Thread: Topsoil Removal

Default Topsoil Removal

Continuing on the driveway build plan. I have access to a tracked skid steer and the possibility of renting a larger sized mini excavator, but which will be more efficient at removing topsoil? Its about 500' and the topsoil ranges from 6" to 18" deep that I will need to get out. I know a dozer is the best answer, but don't have one of those I can get access too currently. 12' wide by 500ish ft long road bed.

I'm betting the skid steer will do most, but more concerned about the first 100' that has the deepest topsoil and is pretty wet. I don't want to bury the thing and have a mess on my hands.

I have plans to dry the clay out in the wet section with lime, and have the road base figured out, just working on the dirt removal.

I would remove and pile it with the trackhoe and load it pr move it with the skid steer
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

The skid steer will be the fastest way to strip the topsoil. Windrow it on both sides of the drive so you can respread it along the edge. Use the mini to dig out deep pockets of organics.