Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat emergency kits

Take two 20dollar bills and go to Harbor freight. Buy a waterproof box, some basic tools, socket set, channel locks, needle nose, 8in1 screwdriver, electrical tape, lighter. And weedeater string for unclogging a stuck water line. And zip ties.

My little harbor freight kit has save me many a time. Opened it up yesterday actually.

BD913B09-2F2A-4B92-A0EC-B64045B33158.jpg

Don’t buy camo life jackets. You can hide them with burlap or something you wanna be as visible as possible if you end up going over board.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by cheeto View Post
    No joke, first solo trip I thought he would be some what cautious and stay close by. Ended up running out of daylight, oil and went halfway down the coast.
    If that’s the case I’d start with a six pack of do t be a dumbass so he’ll understand expectations. We’ve all run wild but not planning and being stupid will cause more trouble than mishaps. Definitely get the tourniquet mentioned a coup,e of times. Make sure he knows how to start a fire and has starter to do it with. Other tools mentioned and electrical tape. Not mentioned here that I see but I always keep a dry bag with dry pants and shirt. You fall in and can’t get dry when it’s cold and problems start fast.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Buckets. Bigguns and little ones.
    A couple of Bic lighters.
    Every boat should have a few.
    A bucket is underappreciated. A 5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid will keep stuff dry, it can be used as a seat, it can help you get across pluff mud, it can bail the boat, catch rain water, keep bait, and be the thing that keeps you afloat after a capsize. It also makes a good toilet if you don't want to risk hanging over the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    If that’s the case I’d start with a six pack of do t be a dumbass so he’ll understand expectations. We’ve all run wild but not planning and being stupid will cause more trouble than mishaps. Definitely get the tourniquet mentioned a coup,e of times. Make sure he knows how to start a fire and has starter to do it with. Other tools mentioned and electrical tape. Not mentioned here that I see but I always keep a dry bag with dry pants and shirt. You fall in and can’t get dry when it’s cold and problems start fast.
    This is a good life lesson in general and can be more difficult than many imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A bucket is underappreciated. A 5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid will keep stuff dry, it can be used as a seat, it can help you get across pluff mud, it can bail the boat, catch rain water, keep bait, and be the thing that keeps you afloat after a capsize. It also makes a good toilet if you don't want to risk hanging over the side.
    I like buckets

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...hlight=buckets

This is important. The pull cord on my next to new 20hp Yamaha 4 stroke somehow rewound outside of the channel that its supposed to stay in. I didn't know exactly what was wrong, just that about a foot of the cord dangled down from the front of the motor. It wouldn't budge. No problem. I had the spare cord that came with the motor, and plenty of tools. Unfortunatly, what I didn't have was the deep socket required to pull the nuts that hold the guard on the top that covers the flywheel. No way to access the rope without a deep socket or screwdriver style wrench. Rowed that bitch for over an hour (thank the Lord for two oars) before we got offered a tow. Be sure you have the requisite deep socket or screwdriver.
    Last edited by GMAC; 12-30-2023 at 08:20 PM.

And that's another point. You can row a boat to China with 2 oars. A paddle is worthless for covering any distance.