Thread: First time struggles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What zone, lake or river? Low tide if tidal, during day, rod and reel with treble hook. Interesting tactic they use in Florida I think would work in standing water, using a wooden dowel and animal lung. Check out one of Blue Gabe videos.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    What zone, lake or river? Low tide if tidal, during day, rod and reel with treble hook. Interesting tactic they use in Florida I think would work in standing water, using a wooden dowel and animal lung. Check out one of Blue Gabe videos.
    I hunt them in Florida and agree with the lung technique assuming it is legal up there. Find your gator and run over spot and drop lung back and wait a long ways away. Don't put pressure on the bait once he takes it, but instead use it as a locator for your treble hooks. Be careful to not snag your bait line.

Running and gunning also works great. We just find one run to it and toss trebles. You'd be surprised how many big gators just go straight down and lay on bottom. If you are getting within 50 yards of them before they go down you should be able to snag them pretty easy.

Also morning/daylight or right before dark seem to show the most movement for me. I prefer to go an hour before sunrise so I can spotlight around and find some bigger gators. Then pursue from there when it gets light.