Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Student loans

B35W, you are painting with a broad brush. For sure a lot of degrees are "worthless", but that degree shows a potential employer that you showed up and did what was needed for at least 4 years. Kinda lets him know you at least have drive and potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    B35W, you are painting with a broad brush. For sure a lot of degrees are "worthless", but that degree shows a potential employer that you showed up and did what was needed for at least 4 years. Kinda lets him know you at least have drive and potential.
    well said

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    You need a much smaller paint brush, my friend.
    Unless you are going into a specialty (doctor, lawyer, nurse, accountant etc) it is a complete waste of time and money. Starting an apprenticeship or internship with on the job training far exceeds anything you would ever learn in a classroom.

I’ve done medical sales and now own my own business. I literally can’t think of one thing I learned in college that I wouldn’t have learned on “on the job” training.

You don’t need college to learn responsibility and independence. Again, the same thing can be accomplished starting your career while making money and not going into mounds of debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does a 18 year old who shows up to work with a high school degree and the willingness to learn.

I’ve hired them all. Find me a single mother, no college degree and has been busing tables for 5 years and I will show you someone who will thrive.

If some of the so called parents (maybe even some of you) would educate their children prior to their child choosing a major, then maybe they would be able to afford some of these loans. A Bachelor of Arts in art history ain’t gonna cover that loan they may have to take out to get it at the noble private college that sounds nice for you parents to brag about your child attending at Christmas parties and oyster roasts.

At the same time, some of the bitching by all parties could be handled by a properly funded 529 or savings plan. My 3 year old daughter has a 529 and a wedding fund that is currently growing. My unborn son has a 529 ready to be funded with a separate marriage savings account.

I have student loans that are currently being repaid. My parents were able to tell stories at Christmas parties and oyster roasts about my collegiate experience. My experience was not properly funded. But my selected major was discussed, monetary compensation expectations were discussed, and my plans as an adult were discussed. Stop blaming the kids taking on these loans and start looking at the root cause of the problem.

College degrees are not for everyone, but to say they are a waste of time is asinine.

I remember seeing an article the other day that talked about a large number of companies getting away from requiring a 4yr degree for certain positions and job titles.

I like education but didn’t like it enough to go into debt for it. I got my first associate’s degree paid for by the state right out of high school with a scholarship and then let an employer pay for my next two associate’s degrees.

I still think about getting a 4yr degree but at this point I’m not sure it’s worth it for me. If I eventually decide to pursue it I’ll figure out a way to do it without going into debt for it.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 01-19-2024 at 10:25 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot14 View Post
    If some of the so called parents (maybe even some of you) would educate their children prior to their child choosing a major, then maybe they would be able to afford some of these loans. A Bachelor of Arts in art history ain’t gonna cover that loan they may have to take out to get it at the noble private college that sounds nice for you parents to brag about your child attending at Christmas parties and oyster roasts.

At the same time, some of the bitching by all parties could be handled by a properly funded 529 or savings plan. My 3 year old daughter has a 529 and a wedding fund that is currently growing. My unborn son has a 529 ready to be funded with a separate marriage savings account.

I have student loans that are currently being repaid. My parents were able to tell stories at Christmas parties and oyster roasts about my collegiate experience. My experience was not properly funded. But my selected major was discussed, monetary compensation expectations were discussed, and my plans as an adult were discussed. Stop blaming the kids taking on these loans and start looking at the root cause of the problem.

College degrees are not for everyone, but to say they are a waste of time is asinine.
    I didn’t say they are all a waste of time. I said the ones that don’t involve a specialty. Even is you can find some “value” the cost far outweighs it.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    So does a 18 year old who shows up to work with a high school degree and the willingness to learn.

I’ve hired them all. Find me a single mother, no college degree and has been busing tables for 5 years and I will show you someone who will thrive.

I ain't saying you're wrong. I'm just saying a college degree isn't as worthless as you make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I remember seeing an article the other day that talked about a large number of companies getting away from requiring a 4yr degree for certain positions and job titles.

I like education but didn’t like it enough to go into debt for it. I got my first associate’s degree paid for by the state right out of high school with a scholarship and then let an employer pay for my next two associate’s degrees.

I still thinking about getting a 4yr degree but at this point I’m not sure it’s worth it for me. If I eventually decide to pursue it I’ll figure out a way to do it without going into debt for it.
    I am all for it if an employer wants to pay for it and it’s going to advance your career

And as an fyi, I've told both of my girls they don't have to college to have a good life. It's just an option and they need to weigh the cost.

