Thread: BJJ

Default BJJ

(Crude/witty joke about oral sex here) Ok, lets move on.

I'm sure a few of you have tried or are involved with this martial art? Anyone start later in life? Seems like you can't find anyone who does it without also finding out about their most recent injury? Are the two synonymous or can you participate and stay healthy?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Haha, thanks.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Son does Brazilion Jujitsu. He's 20. They do roll & there are injuries. Mainly nicked up type stuff. The older they are, seems the more injuries they get.

One of my best friends in Columbia is very into it. Says it’s a game changer for mental health, keep in mind it’s a non-striking art.

I started in my 30’s. With that said I don’t anymore due to time. It is a great way to stay in shape. There are injuries but sometimes they come from being a meat head. If you get caught tap.

My local gym does it. I just can't seem to see the allure of rolling around with sweaty guys and uncut toenails. I wouldn't wanna get into a wrestling match with them either.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    (Crude/witty joke about oral sex here) Ok, lets move on.

I'm sure a few of you have tried or are involved with this martial art? Anyone start later in life? Seems like you can't find anyone who does it without also finding out about their most recent injury? Are the two synonymous or can you participate and stay healthy?
    Much like CrossFit, people's competitive nature gets the better of them, and they try to operate above their skill level or below their age. If you can control that, you can drastically reduce the chance of injury.

Secondly, you're only as old as you are flexible, or inflexible, so mobility/flexibility work is paramount to injury prevention. GMB Fitness is a cool program created by someone who does BJJ. https://gmb.io/ .

Strengthen your neck. Iron neck is a good option.

Supplement BJJ with traditional JJ to learn how to fall safely. This is taught minimally in BJJ, but its the core of traditional (Judo). Otherwise, when rolling, try to start from the ground as much as possible.

Tap early and often.

I'm familiar with a guy locally who started in his 40s, is now a BB in his 50s and is legit.
    Last edited by everlast; 11-29-2023 at 04:49 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

My buddy started at 53 and quit at 53 because he broke his back. I would do something else. He is a lifelong athlete and is in constant pain now

All depends on the gym. I've been at it for three years. I started late in life after my oldest son had been doing it for nine months. I wanted to be able to keep up with him as he matured in the sport. You can go as hard or light as you desire. It helps if the local gym starts from the ground, rather than standing. If you go hard, you'll get injured. Injuries are more frequent and last longer at our age, granted I'm a little older than you. The cardio is unmatched (excluding wrestling). You'll meet all types in the gym. It's humbling. It's a melting pot of people and you get to know folks well. The world would be a better place if everyone practiced bjj.

I started at 40 and I’m 47 now…I highly recommend. Don’t try and keep up with the young guys and leave your ego at home and you will be fine. My son started with me when he weighed 70 lbs and now he’s 19, solid muscle and just keeps getting better. The first few months can be tough getting your ass kicked nonstop but stick with it….

Because one day somebody gonna try to take something from you and you gonna hafta choke that muthaf#cker. It's that simple.” - Ralph Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by Ligma View Post
    My man.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I always say that I've done it enough to know I'd get hurt against someone that's halfway decent. I wish there was a place closer to me. But it's definitely more about finding the right gym that has instructors that aren't there to just show off.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs