Thread: Rental car insurance?

Default Rental car insurance?

Do y'all normally pay the extra $250 (give or take) for rental insurance when you're on a trip? If you wreck the car, you're responsible for the $500 deductible and then it's on your insurance. If you cover the car with the insurance waiver, it's all on them. Just curious to what you guys do.

I never pay it. 5–8 rentals a year.

I got the full insurance through enterprise. I had a rock hit the edge of the fender well dent and chipped some paint. When I turned the car back in they said it was fine since I had insurance. Few weeks later I get a bill for like $2000 saying since I didn’t have a police report that the insurance I bought wouldn’t cover it. So I can no longer rent from them.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I know a lot of credit card companies cover this if you use the card for the rental; I'm 99.9% sure Chase still does this.

Check your cards' benefits before forking over that kinda dough.

When a rental car is damaged, the rental company is looking to recover the following-
    Cost to repair the car.
    Depreciated value of the car.
    Loss of rental income while the car is out of service.
    Administration fees to handle the claim. ($250-$400)

The optional waiver offered by the rental company covers all of the above.

If you choose not to purchase the waiver, the Collision or Comprehensive coverage from your auto policy will transfer to the rental car for any, actual physical damage to the car subject to your deductible.
    The other three items, deprecated value, loss of rental income and admin fees typically are not covered by your auto policy and you could be responsible for these costs. Please note the highlighted text, I have seen some occasion where the auto insurance policy might coverage some or all of the items but I wouldn't bet on it.

Personally, if I'm only renting for 3-5 days I will purchase the waiver from the rental company. If I was renting for an extended period of times (25-30 days) I would have to consider not purchasing the waiver.

YMV

This topic always reminds me of this classic. Always buy the waiver!

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post

If you choose not to purchase the waiver, the Collision or Comprehensive coverage from your auto policy will transfer to the rental car for any, actual physical damage to the car subject to your deductible.
    The other three items, deprecated value, loss of rental income and admin fees typically are not covered by your auto policy and you could be responsible for these costs. Please note the highlighted text, I have seen some occasion where the auto insurance policy might coverage some or all of the items but I wouldn't bet on it.

YMV
    THIS

I worked for Enterprise first out of college…

If you have coverage through a major insurance company you should be fine. If you have liability only or “The General” I would (short term).
    You wreck that rental and they are going to want your deductible before you switch cars ( granted you still need it).

Never bought the rental car insurance until I went to North Dakota 2 Januarys ago and bow hunted in a legitimate blizzard. Couple feet of snow and lows in the -34s. Needless to say I got it for once and ended up damn near totaling the 1500 Ram we rented due to black ice. Enterprise sent out a wrecker, loaded it up and that was all that ever came of it. That $250 was well spent. I probably wouldn't get it if in was just using it for regular use but those conditions warranted some concern for me.

I usually use Hertz and they won't rent you a vehicle unless you have full coverage. I started using them because they don't charge a deposit.

Scatter shot pretty much nailed it
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

insurance people will look at this differently than your average consumer

State Farm (and Gut Pile) are there for you.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

but hell no i'm not paying for it. (against the advice of my insurance agent)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    This topic always reminds me of this classic. Always buy the waiver!

O
    M
    G
    Hilarious
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I hit a dog

LOL
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

No.

I worked for Enterprise right out of college…. The insurance they offered was awesome… if you damaged the vehicle, if not it was pretty pricey. In a high risk situation it is probably worth the peace of mind.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!