seed in there is kinda silly when they are all gonna grow?

Trump '24

is the cotyledon the same thing as a leaf?
    it says to take cover off and start with sunlight after they get a leaf.

i've been singing to them and taking them outside when its nice out.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I almost texted yesterday about me having the urge to plant tomatoes.. it was so pretty out. I moved dirt, and looked at what I had growing already. Don't buy shallots for a couple of years, and I have been working on my natural shroom woods.

I don't like killing off little plants that way, seems barbaric. Like when you plant hills on squash varieties.

Let all three of 'em grow

I like cucumbers
    More fuel = more boost!!

Be sure to cover the plants when you have tomato blooms / fruit.... keep the worms from getting them. Evoio bags are the tits.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I almost texted yesterday about me having the urge to plant tomatoes.. it was so pretty out. I moved dirt, and looked at what I had growing already. Don't buy shallots for a couple of years, and I have been working on my natural shroom woods.

I don't like killing off little plants that way, seems barbaric. Like when you plant hills on squash varieties.
    What are you doing for your natural shroom woods? Chants, morels, oysters, shitaki's, or what? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by hickory View Post
    What are you doing for your natural shroom woods? Chants, morels, oysters, shitaki's, or what? Just curious.
    Me too
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Cow patties mostly.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

chanterelles mainly, I have done some spore thingys of lion's mane.. that's probably my favorite, but no clue how long it'll be or if it'll work. I have a couple good spots for chants already, but I thought it'd be cool around the house.. I have enough room, and I built with this pretty bottom on one side that just looks like it should hold some.

Cotyledons are the first 2 leaves you see, basically the 2 halves of the seed. They will die as the plant puts on "true" leaves. Don't waste seed by putting 3 in there, the germ rate on tomatoes is generally high. But if you insist, put 2-3 seeds in the pot and clip off the 2 worst looking ones once they put on 2-3 true leaves. Singing won't help, just like most of the home remedies and "pawpaw did it every year" stuff. If you want more tomatoes, plant more or get better at growing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

"pawpaw", I began a couple years ago spreading those in the bottom too..

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    chanterelles mainly, I have done some spore thingys of lion's mane.. that's probably my favorite, but no clue how long it'll be or if it'll work. I have a couple good spots for chants already, but I thought it'd be cool around the house.. I have enough room, and I built with this pretty bottom on one side that just looks like it should hold some.
    I didn't think it was possible to start chanterelles mycelium, but who knows. I've heard of a sigle flush from transporting mycelium in to a flower pot, but not reoccurring in the wild. Certainly won't hurt. I usually toss about 30 pounds a year of culled or aging chants in my compost. Hoping to see one pop out one day, but hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Cotyledons are the first 2 leaves you see, basically the 2 halves of the seed. They will die as the plant puts on "true" leaves. Don't waste seed by putting 3 in there, the germ rate on tomatoes is generally high. But if you insist, put 2-3 seeds in the pot and clip off the 2 worst looking ones once they put on 2-3 true leaves. Singing won't help, just like most of the home remedies and "pawpaw did it every year" stuff. If you want more tomatoes, plant more or get better at growing them.
    i grow the shit out of tomatoes.
    i agree the cotyledon isnt a true leaf. They should explain that better.
    I'm still gonna sing. You can stop this....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-27-2024 at 12:33 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th is over there serenading them to the sweet sounds of Clarence Carter.

I'll find out on the chanterelles, I've read a little bit on them.. doing spores. It won't break my heart if it doesn't work, I still have a great spot for them.

2th, if you really can't stand killing off perfectly good seedlings (I can't anyway), you can just rinse the dirt off their roots and gently separate them when they're 4-6" tall and repot/replant them. They take abuse pretty well. Clipping all but the best is easier though.

I just transplanted a couple dozen pawpaw root suckers that I flagged in the summer. The internet says they won't survive, but I had at least 75% survival last year. I have a couple hundred pawpaw and persimmon seeds stratifying in the fridge, too. Need to get them planted before long.

If you figure out how to foster chanterelles, I'd love to hear about it. I have a hillside patch 75 yards from the back door that produces a bunch if it rains in the summer, but intentionally growing them would be neat.