Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha 10 vs Whistle + e-collar

Default Alpha 10 vs Whistle + e-collar

Looking for thoughts when it comes to these two options. Will be using the new Boykin-dog for blood trailing deer outside of typical Boykin-dog duties. Already have a standard e-collar, but want tracking option too, especially once we get into deer work. I don’t think I really have the need for an Alpha 100 or higher. Seems like a 10 would do everything I’d need it to once the dog is collar conditioned. But it honestly seems like a Whistle paired with the regular e-collar might work just as well or better.

The only caveat is that I do have plans of adding a squirrel dog to the pack in the next year or two, which is where I’d see that an Alpha would have the upper hand.

What say the masses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I would go with a used alpha 100/200 before the 10. I think the 10 only uses a compass and no map. Watching the map on a deer track is a big deal.

the garmins all hook up your phone through an app so you can watch the dogs on your phone instead of the little screen on the 10.

i’d get the 10
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    I would go with a used alpha 100/200 before the 10. I think the 10 only uses a compass and no map. Watching the map on a deer track is a big deal.
    Like Raybird said, it’ll connect to your phone so you can watch the track.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

For this application the Alpha is better than the whistle.

With Whistle, the update speed slows down when out of WIFI range.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    the garmins all hook up your phone through an app so you can watch the dogs on your phone instead of the little screen on the 10.

i’d get the 10
    How can I connect my Alpha 100 to my Android phone? I've looked at Playstore and the app description seems to say it's a separate LTE function that requires a subscription.

To the original poster, I use the Alpha 100 to track multiple dogs quail hunting and for blood tracking. Having the track on a map is indeed very helpful in sorting out where a deer might be headed and for picking the shortest path to drag a deer and finding my way back to the truck.. Having the ability to beep or shock my dog and tell her to break off the trail and come back is also important for me. I can also turn the collar blinker lights on and off remotely. That helps me find my dogs in the dark. It also gives me a little comfort if they are anywhere near enough to a road that they might get lured into crossing. I try not to get into that situation.

I'm not in love with the form factor of the Alpha 100. I have to dangle it from a carabiner from my belt that keeps it upside from my vantage point of looking down at it. The screen is pretty little so I have to put my reader glasses on every time I need to check the screen. The menu structure isn't very intuitive for me either and I find myself pushing a lot of buttons to find what I need. The more I use it, the less of an issue that is though.

Default Alpha 10 vs Whistle + e-collar

I have an Alpha 10 and an Alpha 200i. I'll take the Alpha 10 synced to my phone with the Garmin Explore app over the 200i handheld all day everyday. The 10 is lighter and on a lanyard around my neck during hunts. I use it for correction and to view distances of dogs quickly. If I need to look at the satellite map I pull out my phone and view them off the Explore map thats synced to the 10. Easy and very convenient, plus the maps are much better on the app, also I can save and replay hunts/tracks from the app. My 200 stays in my truck synced to my drivetrack.

Last edited by ccleroy; 01-18-2024 at 09:20 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I have an Alpha 10 and an Alpha 200i. I'll take the Alpha 10 synced to my phone with the Garmin Explore app over the 200i handheld all day everyday. The 10 is lighter and on a lanyard around my neck during hunts. I use it for correction and to view distances of dogs quickly. If I need to look at the satellite map I pull out my phone and view them off the Explore map thats synced to the 10. Easy and very convenient, plus the maps are much better on the app.

How is it when scrolling through dogs when you start toning to stop a race? Seems the 200 or 300 would be much quicker with this.

Once you get used to scrolling with the button its just as easy as the 200i. I have no problem at all toning and breaking them down with it. You literally drop down to each dog and tone the same way.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 01-18-2024 at 09:23 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I've got the 10, no issues, it works for what I need it to do.

On a similar note, I used to be able to connect my Alpha 100 to my desktop via a USB cable and download the tracks using the Garmin Connect website. This seems to be gone now. What is the newer way to see the tracks on a desktop?

I am about to see how good the Whistle is. It attaches to his current collar. Apparently this last week it got ripped off while duck hunting. I didnt pay attention and just got a notification that he was 29 miles from home. It shows a general area and its probably gone but I am going to see how good it is. Hoping that it is hanging in some briars a duck fell in that weren't in the actual duck hole

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a 10 wouldn’t be a bad way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    For this application the Alpha is better than the whistle.

With Whistle, the update speed slows down when out of WIFI range.

What kind of update rate is it when it’s not connected to WiFi?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    What kind of update rate is it when it’s not connected to WiFi?

It depends on how it's set up. I think mine is every 6 minutes when he's out of wifi range....but I get a notification and hit the "Find my pet" button. The update rate changes to every 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I am about to see how good the Whistle is. It attaches to his current collar. Apparently this last week it got ripped off while duck hunting. I didnt pay attention and just got a notification that he was 29 miles from home. It shows a general area and its probably gone but I am going to see how good it is. Hoping that it is hanging in some briars a duck fell in that weren't in the actual duck hole
    When you get near it, hit the Find my pet button. Also the bullseye screen will help zero it in.

You need to find it before your battery dies.

When you get near it, hit the Find my pet button. Also the bullseye screen will help zero it in.

You need to find it before your battery dies.

Thanks for the tips. Just checked and battery is at 59%. I might get out there today but definitely by tomorrow. SHould be good for that long

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Just checked and battery is at 59%. I might get out there today but definitely by tomorrow. SHould be good for that long
    You will need to use the bullseye screen when you get close. I lost mine inside the safe zone. I still used the find my pet button. When I zeroed in with the bullseye, I was standing on it. It was under some leaves.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how a regular e-collar and a whistle hanging around your neck was a viable replacement for a garmin tracking system.

You will need to use the bullseye screen when you get close. I lost mine inside the safe zone. I still used the find my pet button. When I zeroed in with the bullseye, I was standing on it. It was under some leaves.

Does that work if I don’t have it Bluetooth paired? My wife has that part set up but I didn’t think I would need to do it.