Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell Service Providers.

Quote Originally Posted by scbulldog View Post
    So from what I read here, it looks like they are not censuring private conversations. Am I correct? Is there something else?

I think they are under pressure from the FCC to slow down potential spam and fraudulent messages

"Smartphone users, rejoice: The days of spam calls and junk text messages may finally be coming to an end.

A proposed Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandate, issued in March, outlined plans to crack down on automated robocalls and spam text messages because of concerns about data privacy and security.

Text messages are one of our most popular forms of communication, quickly connecting people to one another, whether in the case of friends and family, businesses and customers, or governments and their constituents. But, with that popularity comes risk. Unsolicited text messages, which can be illegal, present similar problems as unwanted calls—they invade consumer privacy and serve as a vehicle for fraud, identity theft, and other scams.

Just how bad has this matter become? Americans received more than 225 billion spam text messages in 2022—roughly 675 per person—and more than 2.5 times as many as in 2021, according to a study by Robokiller. Consumer losses from fraudulent text messages totaled $231 million throughout the first three quarters of 2022, up from $86 million in 2020, the FCC said.

According to the FCC, the new report and order, if adopted, would apply to U.S.-based mobile operators and partners who deliver application-to-person (A2P) and person-to-application (P2A) text messages to end subscribers. It would require mobile operators to block text messages from suspicious sources, including phone numbers that appear to be “invalid, unallocated, or unused.”

In addition, the mandate would ensure that subscribers can report any erroneous text messages to their mobile network operator so the number can be blocked. Mobile operators can also block text messages coming from phone numbers that are not used to send text messages."

The providers selling lines using Verizon's towers are referred to in the industry as VARs or "value added resellers." Verizon customers get first dibs on data while VARs get sloppy seconds. So in areas outside of densely populated cities, like Charlotte for instance, there's enough to go around and most VARs subscribers don't have many issues. But if there is a data crunch the VARs will take the hit on speeds as Verizon will prioritize premium service for their customers over VARs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-28-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    I was VZ for 25 years. Switched to Spectrum Mobile for $29 a month UNLIMITED.

I can promise you I go places many of you would never get service. They (Spectrum) use VZ towers and I have been TOTALLY SATISFIED for the last 3 years. They also have a $14 a month with 1 or 2GB data... I was using more than that so switched to UNL
    I am going to check them out.
    I have Verizon at about $70/month +tax and my wife is with T-Mobile and is around $90 plus tax
    We both have iPhones, would we have to buy new phones if we switch providers?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I am going to check them out.
    I have Verizon at about $70/month +tax and my wife is with T-Mobile and is around $90 plus tax
    We both have iPhones, would we have to buy new phones if we switch providers?
    I work for Spectrum and you can just walk in with your own phones and put a new ESIM on them. Their unlimited plan is every competitive and service is great.

I would have gone back in a minute if there had been any difference.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Some phones you can take to spectrum and some you cannot. They bought ours and we got new ones. They were very fair in buying ours back and selling us new ones.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I don't have a link but with a quick Google search one can find the page on spectrums website where you can check to see if your phone is compatible. You'll need the IMEI #. You can find it in the settings on an Android under the "about phone". For you iTards, can't help ya... cause I don't iTard.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-02-2024 at 08:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft