Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi Bird Shot Scenario

Default Multi Bird Shot Scenario

Curious on how y’all approach a shot scenario like this, as this happens quite often and I’m always looking for ways to improve.

Mainly this applies to teal for me as big ducks generally don’t present themselves this way.

Scenario:

So a nice group of teal coming in low and hot, 10 to 12 of them or so, in a pretty tight ball, let’s say.

Now hunting with another or a group I just shoot ‘my lane’ then look for a clean-up shot.

Now when hunting solo (I almost hate to admit this) I tend let the group come way in, I take 1 ‘flock shot’ to bust them up, then try to pick one off the edge or finish off a fluttering bird.

How do YOU approach this scenario, shoot the lead bird early and work your way back? Only look for a drake? Close your eyes a 3 bang?

Trying to improve on my multi bird shot opportunities.

Let them land. Line up a couple then take a few more when they get up.

I usually get really excited and whiff all three or get calmed down enough by the third shot to pick one off as they are hauling ass away from me. Now letting them land first….

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I love water swatting.

Love that look on a ducks face when he land in the middle of a decoy spread and realizes he has screwed up big time. Some try to blend in with the decoys, some try to sneak on out the back, and some get the hell out of dodge.

I shoot on my side or if by myself take my best shot first then worry about killing another after killing the sure thing. should always make the first shot count.
    Last edited by centurian; 02-01-2024 at 04:42 PM.

This is the correct method.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My man! Absolutely!

Line up them heads and let her rip! If a duck(s) lands in your decoys, you've done your job, swat 'em!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

This is the way...

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    This is the correct method.
    What if they ain't landing? That's why I said coming in HOT lol.

I like the first shot counting idea, but trying to focus more on a rally then shooting one down.

Quote Originally Posted by mud ugh View Post
    I usually get really excited and whiff all three or get calmed down enough by the third shot to pick one off as they are hauling ass away from me. Now letting them land first….
    Honest man here. And how I usually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mud ugh View Post
    Yup lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I killed three teal last week with my over and under. I only shot three times, and I missed once...
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Teal tend to flush straight up. If I’m in a group of people, I let someone shoot into the wad and I shoot them going vertical. It’s not difficult shooting.

The scenario that I struggled with when I was young and have seen lots struggle with, is timber mallards. Newbies try to kill them all in one shot and end up killing none. I fine one, kill him, and move on down the line. For really easy shots, that scenario gives a lot of folks a lot of trouble.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Let em land then shoot the flushers or just water swat them if im not feeling it that day.But i tend to avoid shooting into teal flocks cause you end up with over the limit real quick if youre shooting an open choke.

I'm not sure I've ever water swatted a bird that landed in the dekes. (maybe my first couple years when I really hated the skunk) Only really swat at a cripple. Most of the time I'll just jump up, flush them up and shoot them a few feet off the water.

Also, I'm not 'flock shotting' with only 1 bird left in my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Short_track_champ View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever water swatted a bird that landed in the dekes. (maybe my first couple years when I really hated the skunk) Only really swat at a cripple. Most of the time I'll just jump up, flush them up and shoot them a few feet off the water.

Also, I'm not 'flock shotting' with only 1 bird left in my limit.
    Yep it’s no fun to me shooting one on the water, jump them up and give them a fair chance. I just shoot them before they land that’s the way to do it

I start from the back of the pack and work forward. This keeps the gun swinging in the right direction for multiples on a flock flyby.

If they're landing I pick the furthest bird out and then work to the closer birds. The cherry bird in the front of the pack will still be the closest after the rounds start going off.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 02-02-2024 at 06:48 AM.

Let em pass, circle and land!!! I don't know the odds but teal, bluebills and ringnecks (not in a corn pond from my experience) nearly always buzz, circle, and dive bomb near the exact point they first hit the edge of the decoy spread on their first pass. Sure there have been times where it didn't work and I cuss myself but I'd be willing to wager more ducks have died using this method than trying to shoot them on the first pass. Having reached the ripe old age of 40 I'm still surprised with what a group of ducks will do but I feel you can tell if they are going to buzz you and come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Short_track_champ View Post
    What if they ain't landing? That's why I said coming in HOT lol.
    Teal don't do anything "hot". They're slow. Maybe figuring out the obvious shit might help you kill a few more ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Teal don't do anything "hot". They're slow. Maybe figuring out the obvious shit might help you kill a few more ducks.
    Being buzzed by a low group at around 60mph is not what I normally consider slow. Coming in just off the vegetation, below tree lines etc limiting your viz until they are on top of you gives you a few seconds to figure out what you are going to do.

I am also not a big fan of shooting a bird on the water, not a whole lot of sport in that. But damnit I can go through some shells trying to kill a cripple on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk