Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk 1 ton gas trucks

Default Let’s talk 1 ton gas trucks

If you were looking to buy a 1 ton single rear wheel truck with gas motor, what would it be and why? Would be used for occasional towing of travel trailer and tractor.

If it's "occasional" towing of your tractor and camper, what size are they?

3/4 ton will probably get it done... that's all I mean.

I've got an F350 with the 7.3L gas in it. 2022 year model. I'm in love...

Regular mileage is average 13-14mpg. Car hauler with a load is probably 10-12mpg depending on where you're going (interstate vs. around here).

There's nearly zero mileage difference pulling a small boat from Blythewood to Beaufort on Hwy 21.

Cost difference at the dealer is ~$10k. Savings at the pump and motor option savings drove my decision.

It's one badass motor. We'll see about longevity with my relatively light duty use.

The 2023 order that I submitted still hasn't been filled. It's been re-entered as a 2024 order... we'll see how that goes. I bought the 2022 in Ohio when I was on a work trip and had an employee drive it home for me. It's the only 7.3L 3/4-1ton truck that I've seen on a lot in 2yrs. It had 6500mi on it and was driven by an old man. I bought it the second I saw it.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

My buddy just bought a 6.6L Chevy and he doesn't hate it. So, there's that.

He gets about 15mpg from what I'm told. So, that's a consideration.

I wouldn't buy GM if it were the last pickup on the planet. I'd sooner saddle a horse to head to work.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I’ve got a ‘20 F350 SRW CC LWB Lariat. 7.3L, 4.30 gear with Airlift 7000 bags and 73000 EZ compressor. I tuned it the day after I got it with 5 Star Tuning and run an 87 Octane Daily Tow tune. LIs got 295/65R20 BFG HD Terrains, heavy duty front suspension and camper package. Tows my equipment, dump trailer and boat with ease. Not a great ride unloaded but stick 10K plus behind it and it’s smooth as you can ask for. Mileage sucks but it’s not made for that and a $10K delta buys a lot of gas plus I don’t worry about fuel, fuel systems, DPF, DEF, emissions etc. 44K and it sees the shop for service.

GM’s 6.6 is better compared to the base 6.8 Ford, not in the same class as the 7.3l
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Let me get this straight, gas gets less mpg, less power, so you got to get a tune and all this fancy new stuff to even do 3/4 of what a stock diesel will do. Gas motors are for pulling Jon boat and pick up at Kroger

Do we have to do this shit again

This is copy and paste for gassers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Let me get this straight, gas gets less mpg, less power, so you got to get a tune and all this fancy new stuff to even do 3/4 of what a stock diesel will do. Gas motors are for pulling Jon boat and pick up at Kroger
    Tune is more for the transmission than the engine. You get a slight bump in power on a N.A. gas truck but it doesn’t skip shift. Tows everything I ever pulled with a 3/4 or 1ton SRW diesel with zero issues. Bags would be on a gas or diesel no matter what.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Campbeller View Post
    Do we have to do this shit again
    Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you read it or comment so stfu.

������

Sorry I hurt you feelings. Good luck with the truck info search

I’m picking up a 2021 F250 with the 7.3 in it this month for work. It’ll be used to pull a SxS burn rig or gooseneck and 75hp tractor. Going with the gas vs diesel in hopes of avoiding DEF and all the other extra expenses to include fuel costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

22 F250 Lariat with 7.3 here. No comparison between the 6.6 gas in the GMs.....hands down winner in every category. No DEF issues, no fuel pump issues, no exhaust issues. Pulls 18k pound boat with no problems. It'll hold 85 mph and 15 MPG to FLA and back unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    22 F250 Lariat with 7.3 here. No comparison between the 6.6 gas in the GMs.....hands down winner in every category. No DEF issues, no fuel pump issues, no exhaust issues. Pulls 18k pound boat with no problems. It'll hold 85 mph and 15 MPG to FLA and back unloaded.
    What gears? My stock tremor was 13.5 with stock tires and 4:30 rear and 7.3.

We are looking at a 10k 37ft bumper pull camper so this topic is relevant to me. I’m fine with gas except filling up on trips. Many stations are a pain with long trailers trying to get unleaded.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post

We are looking at a 10k 37ft bumper pull camper so this topic is relevant to me. I’m fine with gas except filling up on trips. Many stations are a pain with long trailers trying to get unleaded.
    I pull a 7k pound(empty), 36’ travel trailer with 3 slides now with a 2013 f150 with Ecoboost, 35” all terrains, 3.73 gears heavy tow package with air bags in the back. I can usually get into most gas stations with ease. My Dad is looking for a 1 ton, my F150 serves its purpose for me just fine.

I have a 22 f350 7.3 3.73 gears with 53,000 miles on it. I pull a 26 ft dog trailer with a ranger on the back of it every day. At 65mph or less I avg 11.5-12. Over 70 it drops to 10-10.5. Highway and no trailer is 15-17. No issues other than the ac has an odor to it when you fisrt start the truck. If I had any complaints it needs airbags. If you truly run the numbers there are very few people who actually NEED a diesel.
    Last edited by MudCat05; 01-15-2024 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post

4.30s.

I had. 6.4 hemi with the 6sp when I lived in NM. Liked the motor/power, hated the gearing. Now have a 1 ton crew cab drw flatbed in our fleet and that 8sp made a huge difference. Being a dually, we get 13ish at best empty and hooking a trailer or putting a load on the bed drops it to 8-10. But she’ll do everything we’ve asked of it with zero problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Ford, Chevy, or Ram. Pick your flavor.

I like the 6.6 platform on GM, no DFM

The 7.3 Godzilla has impressed me as well.

I’ve personally done some injectors on a 7.3
    More fuel = more boost!!

Tell me the bad on the Ford 6.2. I’m looking used so my options are limited.