Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Hydrogen Outboard

Default Yamaha Hydrogen Outboard

I've always thought electric was nothing but a money grab. Is hydrogen it's killer?

https://yamahaoutboards.com/newsroom...rd-unveiled-at

If I remember correctly, storage was the initial issue with this concept. You need a lot of hydrogen to match the "range" of other fuel sources. Then, there is the debate about where it comes from. Yes, it is green when used, but the process of making it is not friendly. But everyone knows that is the same issue with batteries. It is the combustion that everyone is worried about on the environment.

We did a demo with Blue Gas, who did natural gas outboards, and the storage topic came up. Cummins gives a better explanation.

https://www.cummins.com/news/2022/10...as-vs-hydrogen
    Last edited by TJ_11; 02-20-2024 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added link

Hydrogen is real technology. Challenges in fuel delivery for sure.

I’ve seen engineering data on CAT generators and the performance associated with the same engine on other fuels.

Not sure I want a hydrogen vessel on my boat…

Great...now where do we get the hydrogen?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

You ever hear of the Hindenburg?
    DILLIGAF

That's just an old movie reel. I'm sure this will be fine.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Great...now where do we get the hydrogen?
    Isn't hydrogen the most abundant element in the known universe? Can we not separate it from water?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Isn't hydrogen the most abundant element in the known universe? Can we not separate it from water?
    Fossil fuels are the best and easiest ways to liberate hydrogen from the H2O molecule...

Solar PV and wind generation, all the sudden, get more useful if their output is used to convert water into hydrogen then the hydrogen can be stored, transported and used on-site and on-demand.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

It can be separated from water but it takes a lot of energy to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hydrogen is the real deal and it’s here to stay.

Power generation
    Fuel
    Fuel cell (hydrogen batteries)
    Electrolysis
    Etc.

Look at hydrogen fuel station in CA. They are everywhere. Hydrogen cars give the similar HP as gas but a lot more fuel efficient. The problem with it today is that it’s expensive but cost is coming down and it will soon be comparable to gas.

There are two or three hydrogen stations in Sc. Cola, flow town and Charleston I believe. There is another down in Augusta.

Efficiency is the problem.

Internal combustion ain't great. Regardless of fuel used.

Electric: 80/20 propulsion vs heat (roughly)
    Internal Combustion: 20/80

Therein lies the problem.

Couple a deregulated nuclear industry with electric vehicles and equipment as well as an updated power grid and you're back to world leader (and, it ain't close).

**I'll add battery tech has a long way to go. What we're doing now is nasty business and is NOT a sustainable platform with current technology.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I would want Fort Knox for a fuel storage tank! Imagine stopping at the stop sign and getting rear ended. What should be a minor accident turns into a freaking bomb!

I'm with Jab it seems simple being it should be easy to get, but they are using algae and all sorts of creative ways to "make" H....

Until we figure out how to just rip it out the air drill baby drill. We have plenty of oil and will not run out, and it just keeps making more and more.

And while the combustion engine isn't efficient it works great, and its man made laws that drive up the cost of the tech with self imposed CAFE standards. Which make no sense at all. Every self respecting marijuana green house grower has a Co2 producing machine. What did I just say??? Yes! So let's extrapolate this. I burn oil out the ground in my car (after being refined) it comes out the exhaust pipe goes into the air, trees and grass suck it up, and turn around and make this stuff called Oxygen, that turns out we 2 legged idiots need to live on.

Could it be a gift from God??? Sure seems like a heck of a good cycle to me.

Not saying H doesn't have a place, but it's when we can rip it from the atmosphere and dont have to store it, so you don't stock pile it and creat a fire hazard.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 02-20-2024 at 03:34 PM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    You ever hear of the Hindenburg?
    I wager people said the same think about driving around with gallons of gasoline under the seat when cars came out.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Happens every day on every submarine in the U.S. fleet. Water goes in, gets de-salinated, fresh water goes into O2 generator, O and H split, H goes overboard, O goes in a tank for breathing.

If A-gangers can do it, anyone can.

Precisely. I mean, it’s so simple we let A-Gangers do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Happens every day on every submarine in the U.S. fleet. Water goes in, gets de-salinated, fresh water goes into O2 generator, O and H split, H goes overboard, O goes in a tank for breathing.

If A-gangers can do it, anyone can.
    But isnt a desalinization plant rather expensive, energy wise? When you have your own built in nuclear power source, energy is the least of your concerns. Even then, y'all threw the H over board and didn't store it. The storing part after it is split will be an issue after the power issue.

To Geetchs point, people were much more intelligent back then, and more courageous! A drive, go get'er attitude. I doubt that crossed their minds. Plus I will put a lit cigaret out in a cup of gas. I will not do the same with a bottle of H. It's the fumes or actual gas not the liquid gasoline part that goes boom, just like H.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    But isnt a desalinization plant rather expensive, energy wise? When you have your own built in nuclear power source, energy is the least of your concerns. Even then, y'all threw the H over board and didn't store it. The storing part after it is split will be an issue after the power issue.

To Geetchs point, people were much more intelligent back then, and more courageous! A drive, go get'er attitude. I doubt that crossed their minds. Plus I will put a lit cigaret out in a cup of gas. I will not do the same with a bottle of H. It's the fumes or actual gas not the liquid gasoline part that goes boom, just like H.
    Desalination plant alt uses……

I ran a 10,000 gallon per day still on the boat for years. Simple. Set seawater level in the middle of the upper sight glass. Regulate flow to hold it there. Open the steam valve. Adjust flow to keep it in the middle of the upper sight glass. Make some pure ass water and send it to whomever needs it.

Some of that got sent to the A-Gangers who then ran some electricity through it to split the hydrogen and oxygen. The oxygen, being negatively charged, goes to a tank with a positive charge and the hydrogen, being positively charged goes to a tank with a negative.

PFM.

The hydrogen, being of no use to a submarine was vented overboard. The oxygen was used to sober up the submariners after port calls.

Vehicular hydrogen needs to be stored at very high pressure, but if you play your cards right you could have some hella good AC.

Id be in for good AC.....Did Sonny Ledford have AC when he wrote......that song???

I will not post it for fear of retribution.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

SCE&G can’t build a nuclear reactor but, the US government can. They have a small design for aircraft carriers and subs. Line the coast, mississippi, and the great lakes with them. Make hydrogen. Energy crisis solved.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.