Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment service

I wish I'd have known. Just picked my little tractor up from the dealer I bought it from. End of Warranty, so I had them run through everything, all new fluids and filters. I was expecting about 2/3s of what they charged.

The big stealerships, mostly forestry for me, are not supporting their equipment very well. They will sell you a new skidder, $350,000, but will take days to come and troubleshoot anything with it. In years past they would have a mechanic there within an hour or so with a truck loaded with everything needed including a hose maker and lift. Everyone says this is the new normal but i don't believe that. American ingenuity is still alive and well despite being bullied by the IRS and the government in favor of big businesses. There is definitely a need for quality work done fast and most folks are willing to pay.

Dead equipment is no good to anyone, especially the man running a business.

My hat is off to you for your ingenuity and "can do" attitude.

My friend in NC has a badass service truck rigged out with a complete shop in/on it
    Compressor, welder, specialty hydraulic hose stuff, press, etc.
    He does logging equipment/sites and makes stupid money

whats so funny about this is you people telling someone to buy a certain machine bc there is a dealer nearby for service.

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    CAT 304E mini X

We did a complete service, hydraulic fluid change, all that shit for the tracks, and a thumb install for a fraction, I mean a fraction of what Blanchard wanted. We still made money. All of this could have been done on site.

That's awesome Kevin keep up the great work. Your guys put a set of tires on one of my guys company trucks today and he was pleased with how awesome you guys are.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Thanks Charlie. Only hear the bad usually. Hearing the good is pleasant.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    The big stealerships, mostly forestry for me, are not supporting their equipment very well. They will sell you a new skidder, $350,000, but will take days to come and troubleshoot anything with it. In years past they would have a mechanic there within an hour or so with a truck loaded with everything needed including a hose maker and lift. Everyone says this is the new normal but i don't believe that. American ingenuity is still alive and well despite being bullied by the IRS and the government in favor of big businesses. There is definitely a need for quality work done fast and most folks are willing to pay.

Dead equipment is no good to anyone, especially the man running a business.

My hat is off to you for your ingenuity and "can do" attitude.
    My main logger is equipped to fix any of his own machines, tracked machines (buncher and shovel), skidders, etc etc.

He could easily make way more money being an in woods mechanic than he does logging. He’s mentioned it a couple times but has not followed through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    My main logger is equipped to fix any of his own machines, tracked machines (buncher and shovel), skidders, etc etc.

He could easily make way more money being an in woods mechanic than he does logging. He’s mentioned it a couple times but has not followed through.
    Exactly! Last log crew I dealt with had a JD Rubber tire cutter sit for almost a month waiting on the dealership to get to them! Luckily the procurement company had an extra machine or they woulda been dead in the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Exactly! Last log crew I dealt with had a JD Rubber tire cutter sit for almost a month waiting on the dealership to get to them! Luckily the procurement company had an extra machine or they woulda been dead in the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah it’s nuts. My guy has 2 rubber tire bunchers, 2 skidders, then 2 loaders. Just in case one breaks down he doesn’t have to lose any production.

The tracks are a different story but they aren’t used all the time, so he can keep them in pretty good shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson