Thread: Remington Model 7 - Gen 2 Owners

Default Remington Model 7 - Gen 2 Owners

For those of you who either have or have had a Gen 2 (20" barrel) Model 7, which scope bases and rings have you used and would use again?

Most of my scopes over the recent years have had with Burris Signature or Warne rings on them. My M7 currently has a two-piece Leupold double-dovetail base with Burris Signature rings, but since I'm about to move that Swarovski scope to another rifle and put a Razor LHT HD on in its place I thought I might change the base, and maybe the rings. Have never use a DNZ one-piece unit, and haven't evaluated the pros and cons on a one vs two piece base.

What say the 'Brain Trust'?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-13-2024 at 10:40 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Why add extra weight to a rifle that is designed to be a lightweight toting rifle? Putting a larger " heavier scope" on a Model Seven kinda defeats the reason that rifle was made. They are not benchrest target rifles.

Sevens are not chambered for any round that recoils enough to break mounts or damage your optics. (excluding the rare Short Mag chamberings)

I use Talley lightweights on all my hunting rifles up to and including a 300 RUM. Never had a problem. I gifted my best friends son a Stainless Synthetic M7 in 7-08 some 20 + years ago and it is a great hunting rifle. Talley LWs and a little Leupold 2-7X. Damn near perfect for the intended use.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I agree on keeping the M7 (a 7-08) as light as possible, but I’m not hiking and stalking deer like I used to do for hours with a 3-10x42 Swaro, about the same weight as that 2-7 Leupold (11 oz). I upgraded to the 4-12x50 Swaro (14 oz) two years ago, but recently tripped across a great deal on this 3-15x50 Razor (20oz) and decided to change things around. All in all, adding the 6 oz to get the illuminated dot and a little extra power gives my older eyes a worthwhile trade off in my primary hunting spot. I was going to change to a ‘longer range’ rifle, but since this one will do < 1 MOA I see no reason to. If I ever have reason to start stalking again I can always put the 3-10x42 back on and truck along.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Talley LW’s. They’ve never crossed my radar, but will check them out.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-13-2024 at 10:36 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'