Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk 1 ton gas trucks

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Ford, Chevy, or Ram. Pick your flavor.

I like the 6.6 platform on GM, no DFM

The 7.3 Godzilla has impressed me as well.

I’ve personally done some injectors on a 7.3
    Can you get it without dfm or do you have to delete on the 6.6?

Also have you heard of them requiring Def in gas motors in the near future? A mechanic said something to me about it a while back and I haven't looked into it.

The L8T (6.6) comes factory without DFM. One of my upcoming LS swaps is going to get this engine

No sir, no DEF on gas.
    More fuel = more boost!!

The new ford 6.8l in the xl truck has me intrigued. You can get it with the 4:30 gears. I don’t need messaging seats or 13” diagonal touch screens.

To get the 7.3 in the XL you have to get a $10k appearance package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t get too interested in the 6.8L, they’re pulling the plug on it

What would the mileage be on a 7.3 gasser pulling a 16k lb camper or a 38 foot gooseneck with 2 tractors on it?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    What would the mileage be on a 7.3 gasser pulling a 16k lb camper or a 38 foot gooseneck with 2 tractors on it?
    If you have a 16k camper and a 40 foot gooseneck with 2 tractors on it…. Is fuel mileage really a concern?

The amount and cost of fuel it will burn is far less than diesel maintenance, expenses, and repairs.

** Note ** If your 3/4 ton truck keeps 16k behind it, a diesel may be your go to, however with today’s technology and gear ratio on the gas trucks it would be hard to justify as far as COST alone. The diesel with the torque will still run circles on gas with torque and fuel economy. Basically 16k on a diesel, you’d prob not even know it’s back there like you would with a gas truck.

2020 -2023 GM 6.6 with the 6 speed has perked my interest before. The F50 with the 7.3 has as well. Just a 10 speed bothers me. However the fuel mileage is better coupled with the 10 speed.
    Last edited by KRT; 01-16-2024 at 06:34 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    8.5-10 fepending in how heavy your foot is and how flat your terrain is....lightly loaded my boat is 16k +/-. See a touch over 8 holding 75mph. I see 12-ish pulling my bay boat at 80.

Last trip to Uwharrie with a CJ and FJ on the trailer, saw 9.1 round trip from the LowCountry.

10 speed trans is impressive...no 4.5k rpm screaming while trying to pull a grade. I lock out 9/10 when loaded heavy, otherwise it will pull the bay boat/Jeep in top gear on flat land.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 01-16-2024 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Don’t get too interested in the 6.8L, they’re pulling the plug on it
    Hadn’t heard that one. I think the only thing it was offered in was the XL’s. The upgrade to the 7.3L wasn’t much more overall.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    Tell me the bad on the Ford 6.2. I’m looking used so my options are limited.
    I have a 19 F250 with the 6.2. I’ll pass everything but a gas station. Just pulled 9k from SC to Wyoming and didn’t skip a beat. Hauled the same load to Illinois back in August and it out pulled my brother in laws Cummins in speed. I’m a big fan

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    I have a 19 F250 with the 6.2. I’ll pass everything but a gas station. Just pulled 9k from SC to Wyoming and didn’t skip a beat. Hauled the same load to Illinois back in August and it out pulled my brother in laws Cummins in speed. I’m a big fan

What kinda mileage you up to on the odometer? Curious if they are wore slap out at 150k, that seems to be where the ones I am finding are sitting in the price point I’m searching.
    Last edited by wdhigh; 01-16-2024 at 12:56 PM.

Buddy of ours just pulled out of the driveway in a new Chevy 6.6 with the Allison tranny and it was a beast
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    What kinda mileage you up to on the odometer? Curious if they are wore slap out at 150k, that seems to be where the ones I am finding are sitting in the price point I’m searching.
    I bought mine with 150k have put quite a bit miles on it since then. Not pulling in around 12–13 pulling I averaged 7.8 over 1600 miles to Wyoming. From my research the 6.2 is a beast

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I did just do some reading and it seems that the new 6.8L in the XL truck comes with a lighter duty 10sp than the 7.3L truck. So that could be a deal breaker. Its about a $7k difference between the XL and the XLT which comes standard with the 7.3L with options I wanted.

RAM has a 787 day nationwide inventory of 2500 trucks available in all trim levels. You can get one for 25% off MSRP with little to no haggling right now. IIRC, they had something like 520+ on 3500's and 2-300 on 1500's for the '23 model year. Of course, resale and trade in values will suck like a lot of RAM owners are finding out now.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Everyone says buy a Ram..get in one and drive it, they say..just cain't dewwit. Bought a new Ram 1500 (in 1999 A.D.)..it needed a new transmission at 35 K miles. Never again.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    Everyone says buy a Ram..get in one and drive it, they say..just cain't dewwit. Bought a new Ram 1500 (in 1999 A.D.)..it needed a new transmission at 35 K miles. Never again.
    If you buy a Cummins, apparently, they throw in the rest of the truck for free now. One of my subs rolled up in a new Laramie last week, said that it stickered for $81K and he got it for $58 and change.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post

Something must have been wrong with your BIL’s Cummins. We had a f350 with a 6.2 and it couldn’t keep up with our 6.7s with 24ft stock trailers or 30ft flatbeds. Ended up throwing a bale bed on it and it was relegated to feeding only. 55-60 was all it could hold with 10hd behind it.
    cut\'em

Got a 2015 F250 4x4 xlt 6.2……been good so far but only got 63k on it right now. Wanted a f250 but didn’t want to deal with a diesel.
    \"Saved by the Grace of God\"

Does anyone have a gm 6.6 gas with the Allison 10 speed transmission? This sounds like a good combo for people who only occasionally pull heavy loads

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Does anyone have a gm 6.6 gas with the Allison 10 speed transmission? This sounds like a good combo for people who only occasionally pull heavy loads
    I’ve got a 2024, like it a lot so far.