Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand hunting layering/clothing

Default Stand hunting layering/clothing

I’m on the verge of buying new hunting clothes. Mine are dated and well worn.

I’ve been researching Sitka, KUIU, First Lite etc.

I hunt SC 99% of the time with a 2 week stretch in the Midwest yearly where temps can and have ranged from 10 degrees with 20 mph winds to 40 at daybreak and 65-70 during the day.

I plan to buy an article of clothing per week until I get what I want.

I guess my first question is, do you think it’s better to spend the most on my base layers that could be used with my existing outer wear or buy the incinerator first and use my existing base layers if needed.

The incinerator suit will be over $800, and I wouldn’t have ever worn it this year out west, however the Baselayers I would have used.

I could easily spend $3000 on new stuff based on my research but I’m trying to spend wisely
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Sitka stratus bibs, vest and jacket. Fanatic Hoody, ultralight hoody, and a pair of traverse pants. Mix and match and you are covered for any scenario mentioned. Maybe add ambient hoody for extra warmth if needed.

I have the following and layer as needed.
    Sitka pro grade 140 and 350 top and bottom
    Equinox pants
    Stratus bibs and jacket
    Fanatic hoody
    Celsius midi jacket (discontinued)
    Stratus vest.

Combining those I can get into the mid 20’s. Any colder and you’re going to need fanatic. However it’s way too warm to use in sc 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post

Combining those I can get into the mid 20’s. Any colder and you’re going to need fanatic. However it’s way too warm to use in sc 90% of the time.
    I’ve got Fanatic and Incinerator and unless I’m OOS this stuff doesn’t see the light of day.

Kuiu proximity line would be perfect. kuiu pro 200 Henley is a great top and is on a good sale for black friday. I think you would be better off buying something other than the incinerator. For $800 you could get the proximity and furnace base layers and be more versatile. The kuiu 290 waterfowl full zip layers nicely with the proximity or if noise isn't an issue, the flyway jacket. Also the axis pants are nice. waterproof panels in the seat and from the knees down.You don't realize how nice that is until you get to the stand and a heavy dew has the seat soaked.

Message in bound quack head. Sorry for the double send.

The incinerator is too loud to bow hunt in imo. If that’s a factor. It’s swishey. The fanatic give you a more usable temp range and has a quiet face. It’s not usually cold enough during the mid west rut to need more than the stratus though.

First lite baselayers are tits - I wear the midweight stuff 90% of the time, and the heavyweight for late season OOS. The rest of their stuff will rip if you’re looking at a twig from my experience. It’s comfortable, but fragile.

Just buy the outer layer from kuiu or Sitka. You can catch a fleece mid layer at REI, cabelas, etc for less money.

All that said, I wore wrangler performance tan pants from the Walmarts and a hoody this year when I was in middle America. It never got cold enough to get the layering stuff out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    The incinerator is too loud to bow hunt in imo. If that’s a factor. It’s swishey. The fanatic give you a more usable temp range and has a quiet face. It’s not usually cold enough during the mid west rut to need more than the stratus though.

First lite baselayers are tits - I wear the midweight stuff 90% of the time, and the heavyweight for late season OOS. The rest of their stuff will rip if you’re looking at a twig from my experience. It’s comfortable, but fragile.

Just buy the outer layer from kuiu or Sitka. You can catch a fleece mid layer at REI, cabelas, etc for less money.

All that said, I wore wrangler performance tan pants from the Walmarts and a hoody this year when I was in middle America. It never got cold enough to get the layering stuff out of the box.
    I replaced my first lite base layers this year with the new Sitka pro grade. They are like silk compared to the first lite. I thought first lite was a little itchy but equated it to wool in general. Can’t go wrong with either though. Just figured it would throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Message in bound quack head. Sorry for the double send.
    Replied

After doing more reading online I think I may have been messing up.

I bought new merino wool Baselayers this year from 120g up to 350g.

I was trying to use those baselayers as my mid layer, but I was actually missing a true mid layer

For a Western hunt I pick Sitka simply because John Barklow is the product manager. Real world experience and testing goes a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    After doing more reading online I think I may have been messing up.

I bought new merino wool Baselayers this year from 120g up to 350g.

I was trying to use those baselayers as my mid layer, but I was actually missing a true mid layer
    Yes merino next to skin. It’s your ultimate moisture wicking layer. I personally always wear my light weight when needed. Then add a heavy on top of it when it’s time and drop mid layers for those below moderate temps but everyone manipulates their layers differently. Some of that was because of the itch factor with what I use to babe but the new Sitka pros don’t itch at all. It’s like wearing polyester almost.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-23-2023 at 01:18 PM.

I haven't understood a single word in this thread.

I bought a Sitka Delta Wading Jacket in search of a reliable rain coat. Spent 4 days in the rain last week in S. Louisiana, I was impressed. I bought an XXL so I could fit my Sitka Duck Oven jacket underneath.....if I ever see cold weather again in my lifetime. The Duck Oven jacket is obscenely HOT.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I have shifted more toward Kuiu proximity line. I have hunted with the Sitka incinerator jacket while it is very warm, it is loud as well. The fanatic series by sitka is very nice and very warm however, I found it to be very bulky, especially when shooting a bow.
    Quality base layers against your skin are very important especially if you sweat while walking to the stand. Also, your outer later needs to be windproof especially when hunting the Midwest.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Think expensive...

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

It is your money but for the 99% SC hunting, I believe you are overthinking it.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I kind of go lower budget with the bass pro type base layers and then a little nicer stuff on top. I’ve never owned Sitka but a buddy gave me a 40% discount coupon and I bought a traverse hoody and duck oven jacket. Talk about warm. Duck Oven is probably too loud to bow hunt but I rifle hunt and it’s gonna work great for me. After trying out the Sitka, I get why people like it. No way I’ll pay full price. I’ve got my share of budget type stuff but the outer layer is where I am thinking you should spend money. That’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I’ll having trouble figuring out how I’ve killed all these deer in work clothes.

For cold weather in the Midwest, I've got the Sitka Fanatic line, First Lite Sanctuary bibs, Predator Ambush jacket and bibs...Sitka Incinerator would be expensive and overkill IMO. Black Ovis merino base is cost effective (for merino).
    I wear the Ambush bibs, Sitka Celcius Jacket, and Fanatic vest 90% of the time and am good to go in cold plus wind.
    I would strongly consider the Code of Silence line...made by a guy in Iowa and it's legit stuff minus the Sitka price tag and geared towards bowhunters.