Thread: Chestnuts

Default Chestnuts

If you've been keeping up, you know that the effort to create a GM blight resistant American Chestnut has largely collapsed amid accusations of data fraud. The major funders of the project have pulled out. Also, I was surprised to read that when the blight arrived, there had already been a massive die-off of southeastern trees due to ink disease, so, even if they were to succeed in their efforts, chestnuts aren't coming back to SC unless they figure out ink disease as well.

I haven't kept up, but am unsurprised. We got all excited to do a large reforestation in the early 2000's, but the American Chestnut Foundation people were never really interested in making anything happen past newspaper articles as far as we could see...

That's a shame.

How long does it take for this ink disease to hit? I know a guy who has invested some time and money into establishing a stand of trees. Trees have been producing chestnuts for a few years now.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    How long does it take for this ink disease to hit? I know a guy who has invested some time and money into establishing a stand of trees. Trees have been producing chestnuts for a few years now.
    A banker in Florence, by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    A banker in Florence, by chance?
    No, not this one.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I planted 15 of them around 7 years ago. I have 2 left. I think Chestnut borer killed mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do these issues affect the chinese chestnut also?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Do these issues affect the chinese chestnut also?
    No.
    Carolina Counsel

The Chinese chestnut is the problem.

Ain't Chinese everything a problem? Including what I got at the moment and it ain't no fun
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

The Clemson Research Farm had a healthy stand 7-8 years ago, not sure how they have faired since then.

I planted the Dunstan Chestnuts. I believe they are a hybrid cross between American and Chinese chestnut?

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Ain't Chinese everything a problem? Including what I got at the moment and it ain't no fun
    That's a different CH, Chapel Hill North Carolina.