And as an fyi, I've told both of my girls they don't have to college to have a good life. It's just an option and they need to weigh the cost.
    I’ve told mine he better figure out how to get scholarships whether that be academic or fishing if he wants to go lol.

College is a complete waste of time and money with very few exceptions.

One thing college taught me, or maybe it was graduate school…pay attention to details. You sir, did in fact, state that college is a complete waste of time.

Again, I understand your point. To go to college just to say “I have a degree from XYZ university” or to have a child go to say “my kid is going to x” is pointless and a waste. But if there is a plan, purpose, and reasonable outcome from the educational experience, then it is not a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot14 View Post
    One thing college taught me, or maybe it was graduate school…pay attention to details. You sir, did in fact, state that college is a complete waste of time.

Again, I understand your point. To go to college just to say “I have a degree from XYZ university” or to have a child go to say “my kid is going to x” is pointless and a waste. But if there is a plan, purpose, and reasonable outcome from the educational experience, then it is not a waste of time.
    No, I said college was a complete waste of time and money with few expectations. There is a difference.

You think you’d pay more attention to detail staring at an instruction manual in a classroom or hands on with someone who lives it every day?

I know it sounds like I am anti-education. I am not…..I am pro-learning within spending 100k with money you do not have on something you could have learned while being paid. This is all under the assumption that the employee accepts that premise. It’s easy for them to require someone to have a degree. They don’t have to pay for it.

College is a complete waste of time and money with very few exceptions.

I believe this to be gross hyperbole. College isn’t necessary for some, and absolutely not necessary for success, but to suggest it is a waste of time and money for the majority is a fantastic overstatement. Beyond the financial returns, a good classical education has great value- financially and beyond.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I believe this to be gross hyperbole. College isn’t necessary for some, and absolutely not necessary for success, but to suggest it is a waste of time and money for the majority is a fantastic overstatement. Beyond the financial returns, a good classical education has great value- financially and beyond.
    What’s the financial value? How do you quantify? The only value is if the pay structure is contingent upon you having a degree and even then, I don’t deem that as value but rather a prerequisite which is the problem I have for a non-specialty. I don’t believe it’s needed for the overwhelming majority of positions available.

4 years working on the job learning your craft is far more valuable than 4 years of a classroom.

If I was graduating high school, I’d go straight to a trade more specifically welding. Heck, they have that as an option in high school now.

Sometimes I wonder how life would have been different if I’d went to college instead of Hancock BMW to turn wrenches.

Those with children, did you not plan for college or was it “I’ll deal with it when the time comes”

Just curious
    More fuel = more boost!!

If I was graduating high school, I’d go straight to a trade more specifically welding. Heck, they have that as an option in high school now.

You and me made our decision years ago what we were going to do after graduating high school. It is no longer about you and me. In your opinion, you’d want your kid to chase a specified trade. Good for you and I hope your kid is successful and that he can find enough money to make his dreams work.

I would advise my kids to pursue an education that agrees with their current and future expectations of money and happiness.

Which one of us is correct?

My answer? Both. And both have been educated in what they are signing up for.

The problem is not the education system. Maybe it is how it is advertised, politics, etc. The root cause is the lack of parenting and actually advising your child of the ramifications of a decision based on fairy dust happiness in an arts degree in philanthropy or whatever the hell people get degrees in these days.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how life would have been different if I’d went to college instead of Hancock BMW to turn wrenches.

Those with children, did you not plan for college or was it “I’ll deal with it when the time comes”

Just curious
    See post above. My parents did not properly plan for my education. I went to a public institution with shades of orange, white, and the occasional purple. And that was before the inflation from multiple national championship football teams. 38 y/o, 3 years left on repayment. I have a 3 y/o with an adequately funded 529, savings account dedicated to wedding. We are expecting a son in March that has an established 529 awaiting SSN to fund, and a savings account for post-marriage. My wife works when she wants to. I do not regret one thing in my life, enjoy one hell of a ride offshore with a group that is significantly more well-off than me, and I know CatDaddy personally. I’d say life has gone well, even if my parents didn’t plan for college for me. Hell, my eyes were crossed when I was a kid. I probably would have planned for me to attend HVAC insulation school too after taking a look at me.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Sorta like the PPP recipient's, its all good when it benefits you
    That's all, carry on
    Wonder how many boats, vehicles , guns, equipment, toys, etc was purchased with the PPP? They took the loan, goverment forgave it and a new boat appears in your life. Who exactly is at fault? The small business owner that took the money or the goverment that forgave it?
    Last edited by KRT; 01-19-2024 at 10:50 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!