Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCHSL Realignment

Default SCHSL Realignment

Im surprised the SCHSL's continued ability to F up High School Football in this state doesn't get more talk.

Information is starting to come out about the bi annual realignment of High School Sports. This article from the State has a little info.

The SC High School League’s realignment for the 2024-26 school year is starting to take shape.

The State has obtained the parameters the SCHSL sent to member schools on Wednesday. The parameters were set by the league and members of the reclassification/realignment committee, which has met four times since Oct. 18.

Some of the highlights of the parameters are:

▪ Class 5A will have at least 52 schools but no more than 60. Class 5A also will be split by enrollment for all sports leading to two state championships because of the large number of schools coupled with the disparity of enrollment sizes within the classification.

▪ Class 4A will have at least 38 schools but no more than 46

▪ Class 3A will have at least 38 schools and no more than 46.

▪ Class 2A will have at least 36 schools and no more than 44.

▪ Class A will have at least 42 schools and no more than 50.

▪ Geography and travel will be considered.

▪ Regions will be comprised of six or eight teams unless an odd number prohibits the same. But it shall be as close to six or eight schools as possible.

Realignment happens in the state every two years and is done to level the competitive playing field among schools. This year’s realignment is based on 45-day enrollment numbers from grades 9-11.

The new parameters are different from when it was done for the 2022-24 school year. In that realignment, there were 36 schools in 5A, 41 in 4A, 43 in 3A, 44 in 2A and 55 in Class A.

This year’s realignment also will include a multiplier for the first time. The out-of-zone multiplier takes each student who lives outside of a school’s assigned attendance zone and counts them as three for total enrollment purposes. Such a move is expected to inflate a school’s official enrollment figure and — in some cases — raise that school up a level or two in classification for athletics.

This was done to level the competitive balance statewide.

Schools have until Thursday to confirm their 45-day enrollment figures. A first draft of the realignment is expected to be sent to schools no later than Dec. 19. Schools will have a chance to appeal its placement after that.

I dont know much about other classes but I have seen this proposal for 5A. I see in this that the multiplier has pushed Greenville HS to 5A. Also, Westside, Riverside, Wade Hampton, Easley and Boiling Springs have moved up in the Upstate. I'm not familiar with lower state schools who may have moved up. It will be interesting to see how the multiplier affects the 1-4A classifications.

schsl 5A.jpg
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Someone sent me that this am , not sure it is accurate but I agree could be a mess

Simplest thing is let private schools have their own league

I do know some of the AD’s have asked for more region teams to make scheduling easier

Huge disparity in enrollment numbers in 5A schools in SC plus trying to keep teams regional instead of long travels

Kind of curious to see how it all transforms before it is over and like anything in SCHSL just give it 2 yrs and it will change again

I know the 135 day numbers are what they are waiting on

Not sure how accurate this is , I know for a fact TL Hanna has hit 2000 students this year

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/s...-carolina/high
    Last edited by tprice; 12-15-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Private and charter schools need their own leagues. It is almost impossible for small, rural schools with a very limited population in their attendance area to compete with schools pulling athletes from much larger, more populated areas. There will always be exceptions here and there, but look at state champs in all sports for 1A and 2A and see how many have been won by charter and private schools over the past few years.

I agree that private schools need their "own" league, but beyond that what has changed? They realign every two years based on school enrollment which prevents those with higher enrollment numbers from competing in lower classes. I admit I don't keep up with this like some, but I understand the process.

I'm not a fan of splitting 5A into two regional state champs. There were 60 1A schools this year and there was 1 state champ. Why are rules different for 5A?

With the way things shook out this year, Region 5, Dutch Fork and White Knoll were sent to separate playoff brackets to meet again in state championship. Will that continue? They would have each been 5A state champs under this proposal.

Create a 6A and move on. Not a huge fan of BIG 16 but its better that split champs.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    I'm not a fan of splitting 5A into two regional state champs. There were 60 1A schools this year and there was 1 state champ. Why are rules different for 5A?

With the way things shook out this year, Region 5, Dutch Fork and White Knoll were sent to separate playoff brackets to meet again in state championship. Will that continue? They would have each been 5A state champs under this proposal.

Create a 6A and move on. Not a huge fan of BIG 16 but its better that split champs.

