Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Student loans

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    No. Employers don’t invest in training for base line knowledge a college graduate is expected to have. So if you don’t demonstrate that you have that base line knowledge in the interview process someone else is going to get the job

It isn’t just finance that is specific like that. Same can be said for just about any business degree if you want to end up being in charge of something some day
    I understand they don’t……..that’s my point is that they could. But again, finance and business are what I would consider specialties so I would advocate for schooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my daughter is a junior at a 4 year state school. She will graduate from the honors program with a degree in finance and will start a career earning six figures the day she graduates and the compensation curve is steep from there as long as she sticks with it and does a good job. There is a zero percent chance she would have this opportunity without her college degree. She is fortunate that she won't have debt when she graduates but if she did she would pay it off within a few years
    My son was the same way. Had a 6 figure job before he even graduated. He got a business degree in Real Estate and graduated with honors. He's doing commercial real estate acquisitions. College is valuable if you don't get a bullshit degree.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and i think this "indoctrination" stuff is utter nonsense but people keep on repeating it over and over.

it takes two to tango
    My son came out of college(UGA) MORE conservative than he went in.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Oh there is no doubt who would get the call. That is what I am saying……I think that is just because “that’s how it is”. Piece of paper doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Yes, I went to college. Fortunately, I had athletic scholarships along with the life scholarship. I took a cake major a studying was minimal to say the least. My 18 year old self could have 100% done my same job and probably been much better. Four years of mentorship and on the job training would have been way more valuable (at least to me).

My degree didn’t get me the job, it’s like 95% of everything else in life……it’s about relationships and networking.

Maybe I just think differently, I don’t know. You either have drive or you don’t. The average person is going to change careers 5 times anyway so college is not necessarily putting you into your life long position.

In summary….
    -If you can get school paid for by scholarships and want to go then go
    -If you a parent and want to pay for your kids college and have prepared for doing so then send them
    -If you are going to college just to check a box because that’s what everyone else has done then I don’t think that is a great idea and there are probably better options

I will put the disclaimer that I’m not sure me and my wife are on the same page

I agree with most of what you have been saying, we're just framing it a little different

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    My son came out of college(UGA) MORE conservative than he went in.
    My daughter is at UGA...seems like their business school is doing a pretty good job!

Both my kids are free thinkers and mock the indoctrination stuff. They think for themselves - i don't always agree with what they conclude but respect how they arrive at their opinion.

I understand they don’t……..that’s my point is that they could. But again, finance and business are what I would consider specialties so I would advocate for schooling.

They could but why would they when they can outsource that part of training to a college?

Just like the NFL could create a farm system if they wanted to. But they already unofficially have one called the NCAA

No. Employers don’t invest in training for base line knowledge a college graduate is expected to have. So if you don’t demonstrate that you have that base line knowledge in the interview process someone else is going to get the job

It isn’t just finance that is specific like that. Same can be said for just about any business degree if you want to end up being in charge of something some day
    correct, when you get into your 'area of concentration', you definitely come out of the gate at least knowing the fundamentals.
    For example: i can tell you right now, the specific things I learned in economics class and sitting in accounting doing balance sheets and income statement and P&L
    assignments
    Oh, and we didn't have 'Google" or "Youtube" to help us...........we went to the campus library
    Last edited by ecu1984; 01-24-2024 at 02:31 PM.

My daughter is at UGA...seems like their business school is doing a pretty good job!

Both my kids are free thinkers and mock the indoctrination stuff. They think for themselves - i don't always agree with what they conclude but respect how they arrive at their opinion.
    Yeah, Terry is a great business school. The only bad part is most of the grads end up in Atlanta...yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Pro tip for those with kids coming up and pondering a 4 year degree
    Go to a local community college for two years and knock out the basic "general college" courses,
    then transfer to University for the final two years and get degree in the area of specialization.
    4 year degree will be from the University and you will have saved many thousands
    We followed that plan with my daughters.
    It’s not where you start it’s where you finish.

Well heck, I wish someone would have told me that years ago. Can one of y’all with a degree come buy my electrical company so I can retire??

They could but why would they when they can outsource that part of training to a college?

Just like the NFL could create a farm system if they wanted to. But they already unofficially have one called the NCAA
    They wouldn’t. Which I think is a big part of the problem. Why pay for something if you can get someone else too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Well heck, I wish someone would have told me that years ago. Can one of y’all with a degree come buy my electrical company so I can retire??
    Being an entrepreneur and bootstrapping your own business is among the last vestiges of the american dream. Congratulations to you if you built a good business that sustains you and your family without a college education. That is very impressive.

Thank you Shortmagfan. I know several businesses the same as me but in different fields that are doing well also. It’s not a college degree that got them there, It’s hard work and not being scared to get dirty. Well, and some common sense too. Thats hard to find in kids now days.

I’m not saying college isn’t a good thing, just it’s not the “only” thing. My biggest problem is all the schools teaching kids “if you don’t have a degree you’ll never amount to anything or have a good paying job”.

Bobby, I haven't read every comment in this thread but I saw above where you mentioned you were on an athletic scholarship and took a cake major. Could that be where part of the problem lies? Athletes are often guided to an easy or cake major. There are two parts to that. One is to make sure the athlete graduates from the school to look good. The other is simply so the program can boast good GPA's for whatever sport you are playing. It's seen all over each semester what sport posted what GPA. If you took a cake major then your skepticism of "going to college" is most likely skewed. I know you are doing well now, but as I stated earlier in this thread college shows a potential employer that you committed to something for a minimum of four years. You showed up on time and did what you were supposed to do. It means a lot.

the government shouldn't be involved in education. even if one's conservative wife is a public school teacher and really cares about the kids and its bureaucratic school admin's fault. end thread.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Bobby, I haven't read every comment in this thread but I saw above where you mentioned you were on an athletic scholarship and took a cake major. Could that be where part of the problem lies? Athletes are often guided to an easy or cake major. There are two parts to that. One is to make sure the athlete graduates from the school to look good. The other is simply so the program can boast good GPA's for whatever sport you are playing. It's seen all over each semester what sport posted what GPA. If you took a cake major then your skepticism of "going to college" is most likely skewed. I know you are doing well now, but as I stated earlier in this thread college shows a potential employer that you committed to something for a minimum of four years. You showed up on time and did what you were supposed to do. It means a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I think everyone’s personal experience plays a part in how they view the world. Yes, my degree doesn’t have much value to me because I don’t feel like I have a lot invested (time, effort, money). I concede that point but at the same time it still doesn’t change the fact that both positions I have held, 100% did not require a degree. I’m not talking prerequisite, I’m talking from an ability standpoint.

I’m not promoting kids not going to college. I’m promoting kids or their parents not spending absorbent amounts of money to simply mature and “figure things out”. I probably misspoke in my initial post when I said most. I think the correct verbiage should have been many.

Bobby, do you want your kids to not go to college?
    Honest question? No shot intended
    It's definitely not necessary for all and not needed to be successful
    but college does have it's place and it's not cheap.
    One of my sons has a 4yr degree and the other doesn't, they both are doing great.
    Not saying you are, but I hate to see parents talking about it being a waste of money to their kids
    because they are worried about paying for it, and I have seen that
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-20-2024 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Bobby, do you want your kids to not go to college?
    Honest question? No shot intended
    It's definitely not necessary for all and not needed to be successful
    but college does have it's place and it's not cheap.
    One of my son's has a 4yr degree and the other doesn't, they both are doing great.
    Not saying you are, but I hate to see parents talking about it being a waste of money to their kids
    because they are worried about paying for it, and I have seen that
    I don’t want my kids to go to college just for the sake of checking the box.