Thread: Wyoming Non Resident Elk changes

Default Wyoming Non Resident Elk changes

Pretty big changes to this years draw. How do you think it will affect preference points required to draw a general tag for 2024? Regular draw last year was 4-4.5 points. Some are suggesting it may jump to 7-8 points.

Sho makes me glad I burned mine last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Sho makes me glad I burned mine last year.
    Smart man, I am in the draw with 5 points and maybe flat out of luck with these changes. Fingers crossed

According to the article... so they limit the areas non res can hunt bc the elk population has increased significantly since the 1980s when the 7500 tag number was set based on no biological reason? I get limiting oos’ers to certain areas only. But are they lowering number of tags for no res too?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Imagine it will make LE units that much tougher to draw also. I'm sitting on 12 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    so they limit the areas non res can hunt
    so can we do this for state duck hunting and private deer leases in SC
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Was scrolling thru YouTube last night and came across a florida hunting channel/ guess where their 4 clubs were??

This is how I see it.

It will depend on whether you are looking at LE areas, general areas or Wilderness areas.

I think the wilderness areas will stay largely the same. Most outfitters are booked up years in advance, and unless you get a spot, I don't see how the numbers increase. I have 10 points and will be booking a Wilderness hunt next week for 2027. It only takes 4-5 to draw regular today.

LE units will be impossible for regular draw without close to maximum. LE units might go up 5-6 points. Special draw might actually go down a little, but probably not.

General areas will probably be the same as the LE with a little less immediate creep up.

The Wyoming Outfitters association was behind the change. They are also the one who pushed to keep NR out of wilderness areas. Just follow the money, the outfitters believe they have clients that can afford the special draw increase. May will bring some interesting results, I believe.

Outfitters....got to love a guy making a living bringing in OOS’ers to hunt his state while lobbying to keep other Oos’ers, competition, out......
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

There is absolutely no way to know what it will do. I paid extra for the limited entry special last year and didn’t draw. Had I applied regular I would have drawn. According to all the prognostication sites I was 100%. IME they’ve been wrong more than right.