Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video-SCDNR Cat 1 WMA MISMANAGEMENT

Default Video-SCDNR Cat 1 WMA MISMANAGEMENT

Please watch the attached video. The collapse of Cat 1 WMA properties is not a funding issue, it is a management issue. Private landowners produce ducks year in and year out on shoestring budgets and without biologists(diplomas).
    You can make a difference! You can force change! At the end of this video are instructions on how to e-mail the General Assembly. Instead of commenting on this presentation,take that time to let your ELECTED representatives know your dissatisfaction. If the General Assembly will not help,then we need to VOTE for change.

What is the end game here? Do you realize how much the state spends to provide you the taxpayer with duck hunting opportunities? If the general public knew these figures draw hunts would cease to exist! Guess what- maybe that is the result those behind the curtain want. As I’ve said before when is the state going to buy a fleet of sport fishing boats to take me on an offshore fishing trip? Apples to apples question!

So I’ve never hunted any state managed area before so my knowledge is extremely limited.

But my question is how does the 3 Santee wma’s have 100% reduction in harvest since 2010?

How have all 3 had exactly 0 duck harvests without them being completely closed and not allowing hunting? Or is that the case here?

I can’t imagine if the areas were being hunted at all that the harvest would equal 0. Something would have been killed.
    Last edited by quack head 11; 01-13-2024 at 09:28 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    So I’ve never hunted any state managed area before so my knowledge is extremely limited.

But my question is how does the 3 Santee wma’s have 100% reduction in harvest since 2010?

How have all 3 had exactly 0 duck harvests without them being completely closed and not allowing hunting? Or is that the case here?

I can’t imagine if the areas were being hunted at all that the harvest would equal 0. Something would have been killed.
    Not hunting

While it is relative, “shoestring” is not the adjective most average tax paying citizens would use to describe the budget needed to manage the coastal impoundments called out in that video on an annual basis successfully. It’s not likely used to describe the budgets of successful private landowners near by either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

The end game is to replace the DNR employees who have caused this disastrous collapse of Cat 1 WMAs. In the private sector they would have been replaced years ago.This starts with the Deputy Director and many of her staff. I am a private land owner. I manage 425 acres of wet soil ricefields 2 miles north of Samworth WMA. I know what it cost to manage one of these properties. With qualified managers,the cost to operate these Cat 1 WMAs would be pennies on the dollar. The state has allow unqualified staff to spend far more than it should to operate these Cat 1 WMAs and they have not harvested a duck in years. Unqualified staff is the problem.

I’m not going to watch the video but I assume that is the one Smith Ragsdale made and narrated. Since the release of that video there have been some pretty monumental steps taken at Samworth. They have been and will continue to do some very good work out there.

As to the “shoestring budget” comment. There is not a plantation that is successful in managing ducks in that area with a budget of less than a million dollars a year and I can almost guarantee that! The most successful private plantation in that area might as well not even have a budget as much money as they spend on ducks. The average Joe that looks at this situation and tries to solve the issue has absolutely no bearing on what it takes to actually manage for and have ducks. The Upper Coastal Waterfowl Project has been and will remain the outlier in Public Land Waterfowl Management. The most important thing that anyone has to remember is that comparing private land management to public land management will only result in disappointment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Where is the narrator from? He doesn't sound like a native SC person.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Not hunting
    Odd to factor that into the harvest data unless aiming to manipulate data…

Hunted Samworth the first year it was open to draw hunt. Never pulled the trigger and I was not the only one.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Odd to factor that into the harvest data unless aiming to manipulate data…
    You mean not hunting an area and reporting the harvest as zero then using that in statistics to show a decline?

By shoe string,I mean private landowner operate on a shoestring budget compared to DNR. This is only possible because private landowners have qualified managers. For the most part,DNR does not. The state should be embarrassed with amount of money spent to produce “0” ducks on many Cat 1 WMAs. They cannot do worse than “0”.

You could not be more wromg on the $1 million comment. Not one place. On the Pee Dee spennnds that annually. Or frankly anywhere close to that.

You have lost all credibility! You don’t have a clue as to what you are talking about. We spend Pennie’s on the dollar compared to DNR(government). Please before spewing misinformation,get your facts straight. For example, ever thing in Historic Ricefields YouTube presentation is truthful and factual. Numbers don’t lie.

Killed my first greenhead in Carr Creek. Waded into Samworth to retrieve it. In the 80's 90's Samworth held plenty of mallards/ducks. I don't know the solution to the problem.
    Low country redneck who moved north

SC duck hunters are a sad bunch.

That is not a factual statement and you have no facts to base it on.

A management change in SCDNR management of these properties is the solution..

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
    A management change in SCDNR management of these properties is the solution..
    You are way off base with that! Achi and his crew are doing the very best that they can with what he has! His transparency on the management of the properties is something that we have never seen. Now could some of the upper level management in Columbia use some help? Yes perhaps. But Achi is the man for the job. As a matter of fact there is a current opening on the UCWP for a Tech 2, the starting pay is $37k and that is the highest Tech 2 starting pay I have ever seen! With all of that said if this were 10 years ago I would agree with you but things have changed. I have spent the last 18 years of my life managing private lands. I have worked on several plantations in the Plantersville area and did an internship at Samworth when Jim Lee was in charge. I just recently switched over to working for an NGO. The difference between managing a private place and managing or working within a government agency or government like agency is night and day! Nothing happens with any haste and nothing happens without approvals from multiple sources. What Achi has been able to accomplish working in the environment that he is working in all while dealing with the government bs is nothing short of amazing! Thus he should be commended for his efforts and the efforts of his staff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

“0” ducks harvested is a measure of performance. “0”” being the lowest denominator..