Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Safe backdoor code

Default Liberty Safe backdoor code

And???

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Apple, unlike many especially Google and Facebook, seem unwilling and in some cases unable to unlock devices for the government. It sure would be nice for Liberty to just stay out of it and point to the fact there are professional safecrackers in every state. MG

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/apple...-shouldnt.html
    Dum Spiro Spero

Is Liberty the only safe manufacturer that does this or has this capability?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I wonder if the back door code is unique to a specific safe or is the FBI now able to get in any Liberty safe?

Is this really Liberty providing this, or SecuRam/S&G, etc.? Liberty is just building the safe and installing 3rd party locks/combination/keypad. So this "backdoor" would have to be provided by the combi/keypad mfr. no?

If the safe still has the factory combination I believe they would have it on file

Jan 6th related apparently.

Raided his house per the internets and held them at gunpoint.

I've heard that Liberty was sued once because a child got locked in a safe and nobody could get them out in time. That is what created the backdoor lock code policy that is being somewhat "abused" by a Search Warrant. They essentially have a "master code" that only corresponds to a "Series" number of locks. Lets say you have series A lock, and your neighbor has B, the code will be different. But that code can open any series A lock. At least that's the way it was interpreted to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I've heard that Liberty was sued once because a child got locked in a safe and nobody could get them out in time. That is what created the backdoor lock code policy that is being somewhat "abused" by a Search Warrant. They essentially have a "master code" that only corresponds to a "Series" number of locks. Lets say you have series A lock, and your neighbor has B, the code will be different. But that code can open any series A lock. At least that's the way it was interpreted to me.
    That is also my understanding. It's not a lot of master codes.

I sell safes for a living and own a large locksmith shop in West Columbia where many of you have bought a safe or padlocks for your gates. Almost all electronic or digital safe locks have a UNIQUE back door code that we can get from a manufacturer that sometimes allow us access without having to drill. Mechanical combination locks generally come set on a factory or unique combination and no back door code is used for them. We generally leave the factory code on a mechanical safe as the manufacturer would keep it and give to us if needed. We keep NO records of anyone’s combinations in our shop. I do know of a couple of companies that keep a list of about 20 combinations that they use to change your safe. If you lose your combination, they would only have to try one of those until one works. I think this is very unethical and we never would do that.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I have never heard the first part of that and do not believe the last part is true. As far as I know, every lock has a unique back door code.

Im glad I got my Browning from Rooster.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Im glad I got my Browning from Rooster.
    Thanks, your check is in the mail, Ha!

So Rooster, if a guy wants a good old-school mechanical safe that doesn't have any potential for backdoor access what are the recommended brands/models?

Can you change the combo on a safe?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I wouldn't buy a liberty safe after hearing about this

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    So Rooster, if a guy wants a good old-school mechanical safe that doesn't have any potential for backdoor access what are the recommended brands/models?
    The browning i got from rooster is mechanical. Had it 5-6 years.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Why is Rooster not a Sponsor or am I missing something?

The new house is getting a Griffin Gun Safe. Local SC company and they make a damn good product. The house will literally be built around it.