Hell I recall when Big 16 existed once you got in playoffs as a non home team your ass went all way to coast to play and teams down there came all the way up here to play

Also back then your pre region games affected your playoff standing as well where is now it does not . Biggest problem I saw with BIG 16 was those teams all went into playoffs regardless of record Not sure why just not take 16 largest teams that make playoffs and do it that way

If I understood what WHS AD told me they would have final plan out Tuesday 12/19

I just DO NOT WANT TO SEE the SC Politicians get involved , there is a few of them asking to disband SCHSL and let them take over. Damn that would be a CLUSTER F
    Last edited by tprice; 12-15-2023 at 08:56 PM.

i have my own issues with the ineptitude of schsl so my confidence that they will accidentally do anything right is pretty low.

There is already politics involved, just under cover for the time being.

i have my own issues with the ineptitude of schsl so my confidence that they will accidentally do anything right is pretty low.

There is already politics involved, just under cover for the time being.

Can not disagree with you at all just hate to see it completely operated by our SC State Government, They can f up a cup of black coffee

New classes are out, Conferences will not be set until first of the year

Have to admit I get a little confused by their enrollment numbers.

I know for a fact TL Hanna has over 1900 (they are showing 1600+) and Westside over 1700 (showing less than 1400 )

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpgIMG_0115.jpgIMG_0116.jpg
    Last edited by tprice; 12-19-2023 at 07:17 PM.

They only count grades 9,10, and 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
    They only count grades 9,10, and 11.
    That would explain it, for some reason thought that was the way it worked

notable moves.

Christ Church 1A to 4A
    Southside Christian 1A to 3A
    ST Joe's 1A to 3A
    Grey Collegiate goes from 2A to 4A
    Oceanside Collegiate 2A to 3A
    Greenville HS 4A to 5A

I'm glad the upstate private schools are having to move up. They already get to recruit. Might as well make it a little more challenging for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I'm glad the upstate private schools are having to move up. They already get to recruit. Might as well make it a little more challenging for them.
    Private schools? you ain't been around. Charter schools, magnet schools, any school with an empty seat recruits. Specialty Charter schools like Grey and Oceanside as well. I understand there is one starting in Spartanburg Mountain View Collegiate or something like that. At least now they are counted 3 times. It wont matter to 5A as there is no where to move up.

Did you not hear during the Championship game the kids on South Florence that "transferred?"

Summerville used to do it in the 80's, everyone else has just caught up.

Things got lax with school choice, now we will go back to the olden days of fake addresses.
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 12-19-2023 at 08:10 PM.

but stars man......do he even have stars?

Hes a great player. saw him first hand. Good luck to him.
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 12-19-2023 at 08:20 PM.

Private schools? you ain't been around. Charter schools, magnet schools, any school with an empty seat recruits. Specialty Charter schools like Grey and Oceanside as well. I understand there is one starting in Spartanburg Mountain View Collegiate or something like that. At least now they are counted 3 times. It wont matter to 5A as there is no where to move up.

Did you not hear during the Championship game the kids on South Florence that "transferred?"

Summerville used to do it in the 80's, everyone else has just caught up.

Things got lax with school choice, now we will go back to the olden days of fake addresses.
    Oh I've been around and maybe my statement was too narrowly focused. I agree with your statement whole heartedly.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 12-19-2023 at 08:28 PM.

Maybe I am not a smart man but simplest way for private/charter schools to work is have their own division , if I am correct this is the way it is done in GA

Do not care whether is is 1A or 5A recruited players are recruited players and when any team is loaded with them they should play teams that play by same rules

Not a hard fix to me to figure that one out

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Maybe I am not a smart man but simplest way for private/charter schools to work is have their own division , if I am correct this is the way it is done in GA

Do not care whether is is 1A or 5A recruited players are recruited players and when any team is loaded with them they should play teams that play by same rules

Not a hard fix to me to figure that one out

yep. We were standing on the field during warmups at Sirrine stadium and i turned to another assistant and said, "I wonder what it would look like if all their players warmed up in compression shirts from the school they were zoned for."

yep. We were standing on the field during warmups at Sirrine stadium and i turned to another assistant and said, "I wonder what it would look like if all their players warmed up in compression shirts from the school they were zoned for."
    Probably look like one of the College All Star games with all the different logo/colors of helmets LOL