Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag

Default 7mm Rem Mag

Any gun guru recommendations for minimum barrel length to maintain ballistic capabilities? I want to suppress one of my 7mags and don’t want to go too short. thanks for any feedback!

Im in the same boat. I've landed on 22"

Mine is 22".

Dang 22 plus an additional 7” for the suppressor, maybe I need to reconsider- gonna be a long ass gun.

Cut it to 18” and go kill stuff

I wouldn't want that recoil just to be shooting a 7mm-08.
    https://rifleshooter.com/2015/04/7mm...rsus-velocity/

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    I wouldn't want that recoil just to be shooting a 7mm-08.
    https://rifleshooter.com/2015/04/7mm...rsus-velocity/
    Thanks/ good info!

May just skip the suppressor and keep rolling as-is.

Next question what would best compact rifle/caliber that would be good for a suppressor and not be like carrying a boat paddle? Is there a solid deer gun that can be cut to 16”?

Mine is a 7mm-08.

Buy a bergara ridgeline (or any other model) special purpose with a 16" barrel. It's threaded from the factory. The stock isn't great but its a great action and barrel.

I’ve got a ruger American ranch that is pretty solid. Pretty sure they have several caliber options and factory threaded barrels.

Just for reference, I've got a lightweight rifle with 16" .308 barrel with suppressor that gives me 2550 fps with 165 grain cartridges.

With the can and a very big scope, it's a full length rifle that's as heavy as I would tolerate for hunting. I've also got a similarly appointed 16" AR10 that rarely gets hunted due to the weight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cutting a suppressing a 7mmRM gains you nothing. You still have a long barrel and a loud gun. Want to reduce the felt report, buy some good plugs.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm RM that I run suppressed. Without the Savage brake it turns out to be about 24" - I am running a Thunder Beast Ultra 7 on top of that. Yes, it's long, but I use it in places where that doesn't really play a factor. It is pleasant to shoot.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Cutting a suppressing a 7mmRM gains you nothing. You still have a long barrel and a loud gun. Want to reduce the felt report, buy some good plugs.
    About perfectly sums up where I’m at!

People have different expectations on what a suppressor should/will do. Just know that a high velocity rifle bullet will still crack the sound barrier with a suppressor, will be slightly easier at the muzzle on your ears. I’m going to leave the recommendations for others to give. I will eventually thread my .243 but for now I am enjoying my ruger ranch 300blk in the pic.

I'm in the middle of a ground-up "revamp" of an old Tikka 7mm Mag.

I just went through the same question, in regards to length. I came to the conclusion that 22" was the shortest I'd want to go. However, 24" is better & in reality, what's 2"? So, I left it at 24" and got it threaded.

If I "need" short (for any odd reason), I'll pick up a different rifle/platform.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    People have different expectations on what a suppressor should/will do. Just know that a high velocity rifle bullet will still crack the sound barrier with a suppressor, will be slightly easier at the muzzle on your ears. I’m going to leave the recommendations for others to give. I will eventually thread my .243 but for now I am enjoying my ruger ranch 300blk in the pic.

I have the same gun with harvester evo and it’s easy on the ears with supersonic and sound like a red ryder with subs and is a tack driver, one big hole at 80 yds
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    Buy a bergara ridgeline (or any other model) special purpose with a 16" barrel. It's threaded from the factory. The stock isn't great but its a great action and barrel.
    They’re 18”

Or you could go to the tampon aisle and pick up a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Can a 7mm08 be cut to 16”?