Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Murray Boat Accident

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Dangerous situation. I've been guilty of putting it on plane and driving via gps...to put one on plane you have to run 25-30mph

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    For everyone that reads this please don’t ever be this fucking dumb. It’s not worth it and those kids are screwed as a result. Would you drive your car on,y looking at Waze if you couldn’t see down the road? This is a pet peeve of mine that I consistently see bass and striper guys doing over the years. Prayer for those involved.
    Agreed, that's just asking for trouble, i wouldn't admit to that

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Dangerous situation. I've been guilty of putting it on plane and driving via gps...to put one on plane you have to run 25-30mph

Agreed, that's just asking for trouble, i wouldn't admit to that
    Ok. Good point. I’ve never done anything dumb or dangerous. lol. Better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Ok. Good point. I’ve never done anything dumb or dangerous. lol. Better?
    J Williams I don’t mean to call you out personally. Just using your admission as an example. I’ve too done plenty of dumb shit too. But it seems many people do more dumb shit on average in the water than other areas. I nearly got hit by an old man in a v bottom John boat one day in the middle of the lake on a bright clear sunny day. I realized as he approached his front seat up in his bow deck was open and he was sitting sort of down in the boat not looking around and it was I guess blocking me from his view. I finally went to front of my boat up on top of bow yelled and waved. He looked as surprised as anything when he noticed me at about 50 yards. Waved said he was sorry. Shit happens. Y’all be careful out there and offer the ones wearing flat bills and trying to be grown up help when you can. They’re watching and learning from us whether we know it or not.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

J Williams I don’t mean to call you out personally. Just using your admission as an example. I’ve too done plenty of dumb shit too. But it seems many people do more dumb shit on average in the water than other areas. I nearly got hit by an old man in a v bottom John boat one day in the middle of the lake on a bright clear sunny day. I realized as he approached his front seat up in his bow deck was open and he was sitting sort of down in the boat not looking around and it was I guess blocking me from his view. I finally went to front of my boat up on top of bow yelled and waved. He looked as surprised as anything when he noticed me at about 50 yards. Waved said he was sorry. Shit happens. Y’all be careful out there and offer the ones wearing flat bills and trying to be grown up help when you can. They’re watching and learning from us whether we know it or not.
    Not offended and feel free to call me out. Won’t affect me even a little bit. That would just be the tip of the ice berg. Gone duck hunting when it was so foggy my buddy ran up on the trestle. Gone duck huntin and watched lightning blow up a tree. My list of bad decisions is not short.

Getting innerweb approval or bonus points doesn’t interest me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

They’re watching and learning from us whether we know it or not.
    Man how I wish that was true.

Young or old I've done and had some really stupid dangerous stuff done to me in the outdoors. Thankful to God to still be alive.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Too fast for conditions. So sad, over a dang fish. See it too often. Other boats don’t show up on a chartplotter. Prayers for those boys.

I was crossing Winyah last year at dark with the fog so thick you couldn't see 10 yards and almost got ran over. I heard a motor at the last second and a boat passed so close I could see the stickers on the side in the reflection of my anchor light. He had that 90 yamaha wide open with no running lights and using the gps for navigation.

Winyah Bay. Nothing like seeing 250k center console high and dry up on the bank. Two nice propeller tracks thru the mud and reeds. My can of Off was worth a million dollars that morning as the no see um was tearing their asses up. Even radar didn't help stupid.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I fished a bunch of tourneys in TN when I lived up there. Fished the back of coves where we put in several times for hours waiting on fog to lift while others ran like idiots to their spots. Fog scared the crap out of me. Praying for those involved.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Me and Otter about got smoked by a boat from behind on Greenwood in December while we were idling. That joker was within 2 feet of us I guarantee. Not sure how fast he was running but he was on plane and you couldn’t see 10 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This was the closest I’ve ever come to thinking we were going to be run over, guy let off a little soaked me from the spray and then took off again disappearing into the fog. I’m sure the boat only missed us by inches, I jumped over in Bobby’s side thinking we were done. I just can’t understand running in fog when you can’t see 50 yards.
    Last edited by Otter 1200; 01-29-2024 at 11:40 PM.

When I was about 9, daddy and I were idling 10 ft off the bank trying to get into Buffalo Creek to curb stomp crappies in the THICK fog one morning. At idle speed, suddenly there was a 21' ProCraft maybe 20' in front of us idling towards us driven by a man who's eyes were as big as a washtub. He'd just been hit by another boat hauling ass as he was idling across open water......looked like you went down the side of that pretty ProCraft working it over with an ax. He was shaking like a dog shittin 'simmon seeds. He said the boat that hit him never slowed down after impact. Thats stuck with me ever since.
    I can't understand the logic of putting a boat on plane when you can barely see the length of the boat.

Duck hunting on the lake one Saturday and set up on a long flat point between the river and a small creek. We knew there was a tournament that morning and set up where we did for two reasons, to keep the fishermen from fishing in our decoys and knew many boats would be going up river and would put a lot of duck in the air that morning. It was so foggy we could not even see all the decoys. I hear the boats coming about 7:30 wide ass open up the river in the fog. I tell my buddy lets go and he said where. I said to put some trees between us and these guys cause they cant see us for sure. They passed without incident and i never saw them. Fools.

Unfortunately, one of the young men passed away today. Just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Unfortunately, one of the young men passed away today. Just awful.

Just awful. Has bassmaster said much about this situation? I saw an article on their website but it hasn’t been updated since the 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Just awful. Has bassmaster said much about this situation? I saw an article on their website but it hasn’t been updated since the 26th.
    That was the only thing I have seen as well. I’m sure there is an investigation going one so probably limited as to what they can say.

Sad news indeed. Reminder for us all fun can turn to horror in seconds. They probably would have held the tournament start time due to dense fog but with a practice day they may have started on their own and not with an organize start. I am sure they will be reviewing their safety protocol.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/...c-66fa3cbc277c

PROSPERITY, S.C. — A 21-year-year-old college student has died after a boating accident on Lake Murray last week.

Jonathan Brian of Shelbyville, Kentucky, died this morning at Prisma Health Richland, according to Newberry County Coroner Laura Kneece.

According to the Western Kentucky University newspaper, The College Heights Herald, Brian was a junior and a member of the Western Kentucky University Bass Fishing team.

Brian was one of the occupants of a boat that collided with another in the Prosperity area of Newberry County around 1 p.m. on 1:04 P.M. on Thursday, January 25, 2024.

The crash came during a practice round of the Lake Murray College Series, a Bassmaster fishing tournament.

His teammate and the others injured in the other boat were released from the hospital.

Terrible news. I could not imagine. Prayers for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Sad news indeed. Reminder for us all fun can turn to horror in seconds. They probably would have held the tournament start time due to dense fog but with a practice day they may have started on their own and not with an organize start. I am sure they will be reviewing their safety protocol.
    Yup, especially while boating. Been preaching this for years, boating is fun but can go from good to bad in a second.

Lake Murry aint to place to FOFA.

Horrible news. Every parents worst nightmare
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill