Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saban is retiring

I told my cuz that hiring LK would be Bama's worst mistake and that I couldn't believe Saban could possibly make such an idiotic decision.
    LK grew up grew up and took notes, and I've long since eaten my words. LK is currently the king of mastering the mayhem that is modern day college football. Combine that with what he learned from Saban...he should be their next head coach. He'd be the only guy stepping in to preserve the dynasty while fully intending on mashing Saban's records.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Bama will go through a string of coaches over the next 8-10yrs with all of them being compared to Saban, then Bryant. The first one to take that job will be on a very short leash, under tremendous pressure and will fail miserable to live up to expectations. Lanning, Kiffin, Swinney, DeBoer all have job security, steady, strong programs they’ve built or are building. It wouldn’t surprise me if they all turned it down. I don’t think Bama just gets to go out and say hey, you’re our guy, pack your family and shit and come on. These guys aren’t stupid and can be pretty savvy where this stuff is concerned. Dieon may be the only one with enough ego and narcissism in him to jump immediately.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 01-10-2024 at 10:53 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Ya'll talking like this isn't a dream job that 100% of the coaches in college wouldn't sell a nut for? So, what if you aren't the next Saban. You will have a contract and with the right stipulations and wording even after 3 losing seasons you can go home filthy ass rich and laugh at all the peasants. Jimbo ring a bell? College football is a cash grab out in the open finally and anyone that thinks otherwise is a buffoon!
    Last edited by joshua2; 01-10-2024 at 11:12 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

They are going after Mike Norvell

As others stated, following Saban will be brutal. I’d say Dabo is a few names down their list. But, he’s probably on the list. Beamer is also on a list - the list of people that have 0.000% chance of being considered.

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    I’d say Dabo is a few names down their list. But, he’s probably on the list.
    yeah, I'm sure they are hot after the 7th place ACC coach whose team's record has gone backwards for 4 consecutive years.
    Maybe it was the juggernaut performance against the Coots this year that seals the Bama gig for him
    #"Climp5in's stock is rising"

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    Ya'll talking like this isn't a dream job that 100% of the coaches in college wouldn't sell a nut for? So, what if you aren't the next Saban. You will have a contract and with the right stipulations and wording even after 3 losing seasons you can go home filthy ass rich and laugh at all the peasants. Jimbo ring a bell? College football is a cash grab out in the open finally and anyone that thinks otherwise is a buffoon!
    All those guys are already filthy stinking rich. $4-$10M/yr ain’t loose change in your pocket. They’re already getting that in places they won’t be under the level of pressure the Bama job creates. Yeah, it’s a dream job but following Saban could and will be a nightmare. You’d be the guy behind the GOAT, that’s a hard row to hoe. It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out. Lanning’s the hot name but it may be someone not even on the list being thrown out.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    yeah, I'm sure they are hot after the 7th place ACC coach whose team's record has gone backwards for 4 consecutive years.
    Maybe it was the juggernaut performance against the Coots this year that seals the Bama gig for him
    #"Climp5in's stock is rising"
    Look on the bright side Rick, if he goes to Bama, Sakkerliner only has to lose to him every 3, 4, or 5 years, not every year, even with the worst FG kicker in D1.

Given the solid relationship he’s had with the athletic department you have to think Saban told his bosses weeks, if not months ago that this was his last hoorah and they have already been in contact with his replacement

Dabo, being a fella of his word and all. I’m still waiting for him to find another line of work, which is what he said would happen if players started getting paid.
    I wouldn’t blame him. Ride off into the sunset being the best shot in the dark of coaching hires probably ever. All time wins leader, 2 titles, numerous bowls. I’d be grinning from ear to ear as my replacements flounder.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I watched a Pat Mcaffee interview with Saban earlier that summed it up best. He said every year, recruits would ask when he was gonna retire? Saying they weren’t sure of a commitment if he wasn’t gonna stick around. He would always turn the table on the recruits and ask them if they would guarantee him that they would stay for 4 years and everyone of them would balk at that idea. He sees where the sport is headed and is deciding to not participate. Kudos to him.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Given the solid relationship he’s had with the athletic department you have to think Saban told his bosses weeks, if not months ago that this was his last hoorah and they have already been in contact with his replacement
    This and Saban probably was empowered to pick his own replacement

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    They are going after Mike Norvell
    I know you're bullshittin but I have seen his name a bunch and he did win 4 coach of the year awards.
    Last edited by Huntinjunkie; 01-11-2024 at 07:14 AM.

I don't think he's kidding, HJ. Norvell SHOULD be near the top of that list. Whether he goes is a whole different discussion.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Bama will go through a string of coaches over the next 8-10yrs with all of them being compared to Saban, then Bryant. The first one to take that job will be on a very short leash, under tremendous pressure and will fail miserable to live up to expectations. Lanning, Kiffin, Swinney, DeBoer all have job security, steady, strong programs they’ve built or are building. It wouldn’t surprise me if they all turned it down. I don’t think Bama just gets to go out and say hey, you’re our guy, pack your family and shit and come on. These guys aren’t stupid and can be pretty savvy where this stuff is concerned. Dieon may be the only one with enough ego and narcissism in him to jump immediately.

BINGO

Prime would dominate college football if they hired him at Bama , like it or not he would have his pick of recruits and everyone else get leftovers

Not sure if old Bama fans are ready for his flash and everything that goes with him but ONCE he starts clicking they will be ready to build another statue
    Last edited by tprice; 01-11-2024 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You don't think Kiffen has enough?
    Last edited by 3 1/2" MAGUM; 01-11-2024 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    BINGO

Prime would dominate college football if they hired him at Bama , like it or not he would have his pick of recruits and everyone else get leftovers

Not sure if old Bama fans are ready for his flash and everything that goes with him but ONCE he starts clicking they will be ready to build another statue
    I respectfully disagree. Colorado hired deon because they had nowhere to go but up Alabama can only go down. Deon can't recruit look at his class. He only signed 6 players the other 19 are transfers. He also had 11 players transfer out. Probably not the best hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    I don't think he's kidding, HJ. Norvell SHOULD be near the top of that list. Whether he goes is a whole different discussion.
    Norvell stated when he was at Memphis he wanted the Texas job. If Alabama gets sark then the Texas job is open.

I think Saban is one of the best coaches all time but i think it's shady to wait until early signing period is over and the portal has closed. The players that signed a loi are screwed the rest of the team has 30 days to transfer if they choose to

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    Norvell stated when he was at Memphis he wanted the Texas job. If Alabama gets sark then the Texas job is open.
    in todays world of money money money, the Texas job may be better long term. Texas is full of money and recruits.

nobody will want to follow Saban. You want to follow the guy that follows Saban.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud