Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broad river Draw Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    The only thing DNR knows how to do is restrict hunters thru decreased bag limits and opportunities, oh and pester the fuck out of anyone in a boat for "safety" reasons. Safety with a capital $.
    Unfortunately, this is so true.

Good luck with your hunt.

Cold wet morning around here

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If a draw hunt property isn't holding birds, SCDNR should move the hunters to another property with the highest chances of a successful hunt.
    Waiting 4 years to hunt is unacceptable, but it's unfathomable to make somebody wait 4 years, then knowingly place them in a duckless field.

Unreal.
    i waited 4 years, got drawn, then got cancelled and told apply again next year.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    i waited 4 years, got drawn, then got cancelled and told apply again next year.
    Same story this year for me.

Sounded like it was a pretty good shoot from the river. Curious to know how yall did.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingmallard View Post
    Sounded like it was a pretty good shoot from the river. Curious to know how yall did.
    I believe the first hunt was 171 shots fired 9 hunters 29 ducks killed.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Here is my conflict.

I am torn between two bad options.

1. Keep pushing and funding a declining migration, expensive repairs to dikes from more common natural disasters, and in some cases poor management. In most cases the hunting expectation is not being met.

2. Stop the waste of taxpayer funding for the benefit of an extremely small portion of taxpayers who get drawn and let nature run its course.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Here is my conflict.

1. Keep pushing and funding a declining migration, expensive repairs to dikes from more common natural disasters, and in some cases poor management. In most cases the hunting expectation is not being met.

2. Stop the waste of taxpayer funding for the benefit of an extremely small portion of taxpayers who get drawn and let nature run its course.
    They should have listened to Bob years ago when he told them what they were doing wasn’t going to work.

Here is my conflict.

I don't hunt waterfowl in South Carolina any more, and haven't in a while now, but I did grow up hunting there. That said to show I don't have my finger on the pulse anymore aside from what I read on SCDUCKS.

What I gather on here are the hunts aren't worth the wait anymore, the properties cost a significant portion in upkeep, bird numbers continue to decline, and the managers aren't doing that good of a job anyways. Would any of these options work? 1) do minimal planting, open it up for the full 60 day season to the public, no lottery/draw/limited entry. 2) daily lottery like Missouri. Show up at 4am, if you draw you get a blind, if you don't you haul tail to public land. 3) Open it 1-3 days a week for the public to hunt, no lottery/draw.

The argument I see is that everyone and their brother is going to be there to hunt ... But wouldn't that pull some pressure off of the adjacent public lands that people are hunting daily anyways?

I could care less which way it goes, but it seems like the system is currently broken.

Dt just blamed global warming for a govt program that fails because it's people are failing.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I don't hunt waterfowl in South Carolina any more, and haven't in a while now, but I did grow up hunting there. That said to show I don't have my finger on the pulse anymore aside from what I read on SCDUCKS.

What I gather on here are the hunts aren't worth the wait anymore, the properties cost a significant portion in upkeep, bird numbers continue to decline, and the managers aren't doing that good of a job anyways. Would any of these options work? 1) do minimal planting, open it up for the full 60 day season to the public, no lottery/draw/limited entry. 2) daily lottery like Missouri. Show up at 4am, if you draw you get a blind, if you don't you haul tail to public land. 3) Open it 1-3 days a week for the public to hunt, no lottery/draw.

The argument I see is that everyone and their brother is going to be there to hunt ... But wouldn't that pull some pressure off of the adjacent public lands that people are hunting daily anyways?

I could care less which way it goes, but it seems like the system is currently broken.
    That’s how they run it down south where I hunt. Works just fine

Here is my conflict.

Here is my conflict.

We have neighboring states that have successful wildlife management agencies, great public deer, turkey and duck hunting yet those of you in charge of our failing system pridefully refuse to ask those states for help or to even mimic their processes all because of stubbornness or you just flat out do not care. I can’t figure out which.

Regardless of the why, you’re neither serving the hunter nor the resource and it is infuriating.

To be run right politicians would have to be removed from the equation. Politicians will never let that happen. What you see is what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Here is my conflict.

We have neighboring states that have successful wildlife management agencies, great public deer, turkey and duck hunting yet those of you in charge of our failing system pridefully refuse to ask those states for help or to even mimic their processes all because of stubbornness or you just flat out do not care. I can’t figure out which.

Regardless of the why, you’re neither serving the hunter nor the resource and it is infuriating.
    They got to be last at everything to maintain consistency
    Windows Down!

When Harkins left and they stopped planting corn everywhere the place went to shit. There’s only one crew doing it right in the whole state and it’s managed by a German dude who knows what he’s doing. I wish he had the time and resources to manage every state property.

There’s 1000s of acres that could be managed for waterfowl in the Francis Marion, but the price of timber is more important.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    One of them deals where we were there and he came later and we decided to just hunt together so we didn’t mess each other up. He had a fella with him that hasn’t duck hunted long and he posted a picture online and I told him not to to post it. And his argument was you can’t tell where it is and you couldn’t imo. It was a horrible picture on the ground. And honestly the crew of kids that you are explaining all knew about them ducks before it had gotten shot during the first opener. Those kids playing music and all that crap have been there doing that since opening day first season. Did his picture have anything to do with it sure but it didn’t cause what you seen on the river that was already happening. When they left at 9 though the hunting shore did get better. Definitely one to remember!
    They spilled the beans biggly. Said yall killed 10 more after they left. Trust no one.
    To think it all would have never happened if water had been pumped on time.....
    Last edited by BRR; 01-06-2024 at 03:56 PM.

Here is my conflict.

You get what you get, and don’t pitch a fit
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    You get what you get, and don’t pitch a fit
    Learned my lesson. I’ll just be over here fiddlin’.

Here is my conflict.

Hopefully ductape will read this