Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rack size this year

I think the racks are getting bigger each year or maybe social media has allowed
    us to see more pics than when we were growing up
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-17-2023 at 09:30 AM.

no
    Carolina Counsel

larger racks on our place this year. Perhaps due to us planting a little earlier and getting enough water in spring to grow.

I find that if I refrain from shooting the little ones I usually kill bigger ones. Historically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I find that if I refrain from shooting the little ones I usually kill bigger ones. Historically speaking.
    This is true. I killed a big 9 before Halloween and quit for the year. I don't want to be tempted by something that will be better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    This is true. I killed a big 9 before Halloween and quit for the year. I don't want to be tempted by something that will be better next year.
    I’m not going to take it to that extreme and just stop but me and my 8yr old have been shooting every doe that’ll stand still lately and it’s been a great time. Seen some super nice bucks also that’ll be grown if they can survive.

The two I’m hunting were bigger last year.

I've got 25-30 basket 6s and 8s on camera and probably 15-20 2½-year-old looking 8's running around. BTW - I had a basket 10 but BlackBart killed it...haha

I think we can kill a few of the 2½-year-old 8's without limiting the crop of future "big deer" too much.

I really don't understand the math of "let them go let them grow" crowd that kills so many 1-3lb bucks in-vitro. I'd rather let his momma walk this year and shoot his 130lb butt 2 years from now. I get more meals out of him than if I just killed his momma...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    BTW - I had a basket 10 but BlackBart killed it...haha

Did yall take any pictures of the deer and Bart with blood on his face?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Did yall take any pictures of the deer and Bart with blood on his face?
    I'll have to quote Black Bart to properly answer that question...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Forgot to add a pic. I have a bloody-face picture but Rubberhead said I failed to provide the "proper contrast". Heh heh.

Quote Originally Posted by scfarmer84 View Post
    Is that a Marlboro county deer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I've got 25-30 basket 6s and 8s on camera and probably 15-20 2½-year-old looking 8's running around. BTW - I had a basket 10 but BlackBart killed it...haha

I think we can kill a few of the 2½-year-old 8's without limiting the crop of future "big deer" too much.

I really don't understand the math of "let them go let them grow" crowd that kills so many 1-3lb bucks in-vitro. I'd rather let his momma walk this year and shoot his 130lb butt 2 years from now. I get more meals out of him than if I just killed his momma...
    Killing does leads better herd health and better hunting. Removing those mouths from the herd gives those bucks more food and a better chance to show his full potential. Not to mention you'll see better rut activity when they have to actively search for a hot doe instead of having dozens to choose from. The buck to doe ratio is so out of whack in many parts of SC it's hard to shoot too many does but it's real easy to shoot too many bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Killing does leads better herd health and better hunting. Removing those mouths from the herd gives those bucks more food and a better chance to show his full potential. Not to mention you'll see better rut activity when they have to actively search for a hot doe instead of having dozens to choose from. The buck to doe ratio is so out of whack in many parts of SC it's hard to shoot too many does but it's real easy to shoot too many bucks.
    Pfft like you know anything about deer hunting....

That whole prescription changes when the management objective changes. That whole prescription changes when the "carrying capacity" of the property changes. That whole prescription changes when the desired hunt experience changes. That whole prescription changes with increased or decreased predation or other changes in deer mortality.

But, the biggest reason for the steadfast application of that prescription is, as you pointed out, that it makes it easier to kill big, maybe recordbook, bucks. That management practice increases mature buck vulnerability. Baiting does the same thing and running with dogs does the same thing - increases a deer's vulnerability to the gun. Of course, those aren't the only ways to increase a mature buck's vulnerability.

The two I’m hunting were bigger last year.
    IMG_0023.jpg

I killed this one on the 6th up here in NC. 220lbs. Last year was the first time I had him on camera. Pulled his jawbone and I believe 6.5 but at least 5.5 yo.
    Pics 3 times last year and 3 times this year. Only time in daylight was this year the day before labor day.

This was him last year for reference on antler size.

IMG_4789.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I think the racks are getting bigger each year or maybe social media has allowed
    Yep, same with teachers.

We steady whacking chunks in Aiken Co, seeing the usual and had a early rut run that was exceptional. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I think social media also allows us to see bucks portrayed in such a way to seem vastly bigger than what they are
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I think social media also allows us to see bucks portrayed in such a way to seem vastly bigger than what they are
    You’ve got a point there.

i think we think we know.
    look at all the "my buddies and I were talking about this and came up with the answer" posts.

its either the dry summer, the wet summer, the early food plots, the late food plots or just maybe we shouldnt think we know what we think we know. I'll bet its just internet fodder for discussion. no one has the answer.

and every 8 point isnt the same 8 point as last year as many times as you convince yourself it is.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.