Thread: Ceiling Question

Default Ceiling Question

I just bought a new house and I'm doing a bunch of remodeling. It's an older house and the ceilings are not popcorn, but it's like the old swirl looking stuff. Would the same approach work by soaking it with water then scraping it off like you would popcorn? I'm doing as much as I can with the house before I bring contractors in.

Thanks

No
    Low country redneck who moved north

If it were me, I'd hang 1/4" drywall over it and finish it.

I'll defiantly never scrape another ceiling...
    Last edited by BigBrother; 10-11-2023 at 02:58 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I would find a vacuum sander and sand it all down. It’s going to be a pita and messy however you decide to do it. Me personally, I would rather sand than wet and scrape. Sand and then put a light skim coat of mud where needed.

Make sure your HVAC is off when sanding. And then change your filters a week or so after you’re done.

IMG_3816.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Ligma View Post
    I just bought a new house and I'm doing a bunch of remodeling. It's an older house and the ceilings are not popcorn, but it's like the old swirl looking stuff. Would the same approach work by soaking it with water then scraping it off like you would popcorn? I'm doing as much as I can with the house before I bring contractors in.

Thanks
    do what Big Bro said.

Depending on the age of the home I believe that ceiling could contain asbestos in the sheetrock/mud. Don't sand it, cover with new,tape, mud and sand.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I had a shit ton of popcorn ceiling in my house when I bought it, most of which had been painted over at least once, maybe even twice. I made a go at it, within a couple of hours I chalked it up as something I'd hire out. I consider it money well spent.

Our ceilings are all tongue and groove cypress. Ain’t much more than Sheetrock. Probably cheaper on a renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    If it were me, I'd hang 1/4" drywall over it and finish it.

I'll defiantly never scrape another ceiling...
    When is the last time you priced 1/4 inch sheetrock. It's twice as much as 1/2. I renovated a house with the swirled ceiling and that stuff wouldn't come off with a sandblaster. I wound up skimming them which was a pain in the ass but it was better than hanging all the ceilings

Dry. Wall. Guy.
    But if you must, scrape the thicker stuff as best you can, cut some mud with water, roll on with a thick nap and skim. Sand with one of them things posted above.
    Realize you should have called a drywall guy when it still looks like shit.

Find some Mexican drywall guy, pay him to sand it, skim coat and sand again. Hire a painter to paint that crap.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

There is absolutely no way to sand a textured ceiling and not have it look like Fido's ass without full skimming it...

Then have a product like Spray Plast applied.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just got off the phone with a drywall guy and that’s the route I’m going to go. First time homeowner here, I just didn’t know best route to go. Appreciate it

Congrats on the purchase. I've been removing popcorn one room at a time for years. I've only gotten three rooms done....

Hanging new sheetrock on the ceiling is definetly the best way to go
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Hanging new sheetrock on the ceiling is definetly the best way to go
    It’s the least messy overall. 1/4” shows a lot of what’s underneath though so go 1/2” type C. You still have to finish and sand. A good drywall finisher can skim, put a level 5 spray and then a high build primer on top of that original ceiling and have it looking good.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013