Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive/quality offshore hulls

Default Inexpensive/quality offshore hulls

Looking at options for replacing an offshore workboat. Looking for a manufacturer that will work with us for a no frills boat, primary concern would be a good offshore hull should weather be marginal (good ride/dry). I know inexpensive/quality is an oxymoron, but yellowfin/regulator etc won't be in the budget (likely ~$125k for hull and trailer, we would purchase power separate as it is on contract). I've got a few manufacturers/hulls in mind, but would appreciate some input from those that have spent time on a variety of vessels. Looking at 24-30', would be powered with twins Yamahas.

Primary use would be diving, fishing, longlining nearshore to out to the stream.

Appreciate any input...

Popping the popcorn as we speak...
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Older mako and spend the money on a restoration set up like you want it.
    For the ducks

Ocean master 31

Albe 26 outboard model

McKee 28

Older SeeVee or Mako
    every expert was once a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Pretty sure they will still build commercial hulls too and let you rig. On my radar for a second boat.

That or an old mako or sea ox to rebuild

For some reason I don’t .gov is going to allow a restoration project.

C-hawk or Privateer. I would be riding to NC to talk to some builders.
    cut\'em

I've been eyeballing this one:

https://www.stroudcraft.com/stroudcraft-2100

It doesnt fit your size requirements though.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Dusky would be another. They do commercial builds for a number of agencies.

The SCDNR has contenders, why shouldn’t you? I’d call and see what kind of program they have.

Dusky is a great option. I used to rent a parking spot at their manufacturing facility to park my boat in Fort Lauderdale in medical school , and I got to spend some time around the shop. One of the cheaper “quality” options. If Bouncer smith , one of the top captains in Florida, stuck with the brand for decades then that means a lot. I saw several commercial set up hulls at the plant while I was there.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Bouncer Smith-Wow. That was along time ago. He still alive?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Dusky
    McKee
    Cape Horn (don’t know if they still offer a workboat finish)
    Sea Ox?
    Competition
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yeah, should've mentioned restoration wasn't an option. I'm checking in on Contender, not sure if LE gets them at discount, but I know we don't have a contract.

We already have a cabin C-hawk (maybe 23'), and it's terrible in any sort or chop, not sure if there center consoles are better, but that thing will beat your teeth in.

I am looking at the Privateer 2800 Sea Prowler if anyone has spent time on them, also the Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 26, Dusky intrigues me...surprised their fuel tank is only 100 gallons though, but it looks like that can be upgraded. Pricing looks right, if anyone has spent time in one would love to hear about it.

Know money for some of the Contenders came from the feds so state would help enforce federal fishing regulations.

C Hawk, Privateer, Parker and Maycraft. Pilot house would be optimum. Judge Yachts was a good looking outfit I saw up in Ocean City last week. http://www.judgeyachts.com/chesapeake-27.html
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    Yeah, should've mentioned restoration wasn't an option. I'm checking in on Contender, not sure if LE gets them at discount, but I know we don't have a contract.

We already have a cabin C-hawk (maybe 23'), and it's terrible in any sort or chop, not sure if there center consoles are better, but that thing will beat your teeth in.

I am looking at the Privateer 2800 Sea Prowler if anyone has spent time on them, also the Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 26, Dusky intrigues me...surprised their fuel tank is only 100 gallons though, but it looks like that can be upgraded. Pricing looks right, if anyone has spent time in one would love to hear about it.
    Yes, the draw back to the pilot house is your position forward. Will definitely feel more of the ride.

To answer the Dusky's fuel capacity, its a Miami boat. 12 miles is a long way off shore.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    C Hawk, Privateer, Parker and Maycraft. Pilot house would be optimum. Judge Yachts was a good looking outfit I saw up in Ocean City last week. http://www.judgeyachts.com/chesapeake-27.html
    Forgot Parker, of course every time I’ve stepped off one onto a dock I wanted to forget it. Been 15yrs since I stepped on one, maybe they’re better but dang they beat the hell out of you.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

C Hawk, saw a 26 with twin Suzukis for 50k this week