Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best saltwater Sonar for inshore

Quote Originally Posted by sc_slim View Post
    Guess this means you will no longer be attempting to stump Lake Marion?

Hmm, guess those efforts will now be pushed towards dredging Winyah Bay.
    Nope now that he is gone, I'm gonna start stocking the lake with more carp, higher the good year blimp to drop Sonar all over anything that looks like grass, and knock a hole in the damn, and then call in a login crew or those underwater diver people that used to be on the history channel!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I've booked SouthernWake several times. He knows I used to fish a ton, and at one point I might get back into it. Even took my wife and wasnt sure if he'd let me come back since he thought she'd have me getting back into it sooner than later she had so much fun. I have also decided, since not I dont live on the coast, it is well worth the money to go with him and have fun catching fish, and let him do all the hard work. I dont think he has withheld any top secret spots knowing that I might get back into it, but I also think he knows I wouldn't fish where he has taken me.
    Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to fishing again here soon and giving the long rod a go!

Not a believer in holding anything back. The best thing in my mind would be you getting back out there and finding/catching fish on your own based on something I have shown you.

Buying on the south side of harbor one mile east of Sampit River mouth. Poor depth at low tide. Buying a triton so it can float at low. Will trailer both boats to landing.

I will miss Santee. Eagle Point is special. My dock is 21 ft deep.

Stumps, well I decided to widen the highway channel by 50 ft. Thank me later.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Asbury?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Im getting a Gtown house this week. Selling the bakehouse on Eagle Point, Lake Marion.

I have done some inshore fishing in Gtown but not great at it. Want to be able to catch bait when they are down. Find shrimp. Locate the bull drum. Fish the jettys....

Putting an electric motor on a tritoon. Family fun, grand babies, fishing and tooling around on a booze cruise. Go offshore on another boat.
    Ah yes, I figured the point of this thread was to flaunt somehow or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Probably don’t need to go fishing with me then. I don’t want to fight fair, I want to catch fish. Park the boat over those ledges and load the box. Going to see about Golden Tiles this year hopefully.

Attachment 88733
    Is this Cmor? I see they have some more nearshore (<50 miles) mapping than last time I looked but not enough to justify the cost for me. I'd imagine a comprehensive mapping of 20-30 miles off our coast would ruin or at least increase pressure on a bunch of "secret" bottom fishing spots though.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post

Is this Cmor? I see they have some more nearshore (<50 miles) mapping than last time I looked but not enough to justify the cost for me. I'd imagine a comprehensive mapping of 20-30 miles off our coast would ruin or at least increase pressure on a bunch of "secret" bottom fishing spots though.
    I asked him where in Georgetown he was buying, and then he answered. But carry on with your generally pissy attitude.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Post some of your Freeman pics so I can feel poor and talk trash about you, too

Some of y'all come on here for the sole purpose of hating. Or so it seems.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

You're right, Bart. Some do.

I may also be looking for a sounder, but not for inshore. AND - very important point here - I will not come in here and ask this gag of know-nothings about which unit is good, best, whatever. Fuck em. They don't know shit.

Here are sides scan and down scan images of a Simrad Go9 with a totalscan (old tech) transducer.

37E2AB61-8020-46A9-88B5-AD74EAAE3611.jpg

9B76D239-9F01-4EBC-9829-1D75266EDD9E.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    The one you’re use to using.
    For 99% of the people out there (including me), this is the correct answer.

Trails, downscan,sonar, and sidescan is what you need with a good map card.

I also want a unit that I can make my own map. That's why I like Lowrance HDS models. With a Cmap ,internally installed or an SD card,...I can use color shaping which helps with the tides. I also can make my own detailed map. Here is some mapping I did on an unmapped lake.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 02-06-2024 at 12:10 PM.

i'll be casting while yall are playing with your phones
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We have had Garmin and Simrad. Loved them both.

The side scan was helpful finding coral in the keys. Jump out and spear without setting an anchor. You may get ten drops off one tank.

Thanks for the input. We are getting a cheap used pontoon that can sit in the mud at low tide. Needs an electric motor and a new sonar. Will be good for the upcoming toddlers in my near future.

Just wanted to know if I needed to invest in a "livescan" or not. I don't feel comfortable stealing from a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Actually I was planning on posting a mess of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    We have had Garmin and Simrad. Loved them both.

The side scan was helpful finding coral in the keys. Jump out and spear without setting an anchor. You may get ten drops off one tank.

Thanks for the input. We are getting a cheap used pontoon that can sit in the mud at low tide. Needs an electric motor and a new sonar. Will be good for the upcoming toddlers in my near future.

Just wanted to know if I needed to invest in a "livescan" or not. I don't feel comfortable stealing from a guide.
    Don’t get livescope for inshore salt.

SW, I have a 3n1. I also have a generic through the hull. I keep sonar on the generic one for running. The side scan and downscan are through the 3n1.

Those pictures were taken in real clean lakes. I would guess your water isn't as clear. That will make a difference.

You might try the pennies and leveler trick to get your transducer level at 4-6 mph. That will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Trails, downscan,sonar, and sidescan is what you need with a good map card.

I also want a unit that I can make my own map. That's why I like Lowrance HDS models. With a Cmap ,internally installed or an SD card,...I can use color shaping which helps with the tides. I also can make my own detailed map. Here is some mapping I did on an unmapped lake.

My Garmin will allow you to make your own charts and share them with the community. Very nice feature that works via Bluetooth and Wifi when you update. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I had a Sitex paper machine that was the tits and caught a ton of bottom fish with it back before most of you were born. I still got it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"