Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Video-SCDNR Cat 1 WMA MISMANAGEMENT

Coastal Cat 1 WMAs suffered several years of flooding through breeches of dikes since 2015. Each flood required money and much effort to remedy. Repairs are expensive and laborious. Other inland Cat 1 properties have flooding issues and crop failures.

For years, concerned landowners and public hunters have complained, especially in Georgetown. They have seen duck world in a death spiral resulting in ever declining harvest results on most Cat 1s. I believe the cause of the decline is a combination of valid reasons and unsubstantiated excuses.

It appeard DNR had given up on repairing and managing of Samworth while letting nature run its course. Unfortunately, lack of management resulted unmanaged habitat lost completely taken over by giant cutgrass called white marsh. That meant no food, no ducks and no lottery hunts.

Why are the private impoundments still having success? Fast repairs to a breech is critical to prevent the expansion and to preserve management the fields. Private managers immediately begin to make repairs. This preserves the ability to manage the fields and saves the next hunting season.

DNR takes too long to repair. They rely on a slow funding and procurement process instead of an urgent repair performed by existing staff and equipment. They have no emergency reserve funds and are not self-reliant enough to get it done. They have not made Cat 1s a priority. This has resulted in a snowball effect on several WMAs causing a region nearly wide collapse of DNR managed properties.

Public outcry led to legislative action. I convened a special budgetary hearing to address the problem. DNR Deputy Director Emily Coates testified they needed 29 million to address the dike problems and statewide infrastructure needs.

The legislature, Ducks Unlimited, and national grants have and continue to pour resources to DNR to fix the problems. Much progress was made with dikes but the inability to annually manage the fields led to a complete takeover of cutgrass. DNR is struggling to resume moist soil management because of years of neglect.

Underpaid technical staff are working hard and have some success. I don't believe they are the problem.

Management requires constant observation, timely implementation of plans, and leadership. Success requires a combination burning, spraying, discing, ditching, roto-tilling, and water level management. That is particularly difficult on islands that require barging of equipment and fuel. It takes time to reverse the problems created by negligence. The locals are furious at DNR. I admit, I am impatient. Staff appears to be working when I schedule a visit but I also go when unscheduled by boat and do not see consistent effort. Someone must held be accountable.

The chain of command is the Governor, who appoints the Board, Senate confirms, Board who appoints the Director, the Director, Robert Boyles hires the deputy director Emily Coates, Emily hires the statewide biologist, regional managers, and Cat 1 managers and technicians. The Legislature funds. Someone or several in this bureaucracy are not getting it done.

The legislature has exceeded funding requests. I passed a law creating extra annual funding, creation of a statewide waterfowl manager position, and an advisory committee led by former DNR waterfowl biologist, Bob Perry. He has managed Samworth and Delta West during better times. His experience along with the other volunteers on the committee generate an annual report to the legislature on Cat 1s. He contends they have not yet had enough time to reverse the habitat and acknowledges many repairs with. the dikes.

On several occasions I have urged you to get involved and express your opinions.

What is success? To me, restoring and maintaining 90% of habitat in each manageable impoundment. Ultimately, hunters will judge success by the number of birds in the bag.

Everyone must be judged by results, not just effort.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Getting ready for another flood. Santee River going to 19.8ft. Dikes will be topped.

Who is using all these alias's all of a sudden?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility View Post
    Getting ready for another flood. Santee River going to 19.8ft. Dikes will be topped.

This flooding thing is getting to be a very common occurrence down that way it seems.

Santee Cooper decided on lake levels, we are on the receiving end of it!

Broad River WMA has had constant water/flooding issues, and the mallards haven’t responded well.

River has topped the dikes multiple times this season.

Major construction (that may not be worth it) would be required to fix this.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Show me the ducks!

My name is Smith Ragsdale. I own Rosebank Plantation on the PeeDee near Plantersville.
    Now you man up.

Smith Ragsdale kills ducks… lots of ducks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like during excessive rainfall they would dump most of it down the Cooper River.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

No. They hardly dump any down the Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
    Show me the ducks!
    Come up and tour the Santee National Wildlife Refuge.

I’ll show you more puddle ducks than you would ever believe.

I understand the Santee Delta’s water problems.
    That is Santee Cooper’s fault alone. We should be following the rule curve and haven’t.
    Winter draw-downs would easily fix that……it did fix that from the 50s-90s.

However, it doesn’t explain the ACE Basin.
    Properties with history of wintering 15k don’t have 500 birds.

Where are the greenwings? Where are the gadwalls? Where are the shovelers? Where are the bluewings?

The ACE had a tough year with the summer rains and corn.
    I get that. But widgeon grass held a pile of birds for decades before.

The birds have adapted to corn up here.

Clarendon County shouldn’t be holding shovelers, widgeon, and pintails in big numbers in January.
    We have greenwings, but in January they should be like gnats on every coastal plantation.

I’m not deflecting from the fact that DNR needs a major reform on CAT1 WMAs, I’m just stating that waterfowl patterns have changed over the last 10 years.

I can’t be the only one noticing this.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

I can’t be the only one noticing this.
    You’re not

My name is Smith Ragsdale. I own Rosebank Plantation in the upper Waccamaw Neck in Georgetown county.
    Your turn to man up.

My name is Ralph, people call me big poppa pump.

Not me. I am Smith Ragsdale. I own Rosebank Plantation in upper Georgetown county. I am fighting for the public waterfowler and the waterfowl resource.

Ok Smith.

What is your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility View Post
    No. They hardly dump any down the Cooper.
    That's something that the plantation owners need to address with the politicians.
    The Cooper river could handle 40-50% of the flood water.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-14-2024 at 07:36 PM.

I was told by Santee Cooper management that they are being required by FERC laws to pump water down the Santee regardless of Lake levels. Flow management is being enforced by FERC mandated standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
    Not me. I am Smith Ragsdale. I own Rosebank Plantation in upper Georgetown county. I am fighting for the public waterfowler and the waterfowl resource.
    Damn Right you are. Keep it up!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"