Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fall gardens

From previous gardens. I've collected more arugula, red romaine, buttercrunch, and okra seeds than I need. But I always grab more from the end of Spring's garden into early Summer just in case.

The rest from Home Depot.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 08-23-2023 at 03:46 PM.

I should save more seed. We have a heap of lettuce seed. Bakers, Burpee, Local Feed and Seed stores, Johnny's seed, etc.

Collards, cabbage, green onions, mustard greens, and tender greens

"My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

That's a good chart. Google "Clemson HGIC planting dates" to get it online. For that matter, google "Clemson HGIC" followed by whatever ornamental plant, grass, or vegetable you're interested in for a relevant fact sheet and guidelines.

I wonder why it says lettuce is not recommended for Fall planting. My lettuce does well in cool weather, before the frosts start. I've got red romaine and buttercrunch sprouting as of yesterday. It'll grow strong until the first week of November, that's normally when we get our first frost.

I started my fall garden a couple weeks back. I have a few different types of lettuces, shard, bok choy, carrots, onions and garlic.
    I always do a spring/summer garden but this is my first fall/winter garden, so it's a learning experience.
    20230921_184457.jpg
    20230921_184540.jpg

Spring is finally here. I'm itching to get back out there and bring some life back into my little garden.
    I want to plant some late-blooming flowers like chrysanthemums and asters to add color well into the fall season.
    I'm also considering adding some cold-hardy vegetables to extend the harvest well into the cooler months. Kale, spinach, and Brussels sprouts thrive in the fall weather, and having a fresh supply of greens straight from the garden sounds delightful.
    As for garden decor, I'm thinking of changing my old furniture. Ours is over 10 years old. It really shows, and now would be a great time to get something new. I've been eyeing this rattan corner sofa set for some time now. I think it would make a cozy addition to the garden.
    Last edited by SCFoxman; 03-15-2024 at 09:50 AM.

I have Kale, leeks, and shallots going right now

I'm ready for tomatoes, and I did see 2th's garden.. no pics

Usually start to prep the soil after the summer crops are done usually late August or September. Plant Cabbage, mustard greens, tender greens, collards, green onions. I have even picked fresh greens in the snow.

Planted red taters 2/25 and putting the sweet corn in the ground Thursday Snow peas are blooming, planted them back on 12/15/23
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

tried a different location for overwintering my peppers, things do not look great. Dammit. IF no growth in two weeks, time to rebuy. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Planted red taters 2/25 and putting the sweet corn in the ground Thursday Snow peas are blooming, planted them back on 12/15/23
    How did you do the taters? In the ground or trash can method?

I got pretty lucky and saved a good portion of my peppers and a few tomatoes from last year (we had a very mild winter and I moved them all under my patio).

I have leeks, shallots, some garlic and some other crap going right now as well.

Couple weeks out from full summer garden prep.
    Last edited by Short_track_champ; 03-12-2024 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Short_track_champ View Post
    How did you do the taters? In the ground or trash can method?

I got pretty lucky and saved a good portion of my peppers and a few tomatoes from last year (we had a very mild winter and I moved them all under my patio).

I have leeks, shallots, some garlic and some other crap going right now as well.

Couple weeks out from full summer garden prep.
    In the ground. 2-rows. They are not up yet but should not be long
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"