Thread: Wood duck boxes

Default Wood duck boxes

Getting with an Organization when duck season goes out to take some kids out to clean out wood duck boxes. They are located in Anderson SC and was wondering are there any areas that have multiple duck boxes so we can spend a few hours teaching the kids how to take care of them and give back to the wildlife that they take. You don’t have to tell areas on here if you feel it will ruin your spots you can pm me.

Thanks
    Coot
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Get the one up Bush River and the one back in my cove please. I got a half of bag of Cedar shavings for you. Thanks
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Get the one up Bush River and the one back in my cove please. I got a half of bag of Cedar shavings for you. Thanks
    I will man that’s the area I usually do but don’t go that far down. Will definitely get them this year!

Cleaned mine out a couple weeks ago and 2/3 of them already had eggs

I cleaned mine out in December because of what some of y’all had said about the birds laying in January.

Yeah I run into some boxes with new eggs and some with old. We won’t disturb the fresh ones but get rid of the rotten egg ones.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Yeah I run into some boxes with new eggs and some with old. We won’t disturb the fresh ones but get rid of the rotten egg ones.
    Maybe a dumb question on my part but how do you tell the difference?

Break each of em open and sniff em, if they're rotten, throw em out, if they're not, put them back

On this…. I havent had time yet to check mine. I am sure a clean box helps in the long run but also have to figure none of their natural nesting trees/holes are getting cleaned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    On this…. I havent had time yet to check mine. I am sure a clean box helps in the long run but also have to figure none of their natural nesting trees/holes are getting cleaned out.

You're right but I get 2 to 3 clutches out of my boxes when I clean them out after jump day. I know for certain my boxes don't get used until I clean them out. Now, Blackbellied Whistling Ducks, that's a different deal. They'll carry out old eggs in their bills and clean out the box. They don't use nesting material either, lay eggs on bare wood bottom of the box. The parents will fan the eggs with their wings if temps get over a certain degree. Smart, prolific breeders.

I don't know how many old natural tree cavities get reused each Spring or annually. Does anyone have any info on that?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

I agree with cajunwannabe, mine don't get used if they aren't cleaned out. I've always wondered the same thing about the natural cavities but I don't have an answer. I have had screech owls nest in a "dirty" box, but not a wood duck.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    You're right but I get 2 to 3 clutches out of my boxes when I clean them out after jump day. I know for certain my boxes don't get used until I clean them out. Now, Blackbellied Whistling Ducks, that's a different deal. They'll carry out old eggs in their bills and clean out the box. They don't use nesting material either, lay eggs on bare wood bottom of the box. The parents will fan the eggs with their wings if temps get over a certain degree. Smart, prolific breeders.

I don't know how many old natural tree cavities get reused each Spring or annually. Does anyone have any info on that?
    Appreciate the input

Sent you a text Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Trying to get this going on the 24th of February if anyone would like to join. We will more than likely run the upper Saluda areas of Murray. Probably will be a lunch time meet around 12 let me know if anyone is interested and would like to join. May need a few extra boats to help haul some kids.

Thanks

Ryan
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-13-2024 at 09:59 PM.