Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat emergency kits

Default Boat emergency kits

Any good recommendations on emergency kits or must haves for a boat in emergency situations. Mainly for a teenager who thinks he knows everything. i have seen a good many online but most are filled with band aids and junk.

A very strict policy on wearing the kill switch lanyard.

I think a cell phone and first aid kit for keeping the engine running might be more of a life saver than band-aids and gauze.

Comfortable, unobtrusive inflatable life vests that might actually get worn would be nice.

Manual Bilge Pump
    EPIRB
    First Aid kit
    Float Plan
    Kill Switch Lanyard
    Jump starter
    Back up Battery VHF

Depending on the boat and what its used for is a big factor here. Where you use the boat another big factor. What kind of emergency situation? Are you stranded in the ocean, or did your arm/leg get cut by a propeller? Those are both emergencies but require different equipment.

With zero details, I'd say get a tourniquet, quick clot, and a PLB. If you have a bigger boat, you can add more first aid things, but really, if things get bad, you just need to not bleed out and call for rescue.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Number one is wear a life vest and kill switch lanyard. I’ve seen a few inflatables that didn’t go off so I opt for a regular vest.

First aid kit
    Battery jump pack
    Spare bilge pump and hose with gator clamps. I might add a manual pump.
    Spare prop and prop wrench
    Phone charger
    Lighter and fire starter

We just got him a camo life jacket that fits better than some others in the boat and have been on to him about the kill switch everytime he goes out.

Got plenty of plastic ammo cans and will probably fill one with about everything I can think of. Ponchos, heat blankets, lighters, flashlights…

Put him a little tool kit together but the spare propeller and bilge pumps a good idea.

We do a float plan. Where he puts in is good but the problem is where he ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Number one is wear a life vest and kill switch lanyard. I’ve seen a few inflatables that didn’t go off so I opt for a regular vest.

First aid kit
    Battery jump pack
    Spare bilge pump and hose with gator clamps. I might add a manual pump.
    Spare prop and prop wrench
    Phone charger
    Lighter and fire starter
    Toss in a back up box of lil debbies and your kit is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Always some little debbies, packs of nabs or beanie weenies in the boat. I'm not going hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I like this add in a trailer hub with bearings (pregreased), nut, washer, cotterpin, and cover.

Is he’s carrying a spare prop, have one with a hub pressed in, or a spare hub he can put in himself. I’ve spun many a hub on the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Hair dye to cover your gray hairs. Some good advice here. In same situation and you just have to pray they’ve been paying attention all these years. I also never miss an opportunity to show kids all the things that can go wrong. Dark nites on cold water is loaded with risk. Mitigate them best you can.

Potted meat

I once ate a very expired can of potted meat in the Bayou Meto while waiting on my lost brother.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Super glue & duct tape.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Bare bones:

Tourniquet and knowing how to use it.

Repair kit and knowing how to use it.

Space blanket(s).

Marine Radio.

I've never had a first aid kit that didnt get soggy and worthless over time in a boat. Focus on mitigating trauma and getting back to the hill. If you cant get back to the hill, make sure there's a way to stay warm.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Buy a nice dry box; Harbor Freight sells Pelican copies that are nice. The USCG states that a cellphone is the most valuable piece of safety equipment to have on a boat. However, I feel sure that that will be covered by a teenager by default. I buy a couple of dozen Leatherman tools every couple of years when they go on sale. That will cover 85% of repairs. A tampon is great for an open wound; almost everything else can be improved long enough to get home.

The only other thing I will add is that if you are taking a novice boater(s) with you, train them as if they are your only hope of getting home...because they just might be. I do it when I go in the woods or offshore. They will appreciate it and not even know that you are selfishly buying an insurance policy. MG

PS. I will add that even at my advanced age, I never operate an open hunting boat without a killswitch and a lifejacket on in cold weather or after dark. I use auto-inflate for hunting because they fit easily over my jackets, waders, etc.
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 12-18-2023 at 03:13 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Buy him a float coat. I'd rather leave my shotgun at home than go duck hunting in cold weather without one.

BoatUS...PLB/EPIRB...I always wear the kill switch when motor is running faster than idle (ie, unless I'm picking up decoys) and always wear a life jacket when I'm in water deeper than the foot of the motor...always...without exception.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkDave View Post
    Hair dye to cover your gray hairs. Some good advice here. In same situation and you just have to pray they’ve been paying attention all these years. I also never miss an opportunity to show kids all the things that can go wrong. Dark nites on cold water is loaded with risk. Mitigate them best you can.
    No joke, first solo trip I thought he would be some what cautious and stay close by. Ended up running out of daylight, oil and went halfway down the coast.

Buckets. Bigguns and little ones.
    A couple of Bic lighters.
    Every boat should have a few.