Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake Breaking for a bird dog

Default Snake Breaking for a bird dog

Does any one know a dog trainer who does snake breaking for bird dogs. I have a friend out of Savannah who is looking to have his dog trained/conditioned.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

It's pretty easy to do when it's warm and you have access to snakes.

I did it in two sessions, once with a copperhead and once with a water moccasin.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

How did you do it?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Get close and smell a snake and shock the hell out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    How did you do it?
    I coiled up a fresh killed copperhead and placed it on a path. I let the dog out and we walked around the front yard for a while before going into my wooded back yard. We finally approached the path from the downwind side. You could tell when she caught the scent and slowly approached. When she got within 2 ft I fried her with the shock collar on high. I did the same thing three weeks later with a water moccasin.

Months later I watched her freeze up and backed up from a tuff of grass. Yep there was a copperhead in it.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 02-20-2024 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I coiled up a fresh killed copperhead and placed it on a path. I let the dog out and we walked around the front yard for a while before going into my wooded back yard. We finally approached the path from the downwind side. You could tell when she caught the scent and slowly approached. When she got within 2 ft I fried her with the shock collar on high. I did the same thing three weeks later with a water moccasin.

Months later I watched her freeze up and backed up from a tuff of grass. Yep there was a copperhead in it.

Makes sense
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

I used the same process on my first two Goldens using a live Black snake and it worked like magic.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If he is part of NAVHDA, a guy came to the Carolinas Chapter a few years ago to train for them.

That may be a good resource as well.

I snake break my dogs but I so rarely run across venomous snakes for training that my youngest has only had one short lesson. I do think it is best to use a rattlesnake, moccasin or copperhead because snakes smell different. Rattlesnakes stink worse than most. I keep snake tongs on my 4-wheeler just for the chance to catch a snake for training. I use a cage for the training.

Snake breaking probably saved me from getting bitten a couple years ago. I was about to pull a tarp off of a tractor implement and my old dog stopped in his tracks and slowly back away from the edge. Sure enough, I lifted the tarp and a rattlesnake was under the edge, right where I intended to pick it up.

While training, I associate a unique sound with the presence of a snake so I can warn my dogs if I see one before they do. I use a sort of gravely "oooh" that they understand to mean snake and they know to watch their step and retreat. My old dog would go jump up on the 4-wheeler if I made the sound.

Without snake breaking, pointing dogs will often point a snake. It's pretty exciting to realize the quail you think you're trying to flush is a rattlesnake.

They sew the rattlesnakes mouths shut in Texas to train bird dogs. One pop and the dog won't ever let that happen again. The bite isn't what hurts.

All the information has been valuable and it is appreciated.

But, can anyone answer my question?

"Does any one know a dog trainer who does snake breaking for bird dogs?"
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

If your buddy will catch the snake, I will be happy to do the training part.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by CLEMSONDUCKHUNTER View Post
    They sew the rattlesnakes mouths shut in Texas to train bird dogs. One pop and the dog won't ever let that happen again. The bite isn't what hurts.
    That’s pretty neat
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

There used to be a few churches around that kept snakes. Or you could just tell that dog to quit sinning and he could walk among the snakes without fear.

In other news, do any of yall get your dogs vaccinated with a rattlesnake vaccine?
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    There used to be a few churches around that kept snakes. Or you could just tell that dog to quit sinning and he could walk among the snakes without fear.

In other news, do any of yall get your dogs vaccinated with a rattlesnake vaccine?
    I do, it’s relatively cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by CLEMSONDUCKHUNTER View Post
    That's what we do at church to train the youngins

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Marsh View Post
    All the information has been valuable and it is appreciated.

But, can anyone answer my question?

"Does any one know a dog trainer who does snake breaking for bird dogs?"
    stop with all this "answer my question without a story" bullshit

this is scf'ingducks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've done a lot of stupid shit in my life. Sewing a rattlesnake's mouth shut ain't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    I've done a lot of stupid shit in my life. Sewing a rattlesnake's mouth shut ain't one of them.
    It's not that hard to do. You just have to be kinda quick.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Exactly
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers