Why 10ft?

Cause 9’ ain’t tall enough

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Why 10ft?
    Keeps bottom of barrel above head height. Seems to disperse corn wider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top rail for chain link fence will work perfectly

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

We use two trees and a snatch block to get the feeder up over 10' and use a side by side to lower it down to fill it then raise it back up when full. Keeps squirrels out of it and coons from destroying it.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    We use two trees and a snatch block to get the feeder up over 10' and use a side by side to lower it down to fill it then raise it back up when full. Keeps squirrels out of it and coons from destroying it.
    What size cable between the trees?

I think 1/2".

I'll see if I can get a photo next time I'm up there.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

You're going to get very tired of climbing that ladder with sacks of corn to fill it if you don't fall and hurt yourself first.

I've had hanging feeders too and they can be a recipe for injury. If you go with hanging, be damn careful under it or around the winch if you don't pull it up with an atv. A hand winch will break bones or knock your teeth out if you let the handle slip and a few hundred pounds falling from a tree if a rope pops could be deadly. Metal cable is safer than rope. Squirrels will chew rope.

I've gone to ground level directional feeders. I don't have a pig problem but if I did, I'd still use them but run a fence around them. I can fill them while standing on the ground. They throw corn about 20 feet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You're going to get very tired of climbing that ladder with sacks of corn to fill it if you don't fall and hurt yourself first.

I've had hanging feeders too and they can be a recipe for injury. If you go with hanging, be damn careful under it or around the winch if you don't pull it up with an atv. A hand winch will break bones or knock your teeth out if you let the handle slip and a few hundred pounds falling from a tree if a rope pops could be deadly. Metal cable is safer than rope. Squirrels will chew rope.

I've gone to ground level directional feeders. I don't have a pig problem but if I did, I'd still use them but run a fence around them. I can fill them while standing on the ground. They throw corn about 20 feet.

Good info thanks

We have hogs and bears so a ground feeder would not last long.

My buddy puts a boat winch on one tree and a cable with a pulley on the next tree, about 15 ft a part. Up in the air it's between the two trees but he lowers it to the ground to fill it.

It's a set up that you don't want to move very often.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

From my experience the taller the feeder the less skittish the deer seem and more deer use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

Which feeders do you use ?

I build my own. Legs are 8ft. Pic is from tonight.IMG_20231230_230650.jpg
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    From my experience the taller the feeder the less skittish the deer seem and more deer use them.
    I’ve noticed the same
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I would love to order a couple of the Texas Hunter feeders but the shipping is a killer.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

We have mainly tripods, but a few we still winch in the air. I cannot agree about the higher the better, I use to believe that way, not anymore.
    I think they are just as skittish if not more of one hanging 30ft above their head. Doe are constantly looking up at them. If you don't have bear, I'd go tripod all day long. Rarely have a hog even bump the pole out a lil.
    Either way works, tripods are easier.0b6dc5f0-2373-4cba-a0a2-2af02d15c14d.jpg070f11dc-2b22-4679-90aa-9d579b7baf63.jpgb888fc6c-b3e6-4cb0-b453-40c913f82a64.jpg The feeder is hanging 30 ft in the air.749d85dd-54d9-4974-9449-f633c89bbdb0.jpg
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    I would love to order a couple of the Texas Hunter feeders but the shipping is a killer.
    $300 ain't bad coming out of TX. If you're considering one of the hideaways just think about like this... Considering they are "on sale", now instead of getting the discount you're paying full price with free shipping. Would it make you feel any better if they built shipping into the cost of the feeder? It's all the same either way you slice it.