Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1995 Mercury 40 hp technician

I know that you know this, but has anyone pumped the primer bulb while it's "breaking down"?
    is it running out of fuel at WOT? Float height maybe?
    My first thought was stator as well, i have seen the exact thing and a stator fixed it
    I believe that motor has a rev limiter on it (I know the 90 and 115 do (4 wires out of small black device, maybe on starboard side? purple wire that gets hot when key switch is on, black/yellows go to coils, brown wire from the trigger)
    The trigger tells the rev limiter when it is maxed out and then the black/yellows discombobulate the coils.
    If rev limiter has black and yellow wires going to the coils. Try disconnecting them and running it
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-19-2024 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Or the man with 1 leg.
    I gotta drop something off with Jason in a couple weeks.

Check the hose going in the fuel tank make sure it isn’t sucking air.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I expect KRT checked all the air/fuel shit long before he got to that stator or brain box.

This smells electrical.

Plug wires look good? They like rub on shit they shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

It’s definetly electrical. Problem is trying to figure it out at WOT. Alum boat, tiller handle engine.

Carbs gone through. All fuel line replaced.

Ohm the stator out, it checks out. Tommy Mathasis from the old Pinecrest marine actually had a manual on this engine. However I’m smart enough to know it could be heat related and only breaking down under a load so it’s nearly impossible to check.

We’ve ran through it. Two “known” Mercury techs have had it. The last guy told us, he’d have to throw parts at it and go test dig it to see what fixed it.

Enough money has been thrown at it. Time to let a professional have it. Another professional that is. I’ll report what fixed it.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by KRT; 02-19-2024 at 10:14 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I know that you know this, but has anyone pumped the primer bulb while it's "breaking down"?
    is it running out of fuel at WOT? Float height maybe?
    My first thought was stator as well, i have seen the exact thing and a stator fixed it
    I believe that motor has a rev limiter on it (I know the 90 and 115 do (4 wires out of small black device, maybe on starboard side? purple wire that gets hot when key switch is on, black/yellows go to coils, brown wire from the trigger)
    The trigger tells the rev limiter when it is maxed out and then the black/yellows discombobulate the coils.
    If rev limiter has black and yellow wires going to the coils. Try disconnecting them and running it
    Good info, I honestly can’t recall about the wiring and it having a rev limiter. I personally haven’t seen one on the older Mercurys. Back in the day I had a 1998 40 that ran like a scalded dog. We’ll ck this before sending it out.
    Last edited by KRT; 02-19-2024 at 10:17 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Good info, I honestly can’t recall about the wiring and it having a rev limiter. I personally haven’t seen one on the older Mercurys. Back in the day I had a 1998 40 that ran like a scalded dog. We’ll ck this before sending it out.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18600938900...3ABFBM2Pewy7hj
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-19-2024 at 11:12 PM.

Yeah, I am adding to this because I have an older (1999-2000) 2 stroke Merc 25 that I haven't run in ... forever that I know needs work to run. I am trying to get my old jon boat back in business, so I either need to get this thing running (if possible) or break down and repower. With that having been said and looking back through this thread, are there ANY decent Merc repair people in the Lexington area? I used to use Buddy's Marine.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Genes Marine in Lexington.

Same fella that helped you with that mercury force many moons ago. He has his own place now.
    Last edited by Whaler_Dave; 03-31-2024 at 11:37 AM.

That motor does not have a rev limiter. The 3 cyl 40 that came after that does.