Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic Silvertips

Default Ballistic Silvertips

My 10 year old shoots 140grain Winchester Ballstic Silvertips out of a 7mm-08. I'm down to 3 bullets, and apparently those bullets are hard as hell to find.

Any recommendations on a good round to replace them with? Even better if someone knows where to find a few boxes of what he currently shoots since that round has done well.

139 grain SST hornady if you can find them
    every expert was once a beginner

Hornady American Whitetail Interlocks. They're a boring bullet that does its job really well.

Those, or some 140gr Nosler BT.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Not to hijack thread but anybody have a lead on 6MM Rem, Nosler partition? 100g I think.?

Also, if I do switch bullets, ease of finding it is high on the list as well. I already have to look too hard for my favorite round in my primary rifle, would prefer not to have to do it in multiple rounds.

I'm down to my last box of ballistic silvertips in 30-06. They are some killing bullets.

more or less same bullet. Nosler Ballistic tip

https://www.bluecollarreloading.com/...40280905973858
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Seconds for Hornady american whitetail.

$ 28.00 per box and readily available
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Midway USA has a bunch of different loads in stock.

Don't look down your nose at the plain jane Remington CoreLokt 140s. One of my friends kills everything he shoots with that load. Moose, Bear, Deer, sheep have all been whacked. Cheap enough that he can afford to practice.

It's in stock. So are various Barnes and Nosler loadings.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My favorite is the silvertip...

When I can't find them we shoot the Winchester Deer Season.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    more or less same bullet. Nosler Ballistic tip

https://www.bluecollarreloading.com/...40280905973858
    Thanks.

What's the deal with the silvertips? Are they just hard to find or did they stop producing them?

The ballistic silver tip is the same as a CT NBT. The same weight NBT will perform well.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Midway USA has a bunch of different loads in stock.

Don't look down your nose at the plain jane Remington CoreLokt 140s. One of my friends kills everything he shoots with that load. Moose, Bear, Deer, sheep have all been whacked. Cheap enough that he can afford to practice.

It's in stock. So are various Barnes and Nosler loadings.
    This too...my rifle just prefers the factory Interlocks to the Corelokts.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

My dad switched to the Barnes Vor-TEX in the same caliber for two years now. Ive helped him pick up several deer and the performance has been great. You dont get any jacket separation when the bullet is solid copper. Theyve done great and wouldnt hesitate to shoot them in many other calibers based on what Ive seen.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001615320?pid=441526

The ballistic silver tip is the exact same bullet as the nosler ballistic tips with just a different coating. It is the same bullet as the combined technology ballistic tip which you can buy the reload. They shoot exactly the same. I use them interchangeably in my 243. I hand load both of them and they have the same point of impact. They're the exact same bullet with just a different coating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScLowCountry; 12-06-2023 at 04:29 PM.

Simpsons hardware in Sumter has some from time to time. A guy I hunt with got 6 boxes from them at the beginning of the season. If you had to switch I’d shoot something with the Accubond projectile in it.

i switched to Nosler Accubond 140 with good results. They too are hard to find. I may have a half box of balistic silver tips if you need them to keep the young man hunting. I will check when i get home and PM.

https://www.winchestersale.com/winch...ip-ammunition/
    I would call before I ordered.

I have a youth 7mm08 that shoots them like a custom rifle.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan