Thread: Fall turkey hunting.

Default Fall turkey hunting.

Anybody ever done it with dogs? Seems like I remember somebody on here does it pretty regularly but I can't remember who. Since I can't really come with another combo hunt for the spring time I thought I would look at a Fall hunt somewhere. Any suggestions on outfitters or guides appreciated.
    Last edited by flockbuster; 08-10-2023 at 06:17 PM.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Now that would help the population

Never done it but it was a big thing in Virginia when I lived there 25 years ago. Had a friend / mentor that would tell you it was his favorite hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    Now that would help the population
    Not looking to do it in SC.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

While living in Virginia it was fairly popular to go shoot your thanksgiving bird.

I went many years ago near Greenwood/Edgefield. We would bust the flocks and call them back.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 08-10-2023 at 08:15 PM.

There used to be a show called American GunDog and they would occasionally feature this on their episodes. I always thought it was really cool
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I have no suggestions for an outfitter. But it is fun. And a lot of work if you want to do it on your own.

CF9184E0-80E0-4912-B2FD-4F8AADC4BE45.jpg
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 08-10-2023 at 08:52 PM.

I tried it once hunting with turkey dogs in New York state and was successful though it was over twenty years ago.

Google Turkey Trot Acres in Candor, NY.
    Last edited by Zephyr; 08-11-2023 at 09:01 AM.
    Hunting outside the box

Never done it with dogs. You can break up a flock though and call them back in without dogs rather easily. Hens/Young birds especially so you will be shooting a young jake unless the state allows hen harvest.

If you are trying to kill a mature bird, you will be better off finding their patterns and setting up for them. If they aren't bothered, turkeys will hold a similar pattern every day in the fall.

Many a thanksgiving bird was wild growing up. Not with dogs though.

Fall hunting used to legal in SC just not with dogs. It went away when the midseason closure of deer season went away in the up state. Never knew why they had that closure to begin with. Very few hunted turkey in the fall from my experience.

Maine has a fall season (not with dogs, to my knowledge). I went up there a few years ago for grouse, I could have killed all the turkeys I wanted. At one point I couldn't get past a group of 100+ on a logging road because they wouldn't move out of the way of my truck.

Done it many times in New York, at Turkey Trot and in Ohio as a guest of a very good friend. Great experience, look up Appalachian Turkey Dogs. Bred by a gentleman named John Byrne in Virginia. He has passed away but his son JT still occasionally has some pups available. Busting a flock of birds and listening to them trying to get back together is awesome. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Never done it with dogs. You can break up a flock though and call them back in without dogs rather easily. Hens/Young birds especially so you will be shooting a young jake unless the state allows hen harvest.

If you are trying to kill a mature bird, you will be better off finding their patterns and setting up for them. If they aren't bothered, turkeys will hold a similar pattern every day in the fall.
    Hunted fall turkeys growing up. [Dogs were something only coon hunters used where we hunted.] Squirrel season ran concurrently. Hope to bow hunt deer and do some fall turkey hunting this October.