Thread: .357 & wood goats

Default .357 & wood goats

Who here has real life testimony to what happens when these two meet? Looking at a new 1894 and can’t decide b/t a .357 or a .44. I’ve got a SBH and a CVA in .44 so I’m kind of leaning to the .357. But, a .44 lever gun sure is sexy. I can’t imagine a .357 wouldn’t handle deer inside 100 yards fairly easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Those new marlins are sexy

I’m taking a break from buying guns right now but my next one will be the Marlin .44

ETA: No Homo
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-25-2023 at 07:49 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    They are. I’ve been set on a .44 since they announced them, but then I fondled the .357 a week or two ago.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Killed a couple with a S&W 66 that walked under or close to a stand years ago. Close shots though, easier to measure in feet. They didn’t like it too much.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’ve killed a few with a 6” king cobra. So I’d think an 18 or 20” barrel on a lever gun would be quite effective

I’ve got a Henry .357 and its a fine deer gun out to 100 yds. You can certainly go further than that but less likely to get a pass thru and blood trailing might be an issue. I shoot the 180 grain buffalo bore ammo. It kills deer plenty dead. I mostly got it because I liked the idea of having multiple guns that shoot the same ammo, but I quickly became my favorite rifle for woods deer hunting.
    Last edited by scquackaddict; 12-23-2023 at 12:40 PM.
    More Ducks, Less People

More Ducks, Less People

.357, .44 or 30-30 - they all work well if you can hit with them.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I have killed many with a 44 mag rifle and I have a friend that has killed truckloads with a 357. The added length barrel in a rifle gives it much more of a velocity. If you put the bullet in the vitals you will have venison in the freezer. 100 yd and in is not a question.

The 357 is so light. Recoiling it is great for kids and women. I even love the light recoil. I have a 357 Henry. I just haven't taken it deer hunting yet. But I've seen tons and tons of deer killed by a 357
    Last edited by ScLowCountry; 12-23-2023 at 03:07 PM.

Shot deer with both. I’d personally rather have the 44 loaded with Swift A Frames.

a lever 30-30 has killed more deer than any gun in history

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    I’ve got a Henry .357 and its a fine deer gun out to 100 yds. You can certainly go further than that but less likely to get a pass thru and blood trailing might be an issue. I shoot the 180 grain buffalo bore ammo. It kills deer plenty dead. I mostly got it because I liked the idea of having multiple guns that shoot the same ammo, but I quickly became my favorite rifle for woods deer hunting.
    Are you shooting the 180gr cast or XTP bullets?

I’ve got a Henry 44 mag if you’d like to shoot it. Won it in a DU raffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post

I’m taking a break from buying guns right now but my next one will be the Marlin .44
    You should err on the side of saying "no homo" after a statement like that

.44 mag is bad medicine for deer and hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    You should err on the side of saying "no homo" after a statement like that
    Went back and fixed it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I shot a deer with a s&w .357 pistol when i was about 22. It had a 6 in barrel. I practiced with it until I could shoot well with a rest at 50 yds.
    The doe ran just a few yds after I shot it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    .44 mag is bad medicine for deer and hogs.
    This. It will flatten them.