Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor recommendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Suppressor recommendations?

I realize that many have their own favorite suppressor makes and models, so I'm looking for specific pros and cons for two of them...

1. Probably a single .30 cal that could be utilized for rifles - .223, .243 and/or 7-08 - and a 9mm handgun. Inasmuch as it wouldn't be fired all that often, a single suppressor that can do it all would be preferred (assuming Congress never gets off their asses to negate the NFA requirement and sell suppressors off the shelf like in European countries).

2. The best value - sound suppression, cleaning and cost - for a .22 handgun (Buckmark, Ruger MKIII/IV, etc).

Note - Direct thread is fine since I don't plan on swapping back and forth at any given moment, and I've owned Buckmarks for years, but a Ruger isn't out of the picture now that the newer models are easier(?) to take apart to clean.

Yes, Rugged is one company I've had on a list to look at, and the Oculus is on that list.

I haven't done much research yet, but I do recall some less than positive remarks on the Sandman K, but I don't recall what the issue is.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-26-2024 at 03:46 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Not a low budget option but it’s hard to beat a 22/45. Mad macc’s low profile base and vortex venom, volquartsen accurizing trigger kit.

I went with a rugged oculus .22 can and a rugged razor 30cal a few years back during a Black Friday, which offered $100 in store credit for each can which paid for extra muzzle devices. Rugged is located in Travelers Rest SC.

One thing to note, the rugged qd system will not allow you to recess the can inside an AR handguard, you have to reach the locking collar to screw on or remove.

There may be others chiming in that are more educated (saltedbutter, steelin ducks, etc) but…
    I purchased a dead air nomad 30 for your same reasoning and have no complaints. You can use it on a variety of rifle calibers and they have a quick connect muzzle break system that allows you to quickly swap from one rifle to the next. I believe they make a nomad L 30 that is longer and undoubtedly quieter with more baffles but you are adding length and weight. Take a look at deadair website and there is all you need to know about them. They have a sandman and maybe one or two others that are appropriate for multiple calibers with some of the differences being what they are made out of and if they are rated for full auto or not.

Currently waiting on a deadair mask for .22 use and will report back likely in 6-10 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_5367.jpg

I also have a Mark IV with the Rugged Oculus
    By far the most fun gun I own to plink with.

Like said above Rugged is a local company out of TR
    The oculus is easy to disassemble and is all stainless steel so cleaning is easy with some wire brushes.

Call steelin ducks and get whatever he has on sale

I use an omega and warlock
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I've been very pleased with the SilencerCO Harvester 30cal., but It wouldnt work with 9mm...

I went with direct threads instead of any of the quick detach stuff. I can screw it on and off of a few different rifles with no loss of Zero.

I have an Innovative Arms Slingshot 22 suppressor currently in ATF jail.

Call Allen Arms Tactical or Steelin. Allen Arms carries a bunch of different manufactures to include Rugged. I've heard plenty of good about Rugged's suppressors and they are local. Win win if you support Steelin or Allen Arms and buy Rugged.

I have been happy with an Omega 300 for AR platform rifles and 308 bolt gun. I went with the Radical firearms RF22 can because that is what Steelin recommended at the time. Like mentioned above it is very fun to shoot with the Ruger Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate lab84 View Post
    I have been happy with an Omega 300 for AR platform rifles and 308 bolt gun. I went with the Radical firearms RF22 can because that is what Steelin recommended at the time. Like mentioned above it is very fun to shoot with the Ruger Mark.
    I've got the same .22 can, it's great for .22lr, short, cb etc but is not rated for .22mag, so thats a consisderation.

Look for easy to clean baffles with any rimfire suppressor, you'll be doing it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I've got the same .22 can, it's great for .22lr, short, cb etc but is not rated for .22mag, so thats a consisderation.

Look for easy to clean baffles with any rimfire suppressor, you'll be doing it alot.
    I have never cleaned my can and shot thousands of 22LR and .223 through it. I was told by the manufacturer that you could shoot a .223 after shooting a bunch of rimfire and it would clean itself.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    I have never cleaned my can and shot thousands of 22LR and .223 through it. I was told by the manufacturer that you could shoot a .223 after shooting a bunch of rimfire and it would clean itself.
    That makes sense but youre not shooting .223 through a rimfire suppressor.

Correct - the can I was referring to is 5.56FA rated, so you can shoot it on anything else that is smaller. Thanks for the correction.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Ruger Mark IV and SilencerCo sparrow will make you giggle. SilencerShop has Sparrow for sub $300 right now. DA Mask and Occulus as mentioned above are both solid .22 cans. Sandman K is the only can I regret buying, on 5.56 it’s pretty damn spicy on the ears. Sandman S is a tank. Dead air Wolfman is a 9mm can that’s 30 cal and 5.56 rated as long as you’re using a brake with it. I use on a pcc mostly and it’s fun. Extremely sneaky good on 5.56. Sounds great on an 11.5 barrel. It’s probably my favorite. Kind of unwieldy though if you put it on a handgun in full length configuration

We all know youre not gonna fork over the money for a silencer.

I went with the Yankee Hill Machine Resonater and I love it. Check out this article....you have to scroll and click to see the results.

I like my Sparrow for .22s. I have an Omega and Dead Air for .30 cal. No complaints.
    Carolina Counsel

Rugged razor 7.62
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Love my Hybrid 46 for all things it does. Wait till Black Friday and order the swappable components to save if you want a one and done. On my .308 it’s very tolerable and runs well. If you put it on an ar10 platform, go to a heavier buffer to decrease the cycling issues. I may be ordering a B & T for a very specific setup but they make good stuff too.
    Last edited by Heybo_Hater; 01-26-2024 at 09:13 PM.

I run an Innovative Arms 22 suppressor. It's seen tens of thousands of rounds & keeps going fine. It is thier 1st model, so it's 1-piece. Their current one is AWESOME & I'd love to get one, but with the Sparrow price being what it is, I'll probably have Steelin' get me one of those.

For handgun fun, I'd highly suggest a nice Volquartsen build. At one time, I had about ten threaded 22's. I've since downsized, merely because the Volquartsen is so much more fun to shoot; I just didn't enjoy the others as much.

Another suggestion for a 22 host is a Ruger Charger host build. I've attached a pic for ideas. As it's basically a 10/22, your options are unlimited. The 3x Primary Arms SLx prism with illuminated ACSS Raptor reticle will easy allow for a 1-shot squirrel drop at 65m.

I picked up a SiCo Omega 36 last week (150 day Trust wait). I purchased during a BOGO promotion that included a free Omega 300. The free can rebate is still processing and there are still thousands ahead of me.

These two can will mainly be mounted on a 6.5PRC & a 7mag.

I'm hoping to try out the Hybrid tomorrow with some different factory 300BO loads in a 10.5 AR and a 16" American Ranch. I'll report back on how quietly they run.

Sent via Galaxy s23 Ultra using Tapatalk
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 01-27-2024 at 04:52 PM.

If you’re into doing fun things, get one of them sparrow suppressors and that M&P in .22 cal and a bunch of 30 round mags. The kids we bring to the farm love it. I have a red dot on it and it’s my carry around gun when filling feeders or checking traps. I’ve killed a pile of hogs with it
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands