Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Student loans

Default Student loans

Seems to be a hot topic again. Apparently people are boycotting student loan payments in protest of them not being cancelled….. How long before they try again to get them forgiven to buy votes?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

seems like the democrats will start pushing that again this fall ahead of November.

I wonder what would happen if I protested my mortgage???

I think we know the answer to that one

I wonder what percentage of the folks protesting student loads have degrees in STEM areas of study?

Tough for me to criticize the sentiment; It's a disillusioned generation who were sold a false bill of goods. You must go to college, you must rack up insane amounts of debt at a young age, but its ok, you will have a high paying career for your efforts. Sike, but chick-fil-a is hiring.

And why has the price of college education gone up so drastically? It's similar to the predatory mortgage lending practices that led to the 2008 housing market collapse. Just more tools in the toolbox to keep a population of slaves.

I understand this Dems will use this situation to their advantage to buy votes, but the core of the complaint is a legitimate one. Predatory practices on people who are too young to know better (and not all have financially intelligent parents to educate them prior to).
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

He forgave another couope of billion TODAY!! Nothing but vote buying! Crook
    Last edited by DRDUCK; 01-19-2024 at 01:31 PM.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Disagree with the "too young to know better" statement, but the system is broken. Did these people take out a loan? Yes. Are they, not the taxpayer, obligated to repay it? Absolutely Yes.

This current generation will discourage their kids from going to school in about 2035 and attendance rates will drop, or there will be a significant shift from the current brick and mortar campus 4 year universities. The trend is already starting, but Little Susie with $150,000 in debt and a liberal arts career paying $46K a year wont let her kid make the same mistake.

First of all, it's not student loan cancellation or forgiveness. It's transferring the debt to tax payers. Second, you took out a loan to get something of value, time to pay your debt. It's that simple. If you default, then you should have to suffer the consequences. It's called being an adult. Stupid. You would think after all those years of college, they could figure this out.

Biden is the most corrupt politician I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. Just remember, he don't work for you, pal!

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Tough for me to criticize the sentiment; It's a disillusioned generation who were sold a false bill of goods. You must go to college, you must rack up insane amounts of debt at a young age, but its ok, you will have a high paying career for your efforts. Sike, but chick-fil-a is hiring.

And why has the price of college education gone up so drastically? It's similar to the predatory mortgage lending practices that led to the 2008 housing market collapse. Just more tools in the toolbox to keep a population of slaves.

I understand this Dems will use this situation to their advantage to buy votes, but the core of the complaint is a legitimate one. Predatory practices on people who are too young to know better (and not all have financially intelligent parents to educate them prior to).
    I've been waiting on the college racket to implode for years. It's the biggest money grab. Your paying for a product, then they dictate that you have to take courses like art, drama or theater that have nothing to do with your major. All the while, paying out high salaries. Go do a salary search. Type in any last name, 85-90% are all employed by higher education. I hate to even think what it will cost my kids.

Take the feds out of the student loan system and the free market will sort it out in short order.

Anyone in finance knows a $150K loan on a career with a starting salary of $40K and placement percentage of 60% is a bad loan and wont write it. When the universities start seeing attendance drop they'll either start lowering tuition, or start working harder to up their placement percentage. Both of which are good for the students.

Too young to know better when it comes to student loans but old enough to know they are a different gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Second, you took out a loan to get something of value, time to pay your debt. It's that simple. If you default, then you should have to suffer the consequences. It's called being an adult. Stupid. You would think after all those years of college, they could figure this out.
    You consider an 18 year an adult, capable of making informed, intelligent, life-impacting decisions? Have you met many 18-year-olds? Don't use a programmed response that because the government dictates that at 18 you can do x,y,z, use your own capacities and your personal experience with TEENAGERS.

They were taught to rely on advisors to advise them. They also been conditioned to not think for themselves, but that's a whole another can of worms.
    Last edited by everlast; 01-19-2024 at 02:03 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I'm not for forgiving student loans, but it always makes me laugh when people criticize it. We are all hypocrites when it comes to government spending. The same person who is against student loan cancellation will be for government farm subsidies, public hunting land, tax breaks for certain people/businesses, PPP loan forgiveness, etc. It's all government spending, it just wears different hats and benefits different people. Everybody loves when it benefits them, but hates it when it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Too young to know better when it comes to student loans but old enough to know they are a different gender.
    Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I'm not for forgiving student loans, but it always makes me laugh when people criticize it. We are all hypocrites when it comes to government spending. The same person who is against student loan cancellation will be for government farm subsidies, public hunting land, tax breaks for certain people/businesses, PPP loan forgiveness, etc. It's all government spending, it just wears different hats and benefits different people. Everybody loves when it benefits them, but hates it when it doesn't.
    Are the loans forgiven or just passed on to others? Will tax $ pay for them? If so, is it better to pay back your loan or payback others for as long as you live/work?

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    precisely my point. both are examples of being too emotionally immature to make life-altering decisions.

Why do you have to be 25 to rent a car?
    Last edited by everlast; 01-19-2024 at 02:25 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

College is a complete waste of time and money with very few exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe we should have to pay off student loans but I also believe something has to be done. People are starving, living in cars, etc. because people their parent's age believe "you make a good living" nevermind the exponential increased cost of living. People are barely hanging on and these "careers" are a crock of shit. Bosses getting richer while the thumb is kept on the "lazy". Funny though, even the successful business owners I know had help getting started. Our generation is not getting the same help. Bust my ass, for what, to make the boss richer? Nah dog, I'm good. After busting my ass for years with nothing but more debt to show, I'll do what I have to do to get my job done while constantly looking for something better to improve my life and that of my family. Quit calling undervalued employees lazy when they get pissed off about you bragging about a new vehicle, house, or vacation. Sorry, we don't give a shit anymore because we just decided to eat ramen for the 14th time this week.
    For the ducks

I see a lot of folks sharing memes and the occasional Mike Rowe post about the shortage of skilled trades men and women and promoting kids going into trades instead of college. Then I see those same folks using a hot shot poker to move their kids toward and into 4 year universities.

So which is it? Y'all like college or not? Because I'm seeing conflicting data on the facetagram.