Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Student loans

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    I believe we should have to pay off student loans but I also believe something has to be done. People are starving, living in cars, etc. because people their parent's age believe "you make a good living" nevermind the exponential increased cost of living. People are barely hanging on and these "careers" are a crock of shit. Bosses getting richer while the thumb is kept on the "lazy". Funny though, even the successful business owners I know had help getting started. Our generation is not getting the same help. Bust my ass, for what, to make the boss richer? Nah dog, I'm good. After busting my ass for years with nothing but more debt to show, I'll do what I have to do to get my job done while constantly looking for something better to improve my life and that of my family. Quit calling undervalued employees lazy when they get pissed off about you bragging about a new vehicle, house, or vacation. Sorry, we don't give a shit anymore because we just decided to eat ramen for the 14th time this week.
    Sounds like you're in the right frame of mind to step out and start up your own business.

The Biden administration is executing their campaign pledge, forgive college debt. The SOTUS ruled against some of their plan, but the Education Department is moving out forgiving loans to people in the public sector who meet the criteria (teaching in a Title 1 school/Police/Fire/Social Worker). The DOE has really started working the books to see who was eligible but not taking advantage of the program. The US DOE must overcome their incompetence to get more people relief before the SOTUS rulings coming out in Jun 24. The federal government must get out the college education business. After adjusting for currency inflation, college tuition has increased 747.8% since 1963.

The college landscape will change based on many factors; smaller high school graduation numbers, students totally unprepared to do the work (COVID really hurt as secondary schools did not/could not provide education), and college leadership unable to maneuver in the environment (overcoming COVID knowledge gap/attitude, navigating DEI, and appeal of Affirmative Action). When I talked to my youngest son's college president 3 years ago, he feared DEI, the federal backed student loans going away (97% of his student body had loans) and the his ability to get his professor and staff to understand their job (retaining and graduating students with useful knowledge and skills).

Also, everyone bitching on this thread are the same ones that constantly complain about this generation of duck hunters, yet how many of you have taken young hunters under your wing and taught them the right way to do it? Based off the amount of older guys I talk to complaining at the ramps, not very many of you. Next time you want to complain about this generation but didn't do what your dad and his friends did to help others, then look in the mirror and bitch at yourself. Sure some of them are entitled little shits but not all of them. A lot are just pissed because they had to teach themselves everything and as a result don't have a group to hunt with.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    Are the loans forgiven or just passed on to others? Will tax $ pay for them? If so, is it better to pay back your loan or payback others for as long as you live/work?
    You missed my point I believe. Or course student loans can't be forgiven, someone pays for it, which would be the tax payers. But the tax payer also pays for any tax cut or any type of government spending. It is all the same money, which is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    You missed my point I believe. Or course student loans can't be forgiven, someone pays for it, which would be the tax payers. But the tax payer also pays for any tax cut or any type of government spending. It is all the same money, which is my point.
    Also whatever amount is "forgiven" shows up as taxable income come April Thefteenth.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Also whatever amount is "forgiven" shows up as taxable income come April Thefteenth.
    And the beneficiaries will bitch and moan about how unfair that is…

80% of them will never report it on their returns.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    80% of them will never report it on their returns.
    Oh they won't have to. Uncle Sugar knows and it'll be there.

I paid mine off
    Oh, and I'm pretty sure that if anyone of you owed 50k or 60k and were
    making a $500 monthly student loan payment and Uncle Biden said it was 'forgiven"
    you wouldn't be bitching
    Sorta like the PPP recipient's, its all good when it benefits you
    That's all, carry on

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    College is a complete waste of time and money with very few exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You need a much smaller paint brush, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I paid mine off
    making a $500 monthly student loan payment and Uncle Biden said it was 'forgiven"
    you wouldn't be bitching
    That's all, carry on
    Yeah I agree...Mine kills me but I signed up for it, so here I am... I'm fortunate, mine was about 1/4 the cost of a 4 year program.

It's discouraging as a young person nowadays because you're told you need to go to college, get a degree to be successful. Lot of truth in that, but also a lot of not so true. Fortunately I work for a company that does not put an emphasis on education.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

College doesn't benefit everyone but a lot of job descriptions say
    "college degree required". I am glad my BSBA is on my resume.
    I wouldn't have been hired into my last two positions if I didn't have a 4 year degree.
    With-that-said and knowing what I know now about several skill trades earning potential,
    particularly if you have an entrepreneurial spirit.......I wouldn't have gone.
    I loved my time at ECU, it was a good era to be on a campus

College doesn't benefit everyone but a lot of job descriptions say
    "college degree required". I am glad my BSBA is on my resume.
    I wouldn't have been hired into my last two positions if I didn't have a 4 year degree.
    With-that-said and knowing what I know now about several skill trades earning potential,
    particularly if you have an entrepreneurial spirit.......I wouldn't have gone.
    I loved my time at ECU, it was a good era to be on a campus
    Definitely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I paid mine off
    you wouldn't be bitching
    That's all, carry on
    So then people like you is part of the problem. Get used to free shit and never go go back? If I am wrong please tell me why!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    So then people like you is part of the problem. Get used to free shit and never go go back? If I am wrong please tell me why!
    You're an idiot
    I paid my student loans
    I was calling out the same people that took the PPP free money for their business
    are complaining about student loan forgiveness and that's sorta hypocritical.
    All are being passed on to the youth as you like to say, so don't cherry pick which social program check
    Did you send back your COVID stimulus money?

You're an idiot
    I paid my student loans
    I was calling out the same people that took the PPP free money for their business
    are complaining about student loan forgiveness and that's sorta hypocritical.
    All are being passed on to the youth as you like to say, so don't cherry pick which social program check
    Did you send back your COVID stimulus money?
    Never got any stimulus money. So who is the idiot? You really need to take a hard look at life.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Dumbocrats already grasping at straws for 2024

Funny thing is those w college loan debt have wised up, they actually thought FJB was going to forgive them last year and see how that went

He actually gave them a brutal reality check on politicians “promises”

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Dumbocrats already grasping at straws for 2024

Funny thing is those w college loan debt have wised up, they actually thought FJB was going to forgive them last year and see how that went

He actually gave them a brutal reality check on politicians “promises”
    yep, the only reason this topic popped up in the news is "vote pandering" timing

It all seems like Monopoly money between Ukraine getting billions, Israel getting plenty, and god knows what other countries and programs on the payroll. I’d rather see it go to something like loan forgiveness over other countries.

I paid mine off within a year of graduating, my wife has a pile of debt (pharmacy degree). I doubt she’ll ever get hers forgiven, but I’ll take it if it is. Same way plenty of people took PPP money and stashed it until it was forgiven (wasn’t lucky on that front personally, no checks came my way).

As it stands right now my oldest daughter will graduate from Anderson with somewhere between 20-25K in debt. I believe that's a good price to pay for a great education. I fully expect her to pay every penny of it back. She knew the coat before she chose to attend.